The Student Room Group

People who supported Brexit - do you feel conned?

Scroll to see replies

Okay? My points stand.
Original post by InnerTemple
3)True, although we could potentially talk our way out of this by using Germany as leverage.

You're completely delusional
Original post by EuanF

Remaining in the single market =/= member of single market - Mexico for example has access but is not a member.

Mexico have a FTA. It isn't the same as what we want.

Original post by Elivercury

What really shocks me is this talk of waiting 1-2 years to start our 2 year leaving process....I thought we wanted out ASAP?

It is because the Leave campaign don't have a clue! They saw how violently the economy reacted. They know that really, the UK needs access to the single market.

If they invoke Art. 50, they set the two year clock ticking. Then, at the end of this, we are screwed. That's why Boris was so keen to have informal negotiations first... however the Germans and other member states have said no to this.
(edited 7 years ago)
Okay? My points stand.

My points also still stand

1) Nobody claimed 100% certain that all the money saved would go to the NHS, they may have implied it, which is still not the same

2) You agreed with me on that, didn't you?

3) The OP asked for our opinions personally, I stated that I didn't care about immigration and it certainly wasn't the reason I voted Leave therefore why should I feel conned? Immigration didn't influence my vote
I dont feel conned.

I feel flippin free and Im grateful.
Original post by Shumaya
You're completely delusional

Think you quoted the wrong person?

Did you ever say why you'd voted to leave?

Original post by Naveed-7
I dont feel conned.

I feel flippin free and Im grateful.

That's excellent! So what have you been able to do in the last 5 days that you couldn't before?
(edited 7 years ago)
Think you quoted the wrong person?

Did you ever say why you'd voted to leave?

No because I'd prefer to keep it private.
Five days after the referendum, and the Brexit case is already unravelling. Boris, the man most likely to be key to building our new relationship seems keen to replace the EU with the EU.

The blunders of Boris Johnson really do sum up the whole thing. In line with what many brainwashed Brexit supporters were saying, Johnson went on about an agreement being struck quite quickly. We'd have informal chats - the EU would be begging for us to work with them. Then Boris told us that the German business group, the BDI, were all for the UK getting a special deal. He then reassured us that the Pound was stabilising.

All those things were untrue, and by Monday lunchtime, the wall of lies was falling to pieces:

£350m (apparently) spent on the EU would be directed to the NHS... nope, that was a mistake.

Britain will be free from the EU and regain 'sovereignty'... nope, that's not the case.

Leaving the EU will lead to immigration falling... oops, another mistake!

So, if you supported Brexit, how do you feel? Things like cost, immigration and sovereignty were central to the campaign - and it seems that your beloved leaders are ready to turn their backs on these areas.

Your logic: Nigel Farage says something opposite to the official leave campaign, so you attack the leave campaign for lying. You are only digging a hole for yourself. You should know Farage wasn't part of vote leave and it was vote leave who made the 350 million claim.

And I am a remain supporter.
Original post by TercioOfParma
3)True, although we could potentially talk our way out of this by using Germany as leverage.

You're delusional if you believe this is possible.
Fair point, the discussion was about how you/we feel personally, not about the average voter. I've definitely seen the NHS business in a pamphlet of some kind, but I throw them all out (for both sides) so I couldn't say who it was from.
1. Except the bus that had it written on the side?

People need to get over this denial.
Fair enough! I'd find it amazing if many leave supporters were happy with what looks likely. Your reasons for leaving must have been niche!

Original post by Manchester_123
Your logic: Nigel Farage says something opposite to the official leave campaign, so you attack the leave campaign for lying. You are only digging a hole for yourself. If you have a single brain cell you would know Farage wasn't part of vote leave and it was vote leave who made the 350 million claim.

And I am a remain supporter. You really are intellectually challenged

Since you claim to have greater brain power than me, you'll know that Ian Duncan Smith was part of the leave campaign. And on Sunday he retracted the £350m NHS spending promise.
Original post by JordanL_
1. Except the bus that had it written on the side?

People need to get over this denial.

See post 16
Original post by Manchester_123
Your logic: Nigel Farage says something opposite to the official leave campaign, so you attack the leave campaign for lying. You are only digging a hole for yourself. If you have a single brain cell you would know Farage wasn't part of vote leave and it was vote leave who made the 350 million claim.

And I am a remain supporter. You really are intellectually challenged

Ian Duncan Smith was on the official leave campaign and he has also said that £350 million probably won't be going to the NHS. Maybe you should check your facts before accusing others of having no brain cells.
Fair point, the discussion was about how you/we feel personally, not about the average voter. I've definitely seen the NHS business in a pamphlet of some kind, but I throw them all out (for both sides) so I couldn't say who it was from.

Probably the Leave campaign, they might have implied that some of the money we spent on EU membership fees could be re-directed to the NHS (as like a hypothetical scenario kind of thing) but they never said it would
They don't feel conned, they're just retreating into further delusion. Just look at the comments on any article about the pound dropping or businesses moving out. They're still calling it scaremongering. Nothing they don't want to hear goes into their heads. As far as they're concerned, our economy will be at an all time high next week, the NHS will be thriving and unemployment will be at 0%.
Original post by Shumaya
You're delusional if you believe this is possible.

Germany has a £20 billion trade surplus with us, I could see it potentially, especially over something so insignificant to the major powers inside the EU.
No, I voted for local government and democratic accountability, and I'm hopeful we can get it.

OP seems premised on the idea that we remain full members of the single market, anyway, which is far from assured.
Fair enough! I'd find it amazing if many leave supporters were happy with what looks likely. Your reasons for leaving must have been niche!

Since you claim to have greater brain power than me, you'll know that Ian Duncan Smith was part of the leave campaign. And on Sunday he retracted the £350m NHS spending promise.

If what the Remain side says about immigrants contributing more to the economy than they take out is true, why should I be worried? Immigrants don't bother me as long as they don't cause trouble and are peaceful
This is the wording on a Leave advert:

"Let's give our NHS the £350m the EU takes every week"

That's fairly certain. That's not saying we might give some money to the NHS.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending