The Student Room Group

C4 June 2016 Edexcel Model Answers kprime2

Scroll to see replies

Original post by 1 8 13 20 42
You not sat FP3 yet? I'd think they'll probably go easy after last two..

Na i sat it last year im just saying hopefully they make it hard.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 21
Original post by ajaxkiller
this is exactly what takes this piss, as humans everyone makes minor (arithmetic) mistakes, but this paper didnt have any questions that separated a weak candidate from someone who knows what theyre doing. Tbf, i think papers should be like june 2013 which reflects the point of maths.....

Agreed. I actually prefer harder papers, since the boundaries tend to be lower and you can still get a good mark even if you mess up a little. Easy papers, although are easy, there's always one or two silly slips that cost you to lose a ridiculous amount of UMS due to high boundaries.

Original post by physicsmaths
Ikr. M3-5 have all been trivial 😔. S3/4 were aswell. Only thing that has been hardish was FP2, hope they sort it with FP3 :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile

The FP3 was ridiculously easy
Original post by kprime2
Agreed. I actually prefer harder papers, since the boundaries tend to be lower and you can still get a good mark even if you mess up a little. Easy papers, although are easy, there's always one or two silly slips that cost you to lose a ridiculous amount of UMS due to high boundaries.

The FP3 was ridiculously easy

I heard :frown:. Sad tymes edexcel.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by kprime2
What makes you so sure? Last year the Fp2, s2 and d2 were all 67 for an A. Edexcel doesn't shy away from setting high boundaries. The C4 last year was 62 even though it was fairly tricky. Students who sat this paper will have smashed it. I'm definitely predicting 65 for an A

You may be right, it could be that high - nothing is certain. My logic stems from the fact that the modules you have highlighted are A2 Further Maths modules - so its likely that the candidates sitting those are talented at the subject at a level that is above average. As for S2, 67 for an A is pretty normal anyway, atleast it was when I did it :tongue:

You say that about last year, but when I had a crack at it myself, I only really found the differential equation and the part B) of the Volume of Revolution question remotely challenging. And that part B) really wasn't that bad as long as you knew the integral of A^x which students really should have known, given it had appeared before in papers and in the textbook.

I agree though, this paper was far easier than last year's, so it should be higher than 62 for an A, I would personally still back 63, but again, we'll never know until the day, so no point speculating :smile:
Reply 24
How many marks dropped for doing what you did the first time on 3) a) and forgetting dy/dx for pi(sin(pi(y))) and following through (hence getting both a and b slightly wrong).
Reply 25
Original post by Fas
You may be right, it could be that high - nothing is certain. My logic stems from the fact that the modules you have highlighted are A2 Further Maths modules - so its likely that the candidates sitting those are talented at the subject at a level that is above average. As for S2, 67 for an A is pretty normal anyway, atleast it was when I did it :tongue:

You say that about last year, but when I had a crack at it myself, I only really found the differential equation and the part B) of the Volume of Revolution question remotely challenging. And that part B) really wasn't that bad as long as you knew the integral of A^x which students really should have known, given it had appeared before in papers and in the textbook.

I agree though, this paper was far easier than last year's, so it should be higher than 62 for an A, I would personally still back 63, but again, we'll never know until the day, so no point speculating :smile:

Only fp2 is an A2 further maths module. S2 and D2 are not. I thought it was a nice paper too, but many found it challenging. Many didn't know the integral of A^x even if they should.
70/75 ums will never be just an A... maybe 90 ums for 70 as the paper was easy to make mistakes
Reply 27
Original post by championsweat123
70/75 ums will never be just an A... maybe 90 ums for 70 as the paper was easy to make mistakes

It was twice last year. And this paper was of a similar level to those papers.
Would I get A* if I got 70/75 in C3 and 69/75 in C4?
Original post by 1 8 13 20 42
It was twice last year. And this paper was of a similar level to those papers.

but you have to consider that less people sit the core maths than the further modules
Hi guys, can I get a quick opinion- what would 62/75 in C3 and 65/75 in C4 be in terms of UMS? Thanks in advance 😊
Reply 31
Original post by RGBlinkFrayXx
Hi guys, can I get a quick opinion- what would 62/75 in C3 and 65/75 in C4 be in terms of UMS? Thanks in advance 😊

80 c3

84 C4
Hi guys what would be 45/75 on C3 and 70/75 on C4 be in UMS

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by imran_
80 c3

84 C4

Thank you! Although wouldn't C4 be lower? Apparently the grade boundaries are really high...?
Reply 34
Original post by RGBlinkFrayXx
Thank you! Although wouldn't C4 be lower? Apparently the grade boundaries are really high...?

doubt it, theres a lot of people who found it hard too. 63 would be average for an A. The majority of people on student room are very smart
Original post by Fas
This won't be 65 for an A, more likely 63. Anyone who is concerned about it being "rocket high boundaries" don't be, it just will not be that high.

And for the record I am a neutral bystander. I did not sit this paper (just before someone thinks I'm a student trying to reassure myself)

That said, theres zero point speculating, just have to wait and see.

Although given that ^^, I do have to agree, that paper was piss easy. Wish I had that one in my exam than the one I got....

people need to remember that c4 is the hardest unit for the average candidate sitting this paper who doesn't do further maths so saying boundaries will be as high as 67 seems pretty extortionate
Reply 36
Just checked the model solutions by Kprime for C3 and C4 and I think I got;
- 74/75 marks in C4
- 62/63 marks in C3
If these raw marks were to be converted into UMS, would I get the A* ? Please could someone tell me what the UMS conversion for the C3 and C4 papers this year ? I'm getting really paranoid about the A* as I really need it for my uni course :frown: Might have to contact my uni just to see what they say if I don't achieve it.
Reply 37
Original post by Danllo
Just checked the model solutions by Kprime for C3 and C4 and I think I got;
- 74/75 marks in C4
- 62/63 marks in C3
If these raw marks were to be converted into UMS, would I get the A* ? Please could someone tell me what the UMS conversion for the C3 and C4 papers this year ? I'm getting really paranoid about the A* as I really need it for my uni course :frown: Might have to contact my uni just to see what they say if I don't achieve it.

Nobody knows but I'd say it's probable.
Reply 38
Is anyone 100% sure that the model answers has the right mark distribution as i remember the last part of question 6 being 5 marks not 4.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 39
Original post by beany101
Is anyone 100% sure that the model answers has the right mark distribution as i remember the last part of question 6 being 5 marks not 4.

Posted from TSR Mobile

They're right, this is the actual paper that I've written the answers on.

Quick Reply

Latest