The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Insight314
Do you have Physics tomorrow? Good luck if you do!

Btw, that guy on the Oxford thread is actually making me angry. Don't you get irritated at least a bit by him? Or do you think I have too much #CambridgePride? :biggrin:

Thanks, you too if you have physics (and everyone else on here, of course, so long as you promise not to raise the boundaries too much)

I don't actually bother reading his long, structure-less essay-like posts, so perhaps I am missing something, but I do not find him too irritating, at least not irritating enough to make personal attacks
Original post by Mathemagicien
Thanks, you too if you have physics (and everyone else on here, of course, so long as you promise not to raise the boundaries too much)

I don't actually bother reading his long, structure-less essay-like posts, so perhaps I am missing something, but I do not find him too irritating, at least not irritating enough to make personal attacks

Yep, I've got OCR Physics tomorrow. Let's get that A*!

To summarise his long essay-like posts: he is delusional that Oxford Maths is better than Cambridge and that only Trinity College makes Cambridge even shine close to Oxford.

I am done going there anymore though, I get way too angry at **** like that.

To summarise his long essay-like posts: he is delusional that Oxford Maths is better than Cambridge and that only Trinity College makes Cambridge even shine close to Oxford.

I'm not getting an A* in Physics :tongue:

Why do you get angry at stuff like that? Who cares what a bunch of delusional Oxonians think? :wink:

Thought mathematicians were all about the data (idk I'm **** at it) but surely the league tables prove your point, no?
I'm not getting an A* in Physics :tongue:

Why do you get angry at stuff like that? Who cares what a bunch of delusional Oxonians think? :wink:

I don't know to be honest, and there was no point in even arguing with a delusional Oxonian. It is not like at some point he would agree that his university is inferior to another university which is pretty understandable but also completely irrational. I guess I get easily irritated by irrationality like that, which I suppose makes me irrational in the process, haha.
Original post by PhysicsIP2016
Thought mathematicians were all about the data (idk I'm **** at it) but surely the league tables prove your point, no?

That's what irritated me the most - he acted in a completely irrational way. Of course the league tables prove my point, but even if you supply an irrational person with all the data that could disprove his argument, they would still continue believing in their delusions; this is what makes someone irrational. He is so emotionally attached to thinking that Oxford is better than Cambridge that he would not even consider any kind of data that disprove his view.
Original post by PhysicsIP2016

Don't let league tables deceive you, they are hilariously bad at ranking Universities :wink:

Not sure how best to rank Unis for maths, but I recall a professor at Manchester who attempted this on his blog, it was an interesting read, he looked at things like grants, Fields (and other) Medals, research output, career prospects, ...

And he also detailed why he doesn't care for league tables (especially the Guardian's), e.g. student satisfaction (ignorance is bliss), % who have a job (surely quality matters too?), entrance requirements (UCAS points? STEP is worth 0, while music awards are worth >0), ...

(It put Cambridge ahead by a lot, of course)
(edited 7 years ago)
That's what irritated me the most - he acted in a completely irrational way. Of course the league tables prove my point, but even if you supply an irrational person with all the data that could disprove his argument, they would still continue believing in their delusions; this is what makes someone irrational. He is so emotionally attached to thinking that Oxford is better than Cambridge that he would not even consider any kind of data that disprove his view.

It's not worth wasting your time over things like that - it's quite understandable for him to get emotionally invested in something, but not to the extent where you trash the efforts of those that have to go through tougher barriers. Oxford maths is in no way awful but it certainly doesn't have as strong a reputation as Cambridge and other universities that require STEP. As for the Trinity College upholding the reputation of the University, that's pretty silly coming from someone who wants to go to another collegiate university :P
(edited 7 years ago)
Don't let league tables deceive you, they are hilariously bad at ranking Universities :wink:

Not sure how best to rank Unis for maths, but I recall a professor at Manchester who attempted this on his blog, it was an interesting read, he looked at things like grants, Fields (and other) Medals, research output, career prospects, ...

And he also detailed why he doesn't care for league tables (especially the Guardian's), e.g. student satisfaction (ignorance is bliss), % who have a job (surely quality matters too?), entrance requirements (UCAS points? STEP is worth 0, while music awards are worth >0), ...

(It put Cambridge ahead by a lot, of course)

That's interesting!
There are so many different factors that make up a good university that it's hard to really know which factors are the most important (though I do agree that there are some silly ways of ranking, like you mentioned). I never really thought that choosing a university should be solely based on overall rankings in league tables anyway, there are a number of good universities that, as long as you have a good work ethic and strong ability in your subject there is no way that you can get out of a university (particularly RG ones) without a good degree. I think that is what will save me from deep depression in the case of a Cambridge rejection - my insurance is Warwick, which felt like a good backup that I would be happy to go to, especially for Physics.

Lol you actually get angry.
I just do it to piss them off lol.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by physicsmaths
Lol you actually get angry.
I just do it to piss them off lol.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Lol.

Physics tomorrow and then part IA. Are you ready? A* incoming.
Lol.

Physics tomorrow and then part IA. Are you ready? A* incoming.

Lol.
Lucky if I scrape an A tbh.
No A* probably altho it could happen but I hoghly doubt it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
People, please leave the Oxford Maths thread alone.

Original post by jneill
People, please leave the Oxford Maths thread alone.

Lol, did I get banned from the Oxford thread?
Lol, did I get banned from the Oxford thread?

Yep.
Lol @ England

More lol @ me for having a bit of hope in them

:cry:
Exams are done and my game is taking awhile to download so I'm going to make a start on M3.

How are you all spending your time? I'm bored already. Have delayed returning to work.
FP2 out the way, could have gone worse though I screwed up the hyperbolic functions question at the end... kind of doesn't feel possible that I'm done :biggrin:

Wondering whether to start learning AS Chem or S3 and S4 first... anyone got tips for either of them?
Original post by Kvothe the arcane
Exams are done and my game is taking awhile to download so I'm going to make a start on M3.

How are you all spending your time? I'm bored already. Have delayed returning to work.

M3?

My exams are not done yet, last exam is Physics which is tomorrow. :smile: I am planning on doing part IA after that exam though.
Original post by Mostly_Crazy
FP2 out the way, could have gone worse though I screwed up the hyperbolic functions question at the end... kind of doesn't feel possible that I'm done :biggrin:

Wondering whether to start learning AS Chem or S3 and S4 first... anyone got tips for either of them?

Wait. Why are you guys learning A-levels wtf, I am confused. :confused:

Latest

Trending

Trending