The Student Room Group

My old university tutor is ignoring me?

Hi all

I emailed my old university tutor about three weeks ago asking if it was possible if he could provide me with an academic reference; He didn't respond so I sent him a second email about a week and a half later as a follow up just asking if he received my first email. I've had nothing since then, I understand it's peak university exam season and he's probably very busy but it's coming up to a month and still nothing whatsoever. Should I send him another email or just wait it out?
Try phoning them?
Reply 2
Original post by LittleBoxes
Try phoning them?

I'll try that tomorrow but I hate feeling like I'm harassing people
Original post by Anonymous
I'll try that tomorrow but I hate feeling like I'm harassing people

You're not harassing them, you need to make sure you get the reference.
Reply 4
I rung him up and he wasn't very helpful or enthusiastic about giving it to me. I have no other people in education I can turn to for a reference except my old sixth form teachers and I don't want to bother them, now what do I do?
I rung him up and he wasn't very helpful or enthusiastic about giving it to me. I have no other people in education I can turn to for a reference except my old sixth form teachers and I don't want to bother them, now what do I do?

Get the Uni Careers Office to push him ?
They can be quite useful in this sort of difficulty.
Reply 6

Someone else should be able to write you a reference - you must have had contact or done work for more than one member of staff. How about your Course Leader or dissertation supervisor if they're not your former tutor? Other than that, phone your old department's Admin team. They should be able to recommend a member of staff who can at least write you an impersonal reference based on your academic record. It's not ideal, but it'll be better than nothing.

Bear in mind that your uni and former staff aren't obliged to give you a reference. If they don't feel they can recommend you for a postgrad course, they might decline to give you a reference rather than providing a poor one.

Quick Reply

Latest