The Student Room Group

Particle scattering

Please can someone draw the answer to Q2. I find the ms difficult to interpret.
http://www.una.co.uk/Physics/PhysicsBPapers/PhysicsBPapers(A2)/2015June/G495-01%20QP%20Jun15.pdf

Thank you!!
Let me see.

An alpha particle has a positive charge, the nucleus too. So, the alpha particle has to be distracted like the one which is shown on the picture. So ar, so good. But as the alpha particle has a lower (kinetic) energy, the particle has a lower velocity too. If the alpha particle has a lower velocity, the alpha particle is slower to past the nucleus, that is why the distraction by the nucleus has to be stronger, thus the line which has to be drawn is steeper. I suppose so.
Reply 2
Original post by Kallisto
Let me see.

An alpha particle has a positive charge, the nucleus too. So, the alpha particle has to be distracted like the one which is shown on the picture. So ar, so good. But as the alpha particle has a lower (kinetic) energy, the particle has a lower velocity too. If the alpha particle has a lower velocity, the alpha particle is slower to past the nucleus, that is why the distraction by the nucleus has to be stronger, thus the line which has to be drawn is steeper. I suppose so.

Would you mind sketching it for me?
The force due to the alpha nucleus acts significantly for a finite time (i.e the force is macroscopically significant for an amount of time for which the particle is in close approach to the alpha).
If the particle is at higher speed -> Spends less time in close approach with the alpha
Thus the change in momentum of the particle will be less
(deltaP=F*deltat) as an approximation
Thus the path will be less 'curved'.
Reply 4
Can someone draw it?
something like this imo
ruth.PNG
Reply 6
Original post by Joinedup
something like this imo
ruth.PNG

Thank you!
As far as I can see, another user did it. But if you are interest in another scatterings of alpha particles, here you are!
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest