The Student Room Group

Is prison the correct punishment for rape?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by bethwalker85
Money doesn't equal worth of a human being. Money doesn't compensate for mental and physical harm and you're deluded to think that it does.

Money can pay for counselling, for education on the subject for future generations, for greater funding for law enforcement.

I'm not saying he should get off completely free, or with the small prison sentence he got, but as a whole for society I feel sticking a 10-20% extra tax rate on him, possibly with a clause about what the extra money raised would be spent on, would be more beneficial than locking him up.
Original post by samzy21
I think it isn't. Once a rapist is freed from prison, he will rape again. They should get their d*** cut off and be castrated, that way they can never do it again and can't have children especially paedo's. It is one thing to rape an adult but a child is worse.

(I know women rape too, that's just as immoral but less common and I'm talking about males here).
Posted from TSR Mobile

1. Prison prevents people from committing a crime. You don't want justice you simply have blood lust.
2. Women don't rape.

Thank god we still have the ECHR to prevent barbarity like this.

Money doesn't equal worth of a human being. Money doesn't compensate for mental and physical harm and you're deluded to think that it does.

In law, that isn't true. How does sending someone to prison do anymore to repair the harm than forcing them to pay money?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Majority? Really?

Look at the Stanford rapist, he was given 6 months because his life was deemed too valuable to ruin even though he'd ruined some poor girls life with his actions. He was deemed a great member of society who's future was more important than a woman's.

You sound like a woman hating loser who's been rejected one too many times.

In fact the Stanford rape is a lie as well.

Well done, nice attempt to shame me by questioning my sexual ability.. Reply to facts by using personal attacks, my opinion is not valuable and I am a bad person because my views are different. Talk about free speech.

And the guy p there saying that women don't rape. Yeah by the definition of the law they don't because rape is classified as penetration, however women have and do rape in the same number maybe even more than men do. In fact the majority of child predators, it is just that their cases aren't openly publicised for the whole world to see and their sentences are faaaar lower. In fact most women lack empathy which is why your girlfriend will dump the day before your final exam or the day after your mother died.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Underscore__

In law, that isn't true. How does sending someone to prison do anymore to repair the harm than forcing them to pay money?

Posted from TSR Mobile

So if someone raped you & ruined all self worth you have and made you scared to ever do anything alone or let yourself go even a little it'd be alright to just pay you off? Give you £500,000 (for example) and then do a couple of months... you'd prefer that over knowing they were behind bars and away from any other poor girl they could do harm to for a very long time?
Original post by Craig David
In fact the Stanford rape is a lie as well.

How is it a lie? When there were 2 men who witnessed it and caught him doing it?
Reply 65
So if someone raped you & ruined all self worth you have and made you scared to ever do anything alone or let yourself go even a little it'd be alright to just pay you off? Give you £500,000 (for example) and then do a couple of months... you'd prefer that over knowing they were behind bars and away from any other poor girl they could do harm to for a very long time?

I'd prefer that if I knew that the money was coming straight out of their pocket and that they were also paying to try and prevent future rapes through awareness campaigns, education etc, providing funding for counselling centres for rape victims AND were themselves having to make regular visits to a professional, both to check up on them and try and "rehabilitate" them.

Given the choice between that, and the person being locked up, funded by my tax, to potentially be released ten years down the line even further detached from reasonable morals and society I'd definitely take the money.
I think they should at least be imprisoned for half their life or so, rapists can actually ruin lives so I think it's only fair if they at least get half of theirs taken away if anything.. Or as OP said, ol' trimming of the penis!
The fact that -we- let them live signifies something like you know it's ok as long as it's your first time.

Few weeks ago there was a mass rape of a woman in Brazil with video of the act posted online. Spending money on their rehabilitation is silly when you know the poverty levels and hardships faced by the ordinary people.

...I don't have any objection to see those perpetuators paying with their life :fyi:
Reply 68
So to people who say that rapists ruin lives therefore theirs should be taken away... should school bullies therefore be lined up out the back and shot?
Original post by Dheorl
I'd prefer that if I knew that the money was coming straight out of their pocket and that they were also paying to try and prevent future rapes through awareness campaigns, education etc, providing funding for counselling centres for rape victims AND were themselves having to make regular visits to a professional, both to check up on them and try and "rehabilitate" them.

Given the choice between that, and the person being locked up, funded by my tax, to potentially be released ten years down the line even further detached from reasonable morals and society I'd definitely take the money.

What you wrote is pure imagination. How can someone prevent future rapes? Raise rape awareness? That is all people talk. When I go out on first dates the amount of girls who claim alleged rapes is staggering, I just run away because : 1) if it is true I don't wan't to deal with the drama of a rape victim 2) if it is fake I don't want to deal with a crazy woman. Also do you think rapists care about anti rape propaganda and rape awareness? AHAH

You didn't answer the question, you did what so many people do when rape comes up and try and illicit an emotional response. How does putting someone in prison do more to fix harm than money? Putting some in prison limits future harm but it doesn't do anything for the harm that's occurred. In honesty if someone committed a crime against me I'd rather someone gave me £500k than them serving 5 years

Posted from TSR Mobile
You didn't answer the question, you did what so many people do when rape comes up and try and illicit an emotional response. How does putting someone in prison do more to fix harm than money? Putting some in prison limits future harm but it doesn't do anything for the harm that's occurred. In honesty if someone committed a crime against me I'd rather someone gave me £500k than them serving 5 years

Posted from TSR Mobile

How does it keep the public safe? How does it stop the rapist from offending again? Fine, not emotional but what about safety? If someone raped someone and paid 500k to help rape victims and the public etc, what's stopping them from going out the next day and raping someone else?
How does it keep the public safe? How does it stop the rapist from offending again? Fine, not emotional but what about safety? If someone raped someone and paid 500k to help rape victims and the public etc, what's stopping them from going out the next day and raping someone else?

I didn't say paying money keeps the public safe but the original point was that money doesn't help with the harm that's been caused by prison does. My argument is that prison does no more to cure the harm caused than money would. A system of fining someone astronomical sums of money for crimes obviously isn't viable in 99% of cases; very few criminals would have the money to pay these fines. Having said that, if we instead went down the restorative justice route I think we would have a more efficient justice system. It's such a childish mentality to say you did something bad so now you get punished. It's far better to say you've caused harm and now you have to make an effort to try and fix that.

Posted from TSR Mobile
How is it a lie? When there were 2 men who witnessed it and caught him doing it?

I might be wrong but I assume the poster is referring to the fact that he didn't use his penis but his finger. He was charged with rape initially but it was changed to sexual assault. If it had been a woman attacking the victim in the same way she would have been charged just the same. Rape requires the use of a penis.
http://time.com/4362949/stanford-sexual-assault-not-rape/

That said, hands and fingers can be possibly worse for the victim as poor Lara Logan discovered when she was covering celebrations in Tahrir Square Egypt.http://www.theguardian.com/media/greenslade/2015/mar/25/us-tv-reporter-assaulted-in-egypt-in-2011-readmitted-to-hospital
(edited 7 years ago)
No. But you know what is the correct punishment for rape??? An axe. On the neck, as well as the torso, the arms, and the d**k, not necessarily in that order...

No-one deserves to be raped. Rapists deserve death, however.
Reply 75
Reading threads like this really makes me worry for humanity.
Living as a victim of rape is a life sentence. I firmly believe in an eye for an eye.
I didn't say paying money keeps the public safe but the original point was that money doesn't help with the harm that's been caused by prison does. My argument is that prison does no more to cure the harm caused than money would. A system of fining someone astronomical sums of money for crimes obviously isn't viable in 99% of cases; very few criminals would have the money to pay these fines. Having said that, if we instead went down the restorative justice route I think we would have a more efficient justice system. It's such a childish mentality to say you did something bad so now you get punished. It's far better to say you've caused harm and now you have to make an effort to try and fix that.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I honestly don't know how you can call it a childish mentality. It's the way of the world, you do something against the law and you will be punished. Whether it's a civil case and you have to pay fines, that's punishment or a criminal case where you are given community service, fines, prison time or other, you get punished. I'm not saying all actions deserve prison time and there are criminal cases which are better served with a fine which then goes into preventing future crimes of that type, but in terms of rape/assault or anything that causes another person harm then I don't think that's the right way to go and definitely doesn't rehabilitate the person.

I do think prisons could be improved vastly in terms of rehabilitation and that many people come out of prison and commit crimes again because by now that's the life they know. Many criminals who have the mentality to rape/murder/harm most likely don't want to make the effort to fix it and if they show remorse then that's a mitigating factor in their case.
I honestly don't know how you can call it a childish mentality. It's the way of the world, you do something against the law and you will be punished. Whether it's a civil case and you have to pay fines, that's punishment or a criminal case where you are given community service, fines, prison time or other, you get punished. I'm not saying all actions deserve prison time and there are criminal cases which are better served with a fine which then goes into preventing future crimes of that type, but in terms of rape/assault or anything that causes another person harm then I don't think that's the right way to go and definitely doesn't rehabilitate the person.

It isn't the way of the world, it's the way of this country. You don't pay fines for civil offences and in fact civil law is not punitive whatsoever. You're argument here is nonsense, you're saying that because we punish people doing bad things in this country it isn't a childish mentality. It's a silly as you hit me I hit you back (something we tell children not to do).

I do think prisons could be improved vastly in terms of rehabilitation and that many people come out of prison and commit crimes again because by now that's the life they know. Many criminals who have the mentality to rape/murder/harm most likely don't want to make the effort to fix it and if they show remorse then that's a mitigating factor in their case.

Firstly you don't know how many offenders would want to try and fix the harm they'd caused. Secondly it's irrelevant if they want to or not, most people don't want to go to prison but we don't give them an option

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Brokensteps
Prison as a system for punishment is stupid. Rehabilitation is the way to fix things properly.

A rapist is either mentally challenged or unaware of what they did. If theyre psychopaths/sociopaths and are unaware then they belong in a mental health clinic, where they can be handled properly. If they are unaware of the damage they do they need to be rehabilitated.

Kinda similar to parenting. We need to educate people not punish them and use fear.

What if a rapist is aware of the damage they do byt they just don't care. Just like society is aware that eating meat is taking lives unnecessary but they just don't care

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending