The Student Room Group

Should there be a general knowledge GCSE?

I don't know whether you'll all agree, but I have always thought there should be a general knowledge GCSE. I'm not the brightest at things like biology, but as far as general knowledge goes, I'd get full marks or at least very close. I know so much obscure stuff, but I never really get anything to show for it, which a GCSE would do perfectly.
Who on here thinks it's a good idea?:smile:

Scroll to see replies

Ahhh I wish
Reply 2
What type of questions?
Original post by hchc
I don't know whether you'll all agree, but I have always thought there should be a general knowledge GCSE. I'm not the brightest at things like biology, but as far as general knowledge goes, I'd get full marks or at least very close. I know so much obscure stuff, but I never really get anything to show for it, which a GCSE would do perfectly.

I think there should be because it helps as they are important things to know and that helps you in the future.
I think its a good idea, most GCSE students (myself included) mostly memorise things and regurgitate them in an exam and forget them the week after the exam is done. This is useless. Education should be about knowing things that are useful in life, not just a memory test.
Reply 5
This is my logic exactly. Most people just regurgitate textbooks in exams and forget the stuff after. A general knowledge exam would be a measure of everything learnt ever. It would allow people to get recognition for all the obscure knowledge they have. Ask me who invented molten steel, or when Jeanne Calment was born or other obscure stuff and I'll give you the answer, which is more impressive than regurgitating the function of a kidney.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 6
Several exam boards offer a General Studies GCSE but I don't know how "general knowledge"-based that is.
Original post by hchc

Yes certainly. A* would be nice for a change.
Reply 8
What are we going to define as general knowledge?
Original post by hchc

How do you revise for it? Learn anything and everything
Reply 10
Original post by hchc
This is my logic exactly. Most people just regurgitate textbooks in exams and forget the stuff after. A general knowledge exam would be a measure of everything learnt ever. It would allow people to get recognition for all the obscure knowledge they have. Ask me who invented molten steel, or when Jeanne Calment was born or other obscure stuff and I'll give you the answer, which is more impressive than regurgitating the function of a kidney.

But less useful :biggrin:
Thought that was general studies?
You have opportunities to demonstrate outside knowledge after GCSEs anyway. A general knowledge GCSE is a terrible idea.
its not really pratical what would be the spec for it and would't it just measure how much things you know, and not really intelligence. I dont think its a good idea becuase of how subjective the topic is
Too subjective, doesn't work.

For example, I could tell you all about how rock and metal came to be, but I know **** all about popular chart music from any decade. A majority of people would be the opposite.
Reply 15
Original post by theBranicAc
its not really pratical what would be the spec for it and would't it just measure how much things you know, and not really intelligence. I dont think its a good idea becuase of how subjective the topic is

It shows more intelligence than just regurgitating textbooks onto paper.
Reply 16
Original post by EuanF
But less useful :biggrin:

But more impressive:-p
The only problem is, in General Knowledge, literally anything could come up. There could be a paper one year for it in which nobody knew the answer to a single question, an entire nationwide failure of a GCSE.
Original post by hchc
It shows more intelligence than just regurgitating textbooks onto paper.

no all gcse are about memory

Original post by Woody_Pigeon
The only problem is, in General Knowledge, literally anything could come up. There could be a paper one year for it in which nobody knew the answer to a single question, an entire nationwide failure of a GCSE.

excatly
Should be a paper with like key stage 2 answers for questions and common sense.

Quick Reply

Latest