The Student Room Group

Can I still do Psychology? Someone help!

For a few years now i've always had a passion for psychology, scientific research and learning about human behaviour, however, something is holding me back from doing a psychology degree. I acheived a grade A at GCSE Psychology and I am on track for an A* in A level Psychology but only acheived a grade C in Maths GCSE as this was a subject I struggled with, although I was only three marks off a grade B and did a higher tier paper. I have already visited one university who said they would simply not take me as I would struggle with psychology at degree level due to the maths element. Whats made me more confused is that another university said the psychology degree is not heavy on maths and only consists of statistical tests, some of which are touched on at A level and I coped with fine. Will I not be able to do a degree or will I without this B, someone help!!!!!
Many universities have a B grade at Maths GCSE as an essential requirement, this is more to do with cutting down the number of applicants than because you'd be unable to manage the mathematical content of the degree. Unfortunately, it will still prevent you from applying for those degrees. The good news is that not all universities require a C grade, it may limit your options somewhat though.

The statistics in Psychology are mostly procedural, there is very little calculation you have to do. It will depend on whether they teach you to do the stats by hand - all statistics can be done using SPSS on the computer, so you do not need to know how to do them by hand (and when you come to do actual research you will use SPSS) but some courses like to show you the process so that you understand them better. Even in that case, the maths is easy, the difficulty is getting your head around the different terms.
Reply 2
You should consider retaking your maths gcse in november ? - you could revise for it over the summer
Unfortunately, I believe all top universities ask for a grade B in GCSE maths, unless you have taken it for A Level.

Your best bet would be to retake the maths GCSE.
Original post by url0velyhannah
For a few years now i've always had a passion for psychology, scientific research and learning about human behaviour, however, something is holding me back from doing a psychology degree. I acheived a grade A at GCSE Psychology and I am on track for an A* in A level Psychology but only acheived a grade C in Maths GCSE as this was a subject I struggled with, although I was only three marks off a grade B and did a higher tier paper. I have already visited one university who said they would simply not take me as I would struggle with psychology at degree level due to the maths element. Whats made me more confused is that another university said the psychology degree is not heavy on maths and only consists of statistical tests, some of which are touched on at A level and I coped with fine. Will I not be able to do a degree or will I without this B, someone help!!!!!

There are BA and BSc degrees in psychology, depending on what route you want to take. It would be worth your while looking into BA degrees, which may not require higher grades in maths.

Quick Reply

Latest