The Student Room Group

OCR (non mei) FP2 Monday 27th June 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Ninji
I found M2 to be absolutely horrid, and so did two of the other three FM students I took it with. Will be really interesting to see what the boundaries for that will be...

Right before FP2 I felt just as screwed as I did before M2 (those two have always been the modules I've struggled the most with), and I was expecting the worst today, but I actually found the exam to be pretty straightforward. Not super easy but it wasn't the M2-level disaster I was preparing myself for.

There's no way I'm getting A* on Further Maths at this point, but that's alright since I don't need it. I might have barely scraped 90UMS for FP2 but I'm 99.9% sure I won't get it on either S2 or FP3.

I got 193UMS on C1+C2 and I'm pretty sure I've managed 90+ on C3+C4, so my M1 and M2 will probably count towards an A* for Maths as they're my worst modules.

I think I've got 200UMS for S1+D1 so that means I only need an average of 70 UMS on FP1, FP2, FP3 and S2 to get an A in Further.

what grades do you need for which uni course at which uni?? haha lots of questions
Reply 221
Original post by duncanjgraham
what grades do you need for which uni course at which uni?? haha lots of questions

My offer is for Computer Science at Strathclyde; they want ABB. I'm hopefully on track to get A*A*A, though the second A* is a complete wildcard; it's Applied ICT and the coursework might screw me over.

This means I can get away with a crummy grade for Further, but I really want the A for a couple of reasons -- my own personal satisfaction (I'm a perfectionist), and the fact that students where I live receive an award if they get three or more As.
Reply 222
Original post by henry_rolt.98
I think 61 will be enough for 90! That was hard IMO

Cheers for your solutions. I think after reconsidering the Maclaurin series approximation question, I may have dropped another 2 so its probably about 61 for me too. Ah well, I reckon I've scored pretty highly on D2 and S4 as well to add tomy 100 in S2 from last year :tongue:
There you go, full solutions, not 100% sure on mark allocation though.

Thanks mate, do you know for the sum to infinity rectangles questions did you have to draw rectangles, or could you just use words?

What do you reckon 56/72 will be? Need a B for an A I think?
Original post by Ninji
My offer is for Computer Science at Strathclyde; they want ABB. I'm hopefully on track to get A*A*A, though the second A* is a complete wildcard; it's Applied ICT and the coursework might screw me over.

This means I can get away with a crummy grade for Further, but I really want the A for a couple of reasons -- my own personal satisfaction (I'm a perfectionist), and the fact that students where I live receive an award if they get three or more As.

i hope you get the prize :biggrin:
Original post by Sonnyjimisgod
Thanks mate, do you know for the sum to infinity rectangles questions did you have to draw rectangles, or could you just use words?

I think words will probably be OK. 56/72 will probably be an A.
Original post by Sonnyjimisgod

I would guess they are after rectangles, and 56 would be a comfortable A I think.

what about the question which said show that zero is a root of f(x)??

iterations question

iterations question

That was 1 mark; all you needed to do was substitute 0 into the equation given.
Original post by marioman
That was 1 mark; all you needed to do was substitute 0 into the equation given.

wondering how many marks drawing the iterations diagram was worth
wondering how many marks drawing the iterations diagram was worth

4 in total, 1 for showing convergence to root b, and 3 for sketch and showing that an initial value between alpha and beta would not converge to alpha

Posted from TSR Mobile
For the series to infinity one, I got the right answers, however I didn't really explain how to get to them, I just wrote down the sigma as being less than the integral and went from there. How many marks do you think I lost?

iterations question

Oh yes you caught me out there! Just plugging numbers in though I guess
Oh yes you caught me out there! Just plugging numbers in though I guess

ya was a one marker, then i guess 3 marks for drawing the iterations :biggrin:

Could you just leave the Cartesian coordinates in q6 in terms of cos and sin so they are exact?
Original post by fordyarthur
Could you just leave the Cartesian coordinates in q6 in terms of cos and sin so they are exact?

I'm sure that would be fine. (Well, I hope it is, because that's what I did.)
Original post by marioman
I'm sure that would be fine. (Well, I hope it is, because that's what I did.)

Also, for the last one, like a divisibility one, could you show that if the difference between U(2k) and U(2k+1) was rational, and that we assumed U(2k) is rational, U(2k+1) must be as well.

I didn't do this, but I was just curious as to whether that would work?
Original post by fordyarthur
Also, for the last one, like a divisibility one, could you show that if the difference between U(2k) and U(2k+1) was rational, and that we assumed U(2k) is rational, U(2k+1) must be as well.

I didn't do this, but I was just curious as to whether that would work?

You'd need I2(k+1)I_{2(k+1)} rather than I2k+1I_{2k+1}, but it sounds like it might work. I'll allow someone more knowledgeable than me to confirm or deny though.
You've made another error by using 2k+1 rather than 2k+2. Also it depends on what you did with square root
Iirc getting 2(k+1) was rather important due to it simplifying to root 2 ^2k which is always rational

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply