The Student Room Group

Brexit - recognition of degrees?

Hi guys,

what about degrees from eastern european medical schools. Are they still going to be recognised in the UK after the Brexit?

Greetings
Reply 1
UK has left the European Union, so does this mean if you go to Europe for example Bulgaria to study medicine when you come back you need to sit the PLAB exam, to register to practice as a doctor in UK?
Reply 2
And how is the PLAB exam? I have heard it is difficult.
Thats up to the UK to decide. The actual BREXIT will not be official until 2 years from now, so you still have time. (24th June 2018)
Reply 4
Well thats a big question!
(edited 7 years ago)
You could try speaking to the GMC about this as they can give you specific advice as to whether a medical degree from a particular medical school is accepted or not, however as Galaxie501 pointed out, we will still be a member of the EU for at least two years, so at this stage i think its unlikely anyone would have the answers you seek.
Reply 6
You'll likely still need to sit the PLAB, irrespective of what happens. The whole thing is being absorbed into the new UK national licensing exam that home students will have to sit as well. There's no reason that now ex-EU medical schools would be exempt when home and "international" students have to sit it.

As for recognition, I don't foresee any real problem. GMC recognises medical schools and it isn't an EU/non-EU split.
Original post by Galaxie501
Thats up to the UK to decide. The actual BREXIT will not be official until 2 years from now, so you still have time. (24th June 2018)

Brexit won't happen for at least two years. And even then the rest of the EU could agree to an extension to the 2-year process under Article 50.

There's no reason we wouldn't still be part of the Bologna Process (which is not an EU institution) with widespread cross-border recognition of qualifications. I assume medical degrees fall under this but I'm happy to be corrected.

In short, it's too early to say with certainty what the new arrangements, if any, will be.
Original post by Duncan2012
Brexit won't happen for at least two years. And even then the rest of the EU could agree to an extension to the 2-year process under Article 50.

There's no reason we wouldn't still be part of the Bologna Process (which is not an EU institution) with widespread cross-border recognition of qualifications. I assume medical degrees fall under this but I'm happy to be corrected.

In short, it's too early to say with certainty what the new arrangements, if any, will be.

Think you might have replied to the wrong guy?
Think you might have replied to the wrong guy?

Nope - the first paragraph was in response to you saying Brexit will be 2 years from the referendum result - that's not correct.

The rest of my post adds to the thread but I was approaching a tunnel and didn't have time to quote properly :smile:
Nope - the first paragraph was in response to you saying Brexit will be 2 years from the referendum result - that's not correct.

The rest of my post adds to the thread but I was approaching a tunnel and didn't have time to quote properly :smile:

I see, but you said "Brexit won't happen for at least two years. And even then the rest of the EU could agree to an extension to the 2-year process under Article 50." , which is basically what I said.

What details am I missing?
I see, but you said "Brexit won't happen for at least two years. And even then the rest of the EU could agree to an extension to the 2-year process under Article 50." , which is basically what I said.

What details am I missing?

You said Brexit won't be official until 24 June 2018 - which is wrong.
Yeah it will be 2 years from when we invoke article 50 which will likely be november
Original post by AverageExcellence
Yeah it will be 2 years from when we invoke article 50 which will likely be november

And could be even longer if all 27 countries agree to an extension.

Its not likely considering the Junker and Merkel are wanting this to be as quite as possible, the longer it lingers the longer there is uncertainty in the market
Original post by AverageExcellence
Its not likely considering the Junker and Merkel are wanting this to be as quite as possible, the longer it lingers the longer there is uncertainty in the market

True, hence the use of the conditional 'could' in my post. But there's no precedent for leaving under article 50, and its solely down to the UK government when to invoke it, no matter how quickly France et al want it to be done. Interestingly Merkel did say she was in no hurry to see it invoked.

Unlikely though as its in everyones interests to get a clear plan and execute it as soon as reasonably possible. Being in limbo is damaging to both sides.
Original post by 999tigger
Unlikely though as its in everyones interests to get a clear plan and execute it as soon as reasonably possible. Being in limbo is damaging to both sides.

Equally, the amount of work its going to take is absurd. There aren't enough bureaucrats in Whitehall to properly deal with it by a long shot, and that would be assuming the painful and toxic decisions had actually been made, which the politicians are delaying as much as possible. We desperately need more time, as well as desperately needing it to be done and dusted in the least time possible.
Reply 18
Original post by Beska
You'll likely still need to sit the PLAB, irrespective of what happens. The whole thing is being absorbed into the new UK national licensing exam that home students will have to sit as well. There's no reason that now ex-EU medical schools would be exempt when home and "international" students have to sit it.

As for recognition, I don't foresee any real problem. GMC recognises medical schools and it isn't an EU/non-EU split.

Thanks Beska. I wasn't aware of this, where can i read more about this? That would really help.
Original post by ART26
Thanks Beska. I wasn't aware of this, where can i read more about this? That would really help.

Some articles:

BREXIT - https://www.medicaldoorway.com/brexit-affect-eu-medical-education-uk-students/

UKMLA - https://www.medicaldoorway.com/uk-medical-licensing-assessment-update/

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending