The Student Room Group

People who claim Brexiters are less intelligent than Bremainers...

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Samiz
Not difficult to explain, some remain voters stereotype leave voters to be the ones with bad GCSE and A level grades and whatnot, I was merely showing that I am not one of those people. Is the interrogation over now?

If you were half as smart as you thought you were, you would have realised those remain voters aren't worth arguing against and represent a minority of remain voters, whilst polls have found that on average leave voters tend to be older and less educated. But I just found it amusing that you believe Sussex is a University worth bragging about.
Reply 201
Original post by Jaska
If you were half as smart as you thought you were, you would have realised those remain voters aren't worth arguing against and represent a minority of remain voters, whilst polls have found that on average leave voters tend to be older and less educated. But I just found it amusing that you believe Sussex is a University worth bragging about.

I was never bragging about it, and I'm not really bothered about your self righteous opinion of going to Sussex when you go to Manchester.
Original post by richpanda
You usually start with 'people with a university degree are more likely to vote remain'. This is 2016. Anyone who can get 2 D grades at A level can get in to some university, albeit not often a quality university.

Let's take Kerry and James. Kerry is 22, and has just received her 2.2 in American Studies from the University of Wolverhampton. She voted remain because she wants to 'experience life' in Europe, and being in the EU will mean that she won't have to apply for a visa or pay roaming charges when she's on holiday before returning to work in a call centre.

James is also 22 and is the co-owner of a building contracting company that he started when he was 19. He voted leave because cheap migrant workers undercut British workers, and he is also worried about how the EU is becoming more authoritarian, and Turkey potentially joining it. He owns a home, has no debt and is called a racist by people online.

Still think a degree makes you more intelligent.

Lastly, the idea that Leave voters aren't just uneducated in general, but are also uneducated on the referendum. Because surely if they were educated, they'd vote remain, right? Right?.

Us working and even lower middle class people are fed up of being told what to do, how we're stupid and uneducated. Whilst you're sitting drinking coffee and eating artisan bread and reading the Guardian, we see nothing of benefit from the EU.

not having a degree is not what makes you thick, voting to leave the EU does because you are ignorant enough to swallow the far right xenophobia and 'we are more patriotic' propaganda
Original post by Samiz
I was never bragging about it, and I'm not really bothered about your self righteous opinion of going to Sussex when you go to Manchester.

I love how you completely missed the point of my post and instead reverted to a rather half assed personal attack. And clearly it bothered you enough to check what University I go to...
Reply 204
Original post by Chakede
not having a degree is not what makes you thick, voting to leave the EU does because you are ignorant enough to swallow the far right xenophobia and 'we are more patriotic' propaganda

Some remainers are still using the xenophobia rhetoric, oh my. Give it a rest.
Reply 205
Original post by Jaska
I love how you completely missed the point of my post and instead reverted to a rather half assed personal attack. And clearly it bothered you enough to check what University I go to...

Not really, you were clearly the only person more bothered about my university than the actual point I was making in my original post and I'm done talking about it. Is Sussex not a good enough university for your standards? Am I not allowed to be happy to be going there?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Chakede

I would not accuse others of being thick when you assume that patriotism and xenophobia are the only motivators for every leave voter. I barely paid any heed to the propaganda spewed by the official leave campaign.
Original post by Samiz
Some remainers are still using the xenophobia rhetoric, oh my. Give it a rest.

the xenophobia rhetoric was the brexit campaign not the remainers. now post vote - theres still plenty of evidence of xenophobia and general racism now on twitter and news reports - no doubt drawn to the surface by the brexit campaign
Reply 208
Original post by Chakede
the xenophobia rhetoric was the brexit campaign not the remainers. now post vote - theres still plenty of evidence of xenophobia and general racism now on twitter and news reports - no doubt drawn to the surface by the brexit campaign

By a minority of people who voted leave, yes, who do not represent me, or the majority of leave voters, at all.
Original post by 1 8 13 20 42
I would not accuse others of being thick when you assume that patriotism and xenophobia are the only motivators for every leave voter. I barely paid any heed to the propaganda spewed by the official leave campaign.
so you made up some additional propaganda of your own?

pretty much every answer publically given by interviewed brexiters was either ' too many foreigners taking our jobs' or ' we have taken our country back'
the idea of brexit appealed to the dregs of your society
Original post by Samiz
Not really, you were clearly the only person more bothered about my university than the actual point I was making in my original post and I'm done talking about it. Is Sussex not a good enough university for your standards? Am I not allowed to be happy to be going there?

No, its perfectly acceptable for you to feel happy about going there. But your university was part of the argument you were making in your original post, so clearly it is relevant for me to bring it up... If you don't want to me argue that Sussex isn't a University to brag about, then don't use it as a example of what makes you smarter than what the opposition generalises brexiters as.
Original post by Samiz
By a minority of people who voted leave, yes, who do not represent me, or the majority of leave voters, at all.

no the breixt campaign was run based on those criteria- thats why it appealed to so many racists. its not true to say that each and every brexiters was a racist chavs - but you have essentially aligned yourself with them.

anyone with more than 2 braincells could have seen substantial the economic arguments for the country as a whole for staying in.
Original post by Chakede
so you made up some addtional propaganda of your own?

pretty much every answer publically given by interviewed brexiters was either ' too many foreigners taking our jobs' or ' we have taken our country back'
the idea of brexit appealed to the dregs of your society

For me it boiled down mainly to sovereignty, but not for patriotic reasons. Patriotism is crap as far as I'm concerned. We can't propose legislation; MEPs are pretty much politically impotent. It seems clear to me that the EU, originally a trade organisation, is aiming for greater and greater political integration and, indeed, greater and greater power. Wherever there are opportunities to gain power, people will take them, and the EU, with its rather unpalatable system of electing its key officials, is one hell of an opportunity. It was sold to us as nothing more than a single market and since then has grown into something nobody signed up for, and I see no reason to believe that further growth in this direction isn't on the cards. The more concentrated the power becomes for so many people, the less accountable our leaders become, the more they can do what they like, the less the "plebs" can influence anything.

I do not buy that the economy will, in the long term, be negatively impacted. In fact growth in the Eurozone is rather stagnant and I trust you can think of some examples of countries that are not exactly in economic paradise to put it mildly in spite of their membership. It seems to me a joke that we are "safe" in the EU, we can all remember the economic recession that began just 8 years ago, and the EU did not save us. Furthermore when out of the EU we can actually negotiate trade deals with the rest of the world, something the EU has failed to do.

And as to the immigration issue; well, it is an issue. Pretending otherwise and sticking your fingers in your ears and screaming xenophobia all the time is not helping. It is labour's failure to address this issue which has exposed just how out of touch they are with their core voters. When we do not address these issues honestly and openly and objectively, we can certainly bet that the people affected are more likely to turn to the simplistic comforts of blind hate and scapegoating, and be vindicated in their feelings of victimisation as, indeed, nobody is paying any attention to the problems they face. Cultural chasms yielding insular, mutually distrustful communities and quick population growth are not trivial unimportant matters.
Saying people are racist because they voted out of the EU is the most uneducated nonsense I've ever heard. If that's your opinion then clearly you don't know enough about the whole situation. There's a lot more to it than that. What about democracy? What about the money that's been being shelled out to the EU on a weekly basis? What about laws & rules? These are just a few off the top of my head. Admittedly there's plenty on the argument that we should've stayed in too, Strength in numbers, trading etc, but there is always two sides. It is down to opinion and it was very close in the voting too. I believe that some did vote out due to the immigration situation, but drawing the racist card and tarring everyone with that brush is not fair on the people that voted out in my opinion
Original post by the IT MAN
Saying people are racist because they voted out of the EU is the most uneducated nonsense I've ever heard.

no, what is being said , which is many people voted out because they are racists - its a different thing
For me it boiled down mainly to sovereignty, but not for patriotic reasons. Patriotism is crap as far as I'm concerned. We can't propose legislation; MEPs are pretty much politically impotent. It seems clear to me that the EU, originally a trade organisation, is aiming for greater and greater political integration and, indeed, greater and greater power. Wherever there are opportunities to gain power, people will take them, and the EU, with its rather unpalatable system of electing its key officials, is one hell of an opportunity. It was sold to us as nothing more than a single market and since then has grown into something nobody signed up for, and I see no reason to believe that further growth in this direction isn't on the cards. The more concentrated the power becomes for so many people, the less accountable our leaders become, the more they can do what they like, the less the "plebs" can influence anything.

while i agree with you that eu has grown beyond just an economic union and that its political union creates issues- i dont agree this is all negative either. the EU law makers are instruCted to act on behalf of eu citezens and ignore partizan party politics - hence why they have imposed laws both to free market trading mechanism, encouraged profit making industry AND promoted employment and workers rights accrOss the board. they struck a blaance between socialst and capitalist ideals that no labour or conservative givernment have ever done in policy making - so i for one think it is a good thing that ( in some cases) the eu is there to ensure that a tory government cant simply remove all uk worker rights with no challenge, nor Labour create protected lazy government supported monopolies . Where it cant be argued that there is a need for some reform and de-centralisation of eu - there is no logic or intelligent argument from detaching from it completley. the brexit campaign avoided all the logical issues and stuck strictkly to the hate-mongering

I do not buy that the economy will, in the long term, be negatively impacted. In fact growth in the Eurozone is rather stagnant and I trust you can think of some examples of countries that are not exactly in economic paradise to put it mildly in spite of their membership. It seems to me a joke that we are "safe" in the EU, we can all remember the economic recession that began just 8 years ago, and the EU did not save us. Furthermore when out of the EU we can actually negotiate trade deals with the rest of the world, something the EU has failed to do.

only an idiot can think this ( no offence) already the loss on markets is many times the brexiters made-up savings from eu fees. it is the reason the entire world is laughing at the idea that brits actually voted themselves out of the largest trading group on the planet, that other countries are desperate to get into. the devalued pound compounds this loss and the future projections at this stage are miserable. the UK has prospered econmically since 2008 globally within the eu and outside the eurozone, with europe as its biggest trading partner. noone can suggest leaving this trading groups will improve economic situation long term, let alone in the medium term when all trading agreement have to be re-negotiated with the world - putting massive pressure on the ability of the future uk government
the average brexiter im afraid does not have the braincells to comprehend any f these issues- frankly i doubt they cared- they were only interested in making a 'protest ' statement, against the more successful parts of the country ( largely london) they may well find out what happens to money flow to their region is not to their liking in future years due significant money that is lost in t he london economy

And as to the immigration issue; well, it is an issue. Pretending otherwise and sticking your fingers in your ears and screaming xenophobia all the time is not helping. It is labour's failure to address this issue which has exposed just how out of touch they are with their core voters. When we do not address these issues honestly and openly and objectively, we can certainly bet that the people affected are more likely to turn to the simplistic comforts of blind hate and scapegoating, .
at least you aknowlege the primary factor behind much of the leave vote, and certainly this hate and scapegoating was the preserve of the far right for many decades, but they as a political group have become more mainstream and more effective in their propaganda, their attitudes have spread. i could equally say that sticking fingers in your ears and imaging that leaving eu would reduce overal immigration is again just as ignorant - seeing as brexit have backtracked for this assertion also - a lot of breixt voters are coming to the realisation that a lot of what they were fed was bs ( something the rest of us already knew).
this is not to say that there isnt a need for better imigration controls, but then eu migration was never detrimental to the economy - it increased pressure on public services- but the the argument can be made the uk governments ( not eu) are the ones for closing hospitals and not building enough schools and houses - where has been the mass protest about this? the ageing population is also a factor never spoken about by brexit
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by AverageExcellence

The 350m advert was on one bus and they asked a guy who wasn't even part of the official leave campaign

I had to stop reading there. I won't even bother with the rest of you're resorting to straight up spreading misinformation.

People have came to my door talking about it, it's been given to our neighborhood in leaflets, it's been in paid adverts + my extended family who live way out of London have recieved leaflts about it, it's been on national TV, it's been emailed. And you're here trying to say it was on one bus. Nigel Farage himself acknowledges that it was from the official leave campaign and STILL you're trying to damage control.

Just lol.

I wouldn't be surprised to find out leave were doing what Hillary Clinton is currently doing in America and hiring people to defend them.

It's tragic tbh
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by lucabrasi98
I had to stop reading there. I won't even bother with the rest of you're resorting to straight up spreading misinformation.

People have came to my door talking about it, it's been given to our neighborhood in leaflets, it's been in paid adverts + my extended family who live way out of London have recieved leaflts about it, it's been on national TV, it's been emailed. And you're here trying to say it was on one bus. Nigel Farage himself acknowledges that it was from the official leave campaign and STILL you're trying to damage control.

Just lol.

I wouldn't be surprised to find out leave were doing what Hillary Clinton is currently doing in America and hiring people to defend them.

It's tragic tbh

I had never heard that argument until its come out in the wash after, the overall point stands that we save 250m-350m A WEEK to spend on whatever we desire, that could well be the NHS but we can spend it however we like. You're acting as though the 350m figure was just completely made up and we won't be saving any money whatsoever.

You'd be hard pressed to find a leave voter who would say 'unless they spent the money entirely on the nhs then ive been misled' its a complete no issue whipped up by butt hurt remainers to try to make a point.

Meanwhile there are many remainers actively endorsing petition fraud to try to force through an undemocratic order... well done. You're very biased assessment of the facts are amazing you should work for the BBC or the Guardian
that could well be the NHS but we can spend it however we like.

So in otherwords, uneducated voters, the people this thread is aimed at, were deceived. £350mil is not going to the NHS. I'd be surprised if even 15% of that went to the NHS.
The massive eye grabbing £350mil was one of their main selling points. And conveniently Farage only admitted it was bs literally the day after the election.

And I love how you you leave out the part where you lied by saying the figure wasn't from the leave campaign just 1 post ago. Gj mate.

Meanwhile there are many remainers actively endorsing petition fraud to try to force through an undemocratic order... well done.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/nigel-farage-wants-second-referendum-7985017

That's funny. Farage seemed to say he'd do the same if remain won. But I guess it's only undemocratic when you don't agree with it right?

Also I haven't signed the petition. But you realize that the right to protest is one of the most democratic things there is? Especially when leave won on the basis of a clear lie? Or are you trolling at this point?

The same guy boasting about how smart he is goes and calls protesting undemocratic in the same thread. For the record the referendum is non binding. For all I know they could just assess the situation and reject the referendum itself in parliament. They're still due to further debate it.

And if you'd actually bother to research, they aren't straight up asking for a revote because "muh it's not fair!". They're asking for revotes to be done if there's below a 60% majority and lower than a 75% voter turnout. It can apply to any referendum. 51:49 is too narrow of a margin to decide the fate of the country, don't you agree? If the referendum was held on a different time of the year with different, for all we know there could be a 2% swing either way. However there will never be an 11% swing in votes just because of a small change in conditions. I think wanting a 60% majority on important decisions is fair.

Somehow, I'm not surprised by your lack of research into your own arguments.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest