The Student Room Group

Official GCSE Edexcel Statistics 27th June 2016

The official thread for the Edexcel GCSE statistics exam on the 27th June 2016. Use this thread for revision help and questions. I'll kick start this thread with a question and answer game. Whenever you answer a question, you have to ask a completely different question for someone else to answer. My question is: What is the difference between quantitative and qualitative data?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Quantitative data is data that is in numerical form. For example, class test results.

Qualitative data is in a descriptive form. For example, text analysis.

Describe 2 types of random sampling
Simple random sampling (all items have an equal chance of selection):

1. Number your sampling units and put them in a numbered list
2. Use a random number table/generator to select the required number of random numbers
3. Select the sampling units corresponding to the numbers selected.

Systematic sampling:

1. Number sampling units and put in a numbered list
2. Sample every nth sampling unit
3. Choose a random starting point between 1 and n (using random number generator).

Question: How do you work out the relative diameter of a pie chart if it is x times the area of another one?
You use the formula r2 = r1 √F2/√F1

What is an advantage and disadvantage of quota sampling?
Reply 4
One advantage of quota sampling is that no sampling frame is required. However, a major disadvantage is that the questions could be biased.

What are the warning and action limits?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
GOOD LUCK GUYS!!!
Reply 5
AQA GCSE Stats Here: Warning Limits are when the produce is consistently above or below the target number (e.g weight), so minor action is require and action limits are pre-calculated limits where if the produce is consistently above (upper action limits) or below (lower action limits), significant action is required.

What is an Extrapolation Trap?
Reply 7
EDEXCEL STATISTICS GCSE
What is an Extrapolation Trap?

An extrapolation trap is a mathematical method designed to estimate unknown values from data given (for example extending the line of best fit beyond the values given from a data set) It is useful because it allows you to predict what will happen in the future. However, it is not always reliable because the data beyond the data given may not continue to follow the same trend.

My question is what are the key things that need to be maintained in order for capture and recapture sampling to be accurate and reliable?
Reply 8
Edexcel:

- The population size must be the same when the sample size has been taken
- We assume the marks/tags haven't been lost or destroyed
- each member of the population has an equal chance of being selected (randomly distributed)

my question: Why would someone choose a census over a sample?
Reply 9
How did everyone find today's exam?
Original post by lolol9
How did everyone find today's exam?

I felt like there were several key topics missing such as there wasn't much probability. There didn't seem to be as much calculations as past papers, and much more explaining which I'm not sure if that's better for me or not as I'm generally better at the calculations but because it's a calculator paper I lose marks for not writing out my method properly as as far as I see it's obvious and working doesn't need writing down. I think generally it went well although the last page was a bit of a disaster lol and I didn't know how to calculate standard deviation with the equation (we did a fair section of the course on our own as our teacher hates teaching it) and we'd always done it on the calculator not needing the equation.
The first question was unexpected... Everyone at school were stumped by it... (But we all managed to do it :wink:
Also, did people get 91.4ish on that standard deviation limits question? And could it be represented by a normal distribution?
Reply 13
I totally understand you, im the exact same but what did you get for the histogram question and the one where you had to chose for the appropriate sampling method?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by lolol9
I totally understand you, im the exact same but what did you get for the histogram question and the one where you had to chose for the appropriate sampling method?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ummmmmm
histogram I got
20 for the number of people between 95 and 110 minutes
and 106 minutes for the first 21 people finishing
I can't remember what part c was for the life of me (I might just be inventing a part C lol)
Then I put they shouldn't use the London Marathon for the New York Marathon as there is different terrain, weather etc. (I had other factors but I can't think of them now)

I don't remember a question about a suitable sampling method. Do you mean the one where we had to identify which method the company was planning on using and circle it? Or something else? What was the question about? <worries I missed out a page>
Original post by RaihaanUsman
Also, did people get 91.4ish on that standard deviation limits question? And could it be represented by a normal distribution?

Yesssssssssss. and I wrote yes because it was a near as it could get to normal distribution
Original post by RaihaanUsman
The first question was unexpected... Everyone at school were stumped by it... (But we all managed to do it :wink:

I agree...we'd never made a data collection sheet before! Made something up like from computing though so hopefully it was ok :smile:
I put no it wasn't normal distribution as 2sd was not 95% of population
Reply 17
Yup, sorry for any confusion but which sampling method did you circle for the company?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Did anyone understand the last question in the Edexcel Statistics paper?
Reply 19
It was 0.5, as AuB is A or B occuring- so you had to do 0.4x0.5=0.2 and 0.6x0.5=0.3 and then add them, at least that's what I thought was the answer

Quick Reply