The Student Room Group

2nd year applying for student accommodation?

I am due to start my first year of university this September and have opted to stay at home for this year (due to personal reasons). However next year I would like to move into student accommodation, I have even found one of the places that has studio flats where you and a friend can live together. However on the website it said that 2nd years can't apply online, so how would I go about getting student accommodation next year? (I definitely don't want to do house sharing with a lot of others, I want to go into the halls)
Original post by danuuutka
I am due to start my first year of university this September and have opted to stay at home for this year (due to personal reasons). However next year I would like to move into student accommodation, I have even found one of the places that has studio flats where you and a friend can live together. However on the website it said that 2nd years can't apply online, so how would I go about getting student accommodation next year? (I definitely don't want to do house sharing with a lot of others, I want to go into the halls)

Go to your student accommodation office and ask is your best bet but if you are going for university owned halls again you have most likely left it way too late
Reply 2
Original post by madmadmax321
Go to your student accommodation office and ask is your best bet but if you are going for university owned halls again you have most likely left it way too late

I didn't mean for this year, I mean for 2017/18 (I know it's really early to be thinking about that but that's just how I am)
I didn't mean for this year, I mean for 2017/18 (I know it's really early to be thinking about that but that's just how I am)

Ah okay, in around December just go to your accommodation office at the university and ask about going into halls again and they should be able to guide you through the process (you could email I guess but you'd get a quicker answer just going and seeing someone in person)

For my uni you apply in january and it is a first come first served basis and there isnt many rooms open for second years so you have to be quick, I imagine it is a similar process at most unis that take second year applications (some dont take them at all mind)

Though why do you not want to live in a house in second year? normally it is much cheaper especially as you overpay for student halls and it could be very isolating dependent on the type of person you are if you go back into halls
Reply 4
Ah okay, in around December just go to your accommodation office at the university and ask about going into halls again and they should be able to guide you through the process (you could email I guess but you'd get a quicker answer just going and seeing someone in person)

For my uni you apply in january and it is a first come first served basis and there isnt many rooms open for second years so you have to be quick, I imagine it is a similar process at most unis that take second year applications (some dont take them at all mind)

Though why do you not want to live in a house in second year? normally it is much cheaper especially as you overpay for student halls and it could be very isolating dependent on the type of person you are if you go back into halls

Thanks for your help! The student accommodation in my University (Leeds) is cheaper as you can get a studio flat with one other person (I already know who I'd move in with) and you go halves on it, so that would come out quite a lot cheaper than student housing. Also I wouldn't be interested in sharin a house with a few other people, I just wouldn't work with that!
Thanks for your help! The student accommodation in my University (Leeds) is cheaper as you can get a studio flat with one other person (I already know who I'd move in with) and you go halves on it, so that would come out quite a lot cheaper than student housing. Also I wouldn't be interested in sharin a house with a few other people, I just wouldn't work with that!

if your going to university of leeds then thats where I go!

If yes to above then I can help a bit more

- the process for reapplying for halls for second year starts sometime in january
- even though the deadline is march, all the good places get taken up straight away so try get it the application in by early feb
- its first come first served (unless you have a disability)
- you can either email the accommodation office or go in to get an application form, fill it out and just email it back to them and they will give you a room offer (I think you only get 1 offer though so if you dont get where you want you cant try again)
- if you want to go with a friend you have to put each others names on your own application form too and submit them together

info is here http://accommodation.leeds.ac.uk/info/200127/current_students/27/returning_next_year/2
Reply 6
if your going to university of leeds then thats where I go!

If yes to above then I can help a bit more

- the process for reapplying for halls for second year starts sometime in january
- even though the deadline is march, all the good places get taken up straight away so try get it the application in by early feb
- its first come first served (unless you have a disability)
- you can either email the accommodation office or go in to get an application form, fill it out and just email it back to them and they will give you a room offer (I think you only get 1 offer though so if you dont get where you want you cant try again)
- if you want to go with a friend you have to put each others names on your own application form too and submit them together

info is here http://accommodation.leeds.ac.uk/info/200127/current_students/27/returning_next_year/2

Yes I've applied for Leeds! Me and my friend are looking at getting one of the studio apartments in Central Village, which comes out at £91 pppw, which I think is a good deal for what you get! Thank you so much for your help!
Yes I've applied for Leeds! Me and my friend are looking at getting one of the studio apartments in Central Village, which comes out at £91 pppw, which I think is a good deal for what you get! Thank you so much for your help!

It is a good price but not sure I could share the same sleeping area for a year with a friend though aha theyd drive me insane

You're welcome!
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest