The Student Room Group

Applying for a UK Passport

I'm a EEU national, I've lived and studied here for about 8 years and I am currently studying at a university (with normal fees and grants from SFE). Worried because of current results involving Brexit, I've decided to apply for a British Citizenship and a British Passport. However, I am confused about a few things:

- First of all, the 'Knowledge of language/life' section, more importantly the matter of tests that I need to take. Do I have to pass the Life in the UK test, even if I lived here for so long? I am aware that it's not living in general, but still...
- Similarly, I am unsure whether I need to take additional Speaking and Listening tests. Last time I took exams that had anything to do with the English Language was in High School, other than that my A-Levels and my current course are unrelated.
- I know I need to apply for a Permanent Residence Card. I've heared that I may need to wait a year after I receive my PRC before I can apply for naturalisation, however according to the article below I do not have to. I would just like additional confirmation whether that is correct.
https://www.freemovement.org.uk/eu-nationals-must-apply-for-permanent-residence-card-for-british-nationality-applications/
- I have never had a Biometric Residence Permit, but I understand that I will need one in order to apply. However, in the section 'Biometric Enrolment' I am unsure how to answer this question:

"Have you been issued with a BRP with a previous application for leave?"

I know that the effects of the referrendum may not come to life until a few years, but I've made up my mind.

Thanks in advance.
Can you not find the answers to these on the gov.uk website? That's the official government website so they'll have correct information.
Original post by Anonymous
I'm a EEU national, I've lived and studied here for about 8 years and I am currently studying at a university (with normal fees and grants from SFE). Worried because of current results involving Brexit, I've decided to apply for a British Citizenship and a British Passport. However, I am confused about a few things:

- First of all, the 'Knowledge of language/life' section, more importantly the matter of tests that I need to take. Do I have to pass the Life in the UK test, even if I lived here for so long? I am aware that it's not living in general, but still...
- Similarly, I am unsure whether I need to take additional Speaking and Listening tests. Last time I took exams that had anything to do with the English Language was in High School, other than that my A-Levels and my current course are unrelated.
- I know I need to apply for a Permanent Residence Card. I've heared that I may need to wait a year after I receive my PRC before I can apply for naturalisation, however according to the article below I do not have to. I would just like additional confirmation whether that is correct.
https://www.freemovement.org.uk/eu-nationals-must-apply-for-permanent-residence-card-for-british-nationality-applications/
- I have never had a Biometric Residence Permit, but I understand that I will need one in order to apply. However, in the section 'Biometric Enrolment' I am unsure how to answer this question:

"Have you been issued with a BRP with a previous application for leave?"

I know that the effects of the referrendum may not come to life until a few years, but I've made up my mind.

Thanks in advance.

I would hold your horses. We will not be leaving the EU for at least a couple of years yet, so wait until the dust has settled and there's a clear exit plan in place. You may live to regret applying for British citizenship otherwise.
Original post by Puddles the Monkey
I would hold your horses. We will not be leaving the EU for at least a couple of years yet, so wait until the dust has settled and there's a clear exit plan in place. You may live to regret applying for British citizenship otherwise.

Why would you not want to go for dual nationality as quickly as possible?
Original post by Duncan2012
Why would you not want to go for dual nationality as quickly as possible?

Because everything is up in the air at the moment and no-one knows how things are going to pan out :holmes:

Becoming a UK national could remove your rights to work and live anywhere in Europe, and OP may regret that decision once they've graduated university.
Because everything is up in the air at the moment and no-one knows how things are going to pan out :holmes:

Becoming a UK national could remove your rights to work and live anywhere in Europe, and OP may regret that decision once they've graduated university.

No, I was talking about dual nationality. Two different passports. One EU, one UK. Best of both worlds and keeps more options open.
No, I was talking about dual nationality. Two different passports. One EU, one UK. Best of both worlds and keeps more options open.

Not all countries allow dual nationality :holmes:
Not all countries allow dual nationality :holmes:

Which EU countries don't?

So Norway, Netherlands and maybe Austria. You learn something new every day. OP - what's your current nationality?
Yes you still have to take the life In the uk test. Everyone applying for British nationality whether you've lived here for 8 years or 2 years, you still have to take it. Such tests are essential if you want to be neutralised.

In terms of the biometric residence permit, you'd answer no as long as you've never been issued one before
I'm in the same boat as you (born in Germany), though I've lived here since age 10. Like others are saying, I'd hold off for now. We don't yet know what will happen or if anything will happen at all.

It's also really expensive… (rough numbers, with Hampshire NCS)

They certainly try to make it as hard as possible.
So Norway, Netherlands and maybe Austria. You learn something new every day. OP - what's your current nationality?

Germany for example allows dual nationality but only with other EU countries... so what will happen to dual German/British after we leave...? :dontknow:
Germany for example allows dual nationality but only with other EU countries... so what will happen to dual German/British after we leave...? :dontknow:

Which is why it would be better to have it before Brexit :-)
Which is why it would be better to have it before Brexit :-)

Not if you spend all the time an money only to have it stripped from you after we're out :eek3:

Personally I think it would be better to wait until there's a clearer idea of what the exit will look like, and then decide what you want to do.

Edit: It might be different if you've got a family etc. here and you risk losing everything in that regard :holmes:
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 15

That is the question isn't it. It isn't certain that they would lose it when we leave.
Not if you spend all the time an money only to have it stripped from you after we're out :eek3:

Personally I think it would be better to wait until there's a clearer idea of what the exit will look like, and then decide what you want to do.

Edit: It might be different if you've got a family etc. here and you risk losing everything in that regard :holmes:

No one is talking of stripping British [dual] nationals of their passports, that's just not going to happen.

If I were in OP's position I would be applying now. If anything is going to change, I suspect it will become harder to apply for a British passport post-Brexit.
I have looked through the gov.uk website and did have most of my questions answered, all I'm asking for is some clarification for the things I have doubts about (e.g. the PRC, Biometric Enrolment and mostly about the tests I'd have to undertake).

My current nationality is Polish, where it is accepted to have a dual nationality, however I was not aware of countries who do not accept dual nationalities.

Thank you for all of the clarification, I'll refer to this topic should I have any more doubts :smile:
Original post by katherine9609
Yes you still have to take the life In the uk test. Everyone applying for British nationality whether you've lived here for 8 years or 2 years, you still have to take it. Such tests are essential if you want to be neutralised.

In terms of the biometric residence permit, you'd answer no as long as you've never been issued one before

I am pretty sure OP would not like to be neutralised.. lol..

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending