The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by drowzee
I still feel extremely sad even the day after. I was too tried to stay up and watch the result, but I woke up at 5am on Friday, went on my phone and looked at my notifications... There it was, the notification from the BBC news app that we had left the EU. My heart dropped and my anxiety was off the roof for the whole day. I'm annoyed my future has been decided by the baby boomers and that I was only two months away from my 18th birthday, so I couldn't vote.

When Gove said "people are sick of experts", it highlighted the anti-intellectualism in politics. People are willing to ignore experts and facts, but follow their resentment and racist attitudes towards immigrants. As a non-white daughter of immigrants, I can definitely say I have experienced more racism lately. Not only was I subjected to racial abuse not long ago, the two Sikh temples in my area where attacked on the day of the EU vote. I don't even feel welcome here anymore.

Hey, as a young person, I want to say something to you. The world is and will always remain your oyster. A place or piece of land is just that. If the place you live in becomes un-livable and has less opportunities, you can always move out. Getting a visa is the only thing you will need to add to the list of things needed to go someplace else. It's not necessarily the end of the world for you. A closed door also means other open doors can be explored. Whatever you do or don't do, don't give up on your dreams.
Original post by lucabrasi98
There's now a clear selling point for them to leave. Their worries last time was financial instability. Now that the England was dumb enough to drag them out of the EU along with us, they have no reason whatsoever to stay as our country goes downhill. I'm 99.99% sure that if another Scottish referendum is held, it'll be a landslide victory for leaving.

To the 62% of Scotland that voted stay, yesterday is the final nail in the coffin. It's visible proof that they don't really have a voice in the UK. That was one of the complaints for the Scottish that voted leave in their independence referendum.Every time they try and voice their opinion, they get drowned out by England due to England having a higher population.

Scotland are as good as gone. Gibraltar too. They relied on Spain for most of their medical needs since Spain is so close. Spain is even reported to be asking for joint control to try and stop the mess we've gotten Gibraltar into. My guess is N.Ireland will be after those 2. Yesterday was the first step in disbanding the UK. I can't wait to see the look on the peoples faces when Boris, Farage or (dare I say it) Michael Gove takes charge in October. It's a shame how we've literally voted ourselves into future recession but the first thing idiots on here can think of is "we're free!!!".

How I wish I was in another country reading this. It would actually be funny what we have allowed ourselves to do. So England wants to 'leave', so they leave all other countries, not just the EU. Why the hell are Wales asking for independence now on the news? They voted leave, right? Confusing.
Original post by JordanL_
http://imgur.com/a/sicaP

Seems the Brexit vote has emboldened the scum to come out from their caves. I feel like we're living in 1930s Germany.

Shameful. If Scotland, N. Ireland and Wales all want independence, we should think of renaming what's left (England + Gibraltar?).

I suggest the new country is named Brexit. #cantbebotheredanymore
Original post by normalperson7
Yes. This is how I feel too. Why choose to ignore experts is something I am at a loss to understand too. Its like if I have cancer, I treat it at home instead of going to experts. Why?

To even compare medicine and economics is laughable at best. :laugh:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yes. This is how I feel too. Why choose to ignore experts is something I am at a loss to understand too. Its like if I have cancer, I treat it at home instead of going to experts. Why?

It's almost like people who have nothing place other things ahead of money.
Original post by The_Internet
The govt wanted it both ways. They wanted to both find a buyer for steel and also vetoed an EU proposal to whack up the tariffs on Chinese steel. If any thing our own govt ruined steel industries all over the EU, in favour of a special relationship with China

There's much more to the situation than that.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm writing this reply from my underground bunker waiting for the apocalypse and WW3 with 5,000 tins of beans because the UK has voted to leave the EU. Get over yourself. We don't know what's going to happen, but I can tell you for nothing that the UK won't crumble to pieces. The chances are we'll end up still being a member of the single market and not much will change, other than the obvious that we won't be in the EU. Oh, and btw OP, Norway isn't even in the EU. The irony...
Original post by TheTechN1304
I'm writing this reply from my underground bunker waiting for the apocalypse and WW3 with 5,000 tins of beans because the UK has voted to leave the EU. Get over yourself. We don't know what's going to happen, but I can tell you for nothing that the UK won't crumble to pieces. The chances are we'll end up still being a member of the single market and not much will change, other than the obvious that we won't be in the EU. Oh, and btw OP, Norway isn't even in the EU. The irony...

Well, Norway might not be in the EU, but it is in the EEA, and it's the model you'll probably adopt once negotiations are done, provided the EU stays this accommodating, which I wouldn't be sure of.
If you do end up following the the Norwegian model (or Swiss) to have access to the single market, you'll still have to accept free movement and EU law, but you'll also lose your decision-making power in how the EU laws are drafted and you'll have to pay about as much as you pay now. Don't know about you, but it doesn't seem to me like a triumph for British independence.
Not saying that the UK is going to crumble to pieces (though I still think that's probable, what with Scottish independence and Irish reunification), but it seems to me as if you f****d yourselves over royally. Cheers! :smile:
Original post by XcitingStuart
To even compare medicine and economics is laughable at best. :laugh:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Really? That's all you got from the example? That it is from different fields of study?
Original post by AperfectBalance
Yes because the Leave party are going for the lets kick everyone out who is not British, yeah no they are not, We want something more like Australia Letting skilled and professional workers and students in so we will still continue to be very multicultural.

That's not what she's upset about. Your response here is really typical of how simple the Brexiters, there are long term ramifications Bremainers mourn for which go far beyond the simple 'let's take control of our country back from immigrants' bs.
Original post by joecphillips
It's almost like people who have nothing place other things ahead of money.

Oh yeah, I forgot, we now have a divorce day to celebrate which will be a bank holiday. How could I forget that we have chosen to call it independence day even though there is no one actually ruling us to get independent from?

I completely forgot that one 'extra bank holiday' solves all the economic and relationship problems we have got ourselves into, apart from the possibility of breaking ourselves up.
Original post by EleonoraDi
Well, Norway might not be in the EU, but it is in the EEA, and it's the model you'll probably adopt once negotiations are done, provided the EU stays this accommodating, which I wouldn't be sure of.
If you do end up following the the Norwegian model (or Swiss) to have access to the single market, you'll still have to accept free movement and EU law, but you'll also lose your decision-making power in how the EU laws are drafted and you'll have to pay about as much as you pay now. Don't know about you, but it doesn't seem to me like a triumph for British independence.
Not saying that the UK is going to crumble to pieces (though I still think that's probable, what with Scottish independence and Irish reunification), but it seems to me as if you f****d yourselves over royally. Cheers! :smile:

I completely agree with what you're saying. That's why I voted remain. I don't like the EU as an institution as I think it's too powerful and not accountable enough, however, leaving the EU and simply being a member of the single market will mean everything stays the same except we now get no say on the laws which rule us. It's moving backwards. My point was just that people are acting as if we are all doomed, when in reality things are unlikely to change much.
I'm a mature student. I voted for remain because I did not like the uncertainty that Brexit would cause but it is not necessarily the case that the new model will fail either economically or culturally as the author of this post fears.
The reality is that there is a lot that is wrong with Europe. British politicians had been pressing for reform of its power structure ever since joining. 41 years later, very little has changed and the power wielded by a few commissioners is totally out of proportion to their democratic accountability. In terms of being one of the world's great trading blocks, Europe has rapidly diminished in recent years. It's star is set to fall much further. The formation of the Eurozone is one of the great political and economic disasters. Countries locked into, except the efficient ones like Germany, will suffer its consequences for many years to come.
What happens to this country in the future depends upon leadership and the attitude of citizens generally. The referendum is done and whatever your feelings about the result, you should move on and accept it, particularly if you value Democracy.
Really? That's all you got from the example? That it is from different fields of study?

Medicine, involving chemistry and biology are [regarded as] sciences.
Economics is not a science.

Medicine has a rigorous methodology to which to adhere and there's scrutiny within the entire community.
Medicine is produced in a controlled environment.

You don't give scrutiny, which is anti-intellectual in and of itself because you don't follow this rigorous procedure.
And for economics, society isn't a controlled environment.

There are far too many uncertainties to pass off any facts before the negotiations.
Negotiations play a large part in the economic happenings after a Brexit-winning referendum.

It's laughable that you can even pass these forecasts/predictions as facts.
And it's even more laughable when here are the facts:
- They have got it wrong [terribly so] before.

You also have to consider:
- possible [hidden] agendas
- biases/prejudice [in favour of the EU, for example]
Reply 255
Markets are all in the green today (about 2%).
Open your eyes to reality. I morn the poor idiots that voted to stay. Mindless zombies who want to be controlled. Long live democracy !!.
At first I was very sad because since I moved to this country I experienced racism which I never had in France and I was very scared that the racism will be worst (I'm born in France but Tamil).But know I am super happy because FRANCE has overtaken the UK as the world’s fifth largest economy, which means that if the economy of this country goes down my family and I can go back to France. In my familly we all have the French/British and Canadian visa so nobody in my family is worried;furthermore; I am very happy to know that the value of the pound has gone down and that the science and engineering economy is doomed which means that in a few years other countries won't acknowledge British degrees.In France education is free (even university) but in the UK, you have to pay a lot of money so I feel bad the students studying in this country because you are wasting your money and your time studying for worthless degrees. I have to thank all the people who voted out, you have saved my life may god bless you.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by XcitingStuart
Ironically I didn't vote on the grounds of any immigration argument.

What is your argument to leave?

I honestly fail to see many good arguments. I always appreciate insight.
Cheers.
Reply 259
Original post by Jesuistamoul
At first I was very sad because since I moved to this country I experienced racism which I never had in France and I was very scared that the racism will be worst (I'm born in France but Tamil).But know I am super happy because FRANCE has overtaken the UK as the world’s fifth largest economy, which means that if the economy of this country goes down my family and I can go back to France. In my familly we all have the French/British and Canadian visa so nobody in my family is worried;furthermore; I am very happy to know that the value of the pound has gone down and that the science and engineering economy is doomed which means that in a few years other countries won't acknowledge British degrees.In France education is free (even university) but in the UK, you have to pay a lot of money so I feel bad the students studying in this country because you are wasting your money and your time studying for worthless degrees. I have to thank all the people who voted out, you have saved my life may god bless you.

Yeah, Oxbridge degrees will be worth nothing, French universities and economy will dominate the world, and there is no racism in France. :rolleyes:

Latest

Trending

Trending