The Student Room Group

Anybody else considering leaving the UK now Brexit seems to be going ahead?

In the wake of Brexit, I fundamentally believe the UK will embark on a long, slow drop into irrelevance. State your career field and what nations you are looking at moving to. The big brain drain will now strike old England.

I'm personally evaluating moving to New Zealand or Australia, my career field being as a ships navigation officer.

Scroll to see replies

Yes me and all my friends are defo leaving this racist wasteland.

Does anyone know what the job market is like in Australia for my gender studies degree?
Original post by Betelgeuse-
Yes me and all my friends are defo leaving this racist wasteland.

Does anyone know what the job market is like in Australia for my gender studies degree?

huehueeee bwwwoooiiiii
Leave, your not wanted you weak minded individual
I'm thinking of moving to Trudeau Land.
(edited 7 years ago)
I might try move to Canada.
Depends on how well London keeps up.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 6
I've got dual citizenship with Germany and shall be moving there next year.
Original post by cjxmc
I've got dual citizenship with Germany and shall be moving there next year.

Me too :five:
No, and you're not either. You're full of ****, and so are the vast majority of people who suddenly think they are highly sought-after members of the rootless jet-setting global workforce.
It just goes to show who really has the UK's best interests at heart, those who purport to stand up for the UK do one as soon as things get a little turbulent.. good riddance
Honestly, yes, I'm starting to strongly consider it, but had already been starting to consider leaving the uk. This referendum has strengthened my belief that I don't really fit in with any sections of UK society and it doesn't really offer what I want from life. I don't fit in at all with leavers, but I also don't fit in with remainers in big cities who I feel they are better than leavers in some way, and that their opinion matters more because they are more educated (like many on here might I add).
Strongly considering moving to Canada, which seems to suit the lifestyle I want much more, but I'll definitely be going there a few times over the next few years before I decide whether to move.
Oh, and before someone starts getting sarcastic like the guys above, I think I'll be just fine getting a job in another country with my 2:1 or 1st in economics from a top 5 uni when I complete my degree next year :smile:
I'm waiting to see what the outcome is with regards to whether the upcoming "leave" government can actually negotiate anything decent (unlikely, but who knows, maybe they will somehow get us all the wonderful deals we couldn't get before), and more importantly see what the situation is with Scotland in regards to an independence vote/staying in the EU.

But assuming both of those fall through I'll be looking seriously at Sweden, Canada, New Zealand and assorted oriental countries (China, Japan, Thailand etc.). I'd either be working as an engineer or a teacher.

EDIT: It's also worth noting I'm tied here until I finish my studies in a year, so I have no choice but to wait and see what happens anyway.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 12
Original post by AverageExcellence
It just goes to show who really has the UK's best interests at heart, those who purport to stand up for the UK do one as soon as things get a little turbulent.. good riddance

It's your choice whether to stay here, I have my best interests at heart. I know in Germany I can get a stable job in my field while here there is so much uncertainty it's not worth it.
Reply 13
People who want to leave will rapidly discover what "controlled immigration" means.
(edited 7 years ago)
I'd already got my job lined up before this whole mess happened, but I'm moving to Japan next month. I'd only intended to stay for two years, but if the economy here takes a serious downturn I'll stay longer. On the upside, with the yen being a safe haven currency my wages have gone up by over a thousand pounds a year if I'm sending it back home!
Good luck finding a country willing to take students doing arts/social sciences degrees.
:wavey:
Original post by VickyDoodle
I'd already got my job lined up before this whole mess happened, but I'm moving to Japan next month. I'd only intended to stay for two years, but if the economy here takes a serious downturn I'll stay longer. On the upside, with the yen being a safe haven currency my wages have gone up by over a thousand pounds a year if I'm sending it back home!

It was my understanding that Japan has negative interest rates.
Original post by Gora The Xplorer
It was my understanding that Japan has negative interest rates.

From a quick google search, I think that's only for commercial accounts.
With the 20/20 vision that is hindsight, I think that we should have not left. I always thought we would being the first decision we were likely to Brexit to see what it was like. I won't move for the moment, but if I did I would go when going to Uni

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending