The Student Room Group

16-17 year old's protest after being blocked from the EU referendum

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Gora The Xplorer
Having life experience is more important then being educated.

And I guess in the 3 months when I'm 18, I am gunna magically posses all the life experience needed to vote, correct?
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 21
Original post by saraxh

So they were three. :holmes:
Good for them. I don't usually agree with lowering the voting age, but they don't deserve to have their future royally ****ed by some nostalgic Little Englanders. They've already been forced through one recession, is that not enough?
I believe at 16, I could have made a decision based on my own beliefs and voted. I don't think that 16 years olds are brainwashed by teachers. When you finish GCSEs at 16 you no longer have to be in education and therefore would know as much as an 18 year old who did not continue in education knowledge-wise and can be just as immature as 16 year olds! The younger people who 'don't care' wouldn't care enough to vote just like the people who are old enough to vote that don't vote! I believe that 16 year old who care are aware of current events in the world and can make an informed decision on this, especially when something like this had a massive impact on them.
(edited 7 years ago)
Too many 16 year old, more than 17 year olds, are way too swayed by singular things. The fact is, that although the vocal ones are the ones who put effort into doing research and gaining a proper opinion. Do i thinm that allowing them would've changed it anyway. Nope.
Original post by Mathemagicien
Too easily influenced by their teachers, not enough real world experience. However, I agree that some 16 year olds are very capable of using their vote wisely

Perhaps we should allow 16 year olds to vote, provided they pass a political knowledge test? I suppose that could include some bias, so maybe an IQ test would do nearly as well

I think everyone ahould have to pass some kind of basic political knowledge test.

It really upsets me when people say they don't really know anything avout thw referendum but voted out becauae it seems like a good idea or that because change is good and **** like that.
Original post by Gora The Xplorer
''Old people without degrees are not clever enough to make decisions, but kids who haven't even passed their GCSE's should be given a voice''

Don't judge book by its cover.. There are plenty youngsters who make smarter decisions in life than some of the adults. Everybody should be able to express their voice, it's not just elderly who will have to live with the consequences but also youngsters or it doesn't matter?
For the sake of our democracy, do not let 16 year kids, cast important votes in decisions that is beyond their understanding.

They know nothing, and should only worry about exams and facebook
Reply 28
Original post by saraxh
Attachment not found

looooooool
Scary in my opinion
Original post by Questioness
And I guess in the 3 months when I'm 18, I am gunna magically posses all the life experience needed to vote, correct?

In the year or two from 16 or 17 to 18, most kids actually do gain a lot of life experience and maturity. I know I did, and most people I know had drastically different personalities when they were 18 than when they were 16. Obviously, there will be some exceptions; but for the most part, there really is a large gap in maturity between 16/17 year olds and 18 year olds. Often, people won't gain real life experience and wisdom until they get into the world of work, and start actually building their careers; which often won't happen until you turn 18.

There's also the issue in that between 16 and 18, many kids start to really come into themselves and become less dependent on their parents and other adults for guidance. Therefore, they're less easily manipulated by the adults around them. After leaving the GCSE system and moving into A-levels or BTEC, schools also start to coddle you less and will urge you to become more independent.

So no, 16 year olds should not be allowed to vote imo. However, if there is really this much support for it; perhaps we should have a referendum?
Original post by saraxh
Attachment not found

I don't think shouting "Don't f*** with our future" in the middle of the street is really going to help your case. I can understand, however, why these people are annoyed. I mean, it's their future too, but it really is very unlikely that all this protesting will change anything as far as voting ages are concerned. What's done is done, and the majority has voted to leave. It is invertible that there will be a lot of disappointment and division, especially given that there are only two options on the ballot paper, but it's a democracy and they can't please everyone all the time, unfortunately.
Too easily influenced by their teachers, not enough real world experience. However, I agree that some 16 year olds are very capable of using their vote wisely

Perhaps we should allow 16 year olds to vote, provided they pass a political knowledge test? I suppose that could include some bias, so maybe an IQ test would do nearly as well

If we judge the old people like this, half would not qualify.(IQ or knowledge)
I really do not want 16 or 17 year old's to be able to vote, and doing a political knowledge test would be hard due to biases.
Original post by Josb
So they were three. :holmes:

Other teenagers were there.
Reply 34
Original post by saraxh
Other teenagers were there.

How many?
So let me get this straight.

Little kids who don't know the basics of politics should be allowed to vote, but people over the age of 65 that have fought in the military and paid taxes for over 35 years shouldn't?
Reply 36
Perhaps we should allow 16 year olds to vote, provided they pass a political knowledge test?

thats a bit unfair seeing as many people that can vote don't know anything about politics yet still a get a vote, it should be a right not based off your knowledge. and say if there is someone that is 16 who has a very good reason for their vote yet doesn't have much political knowledge, isn't that bit unfair that someone aged 16 with political knowledge yet no good reason to vote gets to. if you're going to let any 16 and 17 year olds vote, make it all of them not just knowledgeable ones...
I think 16 and 17 year olds are basically young adults, if you're old enough to have sex, get a job and get married (with consent) and drink alcohol in a bar (under certain conditions) then you are old enough to have a say in your future. I don't believe that the vast majority would be easily swayed by others, especially if their education in schools is especially centred around being unbiased and encouraging debate between students.

People really underestimate what young people can do these days, because a lot of them are really quite intelligent people.
Original post by Blue_Mason
For the sake of our democracy, do not let 16 year kids, cast important votes in decisions that is beyond their understanding.

They know nothing, and should only worry about exams and facebook

That is not true

at 16 everyone has different mental abilities

at 70 everyone has different metal abilities

the fact that pretty much everything in the UK charges adult prices for 16+ says it all

so at 16 they should be able to adult things and pay adult rates but they cannot vote? makes sense
It's funny how older people complain about young people not getting involved in politics enough but when they do they turn around and say to them "no ur supposed to only care about selfies n facebook ur not old enough"

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending