The Student Room Group

Petition calling for 2nd Referendum - and write to your MP

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Good bloke
Unfortunately, your views give most people the creeps.

Although strangely I get heaps of reps and new followers when I post my views, so perhaps that's not "most people". :smug:

Anyway, I'm one of the majority who would now vote Remain if the poll were rerun.
Reply 721
This may have been mentioned already but I've only just seen it:

"Former UK Prime Minister Tony Blair says that a second Brexit referendum should not be ruled out in the process of redefining the country’s relationship with the European Union (EU)."

http://www.presstv.com/Detail/2016/06/26/472293/Toney-Blair-UK-Brexit-EU
David Cameron confirms there will be no second EU referendum:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0CALFna4rUA

(False alarm everyone, my mistake)
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 723
Original post by Cherry82
David Cameron confirms there will be no second EU referendum:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0CALFna4rUA

That was BEFORE the referendum was held, and was said in response to Farage indicating he wanted a re-run if he lost to a close vote (Farage said 52:48 for Remain would be too close - sound familiar?)

It was also DC who said he would not resign if he lost...
Original post by jneill
That was BEFORE the referendum was held, and was said in response to Farage indicating he wanted a re-run if he lost to a close vote (Farage said 52:48 for Remain would be too close - sound familiar?)

Oh really? So sorry guys, my bad for the false alarm. This was sent to me a few minutes ago so I thought it was most recent. I'll just take back my comment lol.
Original post by jneill

Exactly, I think the Bremain lot really are clutching at straws. Their staunchest ally in Bremain was greatly in favour of no second vote.
Reply 726
Original post by Cherry82
Oh really? So sorry guys, my bad for the false alarm. This was sent to me a few minutes ago so I thought it was most recent. I'll just take back my comment lol.

Maybe listen to a vid before posting it. :wink:

He even says "*If* the country votes..."
(edited 7 years ago)
I also recall reading on BBC earlier that Angela Merkel essentially implied the UK should be allowed to rethink this decision.

God sake I can't find it now considering there's a new story about the EU every 10 seconds xD.
Reply 728
Original post by Fullofsurprises

Anyway, I'm one of the majority who would now vote Remain if the poll were rerun.

How do you know?
Original post by Josb
How do you know?

5 people on the BBC said they regretted voting Leave, so Remain would now win.
Reply 730
Original post by jneill
Farage said 52:48 for Remain would be too close - sound familiar?

So you agree with Farage?
Reply 731
Original post by Desi123
5 people on the BBC said they regretted voting Leave, so Remain would now win.

Many people on here live in their London/uni city bubble.
Original post by jneill
Maybe listen to a vid before posting it. :wink:

He even says "*If* the country votes..."

Erm I had actually watched and listened to the video twice (I kept replaying it because of the silence at the end) but didn't hear the "if". Maybe it was because this video was sent to me with this newspaper article concerning article 50 being issued on Tuesday:
https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/1346716/eu-boss-says-britain-must-trigger-article-50-to-begin-brexit-talks-by-this-tuesday/
I guess I didn't listen properly. But yea, as I had said before my bad. It was my mistake..
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 733
Original post by Josb
So you agree with Farage?

LOL. On this, conveniently, yes.

If it had been the other way round then probably not. Isn't life strange...
Reply 735
We need a referendum based on:

- votes for 16 year olds and up
- all four countries of the UK have to confirm the decision
- lies and anti-EU propaganda in most of the media be brought under control via an independent commission
- British abroad and EU citizens living in the UK be allowed to vote, as is only right and proper

The referendum we just had was manipulated to generate the result.

Are you calling for censorship?
We need a referendum based on:

- votes for 16 year olds and up
- all four countries of the UK have to confirm the decision
- lies and anti-EU propaganda in most of the media be brought under control via an independent commission
- British abroad and EU citizens living in the UK be allowed to vote, as is only right and proper

The referendum we just had was manipulated to generate the result.

There is a place where this happens its called a safe space.
Original post by slaven
Are you calling for censorship?

I'm calling for the same level of conduct, impartiality and scrutiny imposed on the main broadcasters during an election to be given to the Mail, the Sun, etc. Not least because they are under the control of people who don't even pay taxes in the UK, or live here, yet are free to widely disseminate the most blatant lies and to coordinate these lies knowingly and clandestinely with the Leave campaign.
Reply 738
I'm calling for the same level of conduct, impartiality and scrutiny imposed on the main broadcasters during an election to be given to the Mail, the Sun, etc. Not least because they are under the control of people who don't even pay taxes in the UK, or live here, yet are free to widely disseminate the most blatant lies and to coordinate these lies knowingly and clandestinely with the Leave campaign.

That is not how the media work. You are basically calling them to transmit information that the government tells them. That is not freedom of the press.

Both sides had its own media and everybody was able to listen to both arguments. Even BBC who was supposedly to be neutral was in favour of the remain camps.

Is that how democracy is regulated in Brussels? You seem to be one of thoose who depend on EU funds and now are furious and scared they will disapear.

Quick Reply