The Student Room Group

STEP Prep Thread 2016 (Mark. II)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Mathemagicien
Ouch... C1,2,3,S1,D1,2 sounds like the worst combination you could do at AS (and still get 2 AS or 1 A2 qualification at the end, of course)

I had FP1, so at least that was something (and I taught myself M1).
Does anyone know if there are any stats about the number of people who get accepted if they make the STEP offer but not the A Level offer?

Some people seem to say that it is very rare so they do not know - can it really be that rare? I would've thought it happens a fair few times a year.
Original post by tridianprime
Does anyone know if there are any stats about the number of people who get accepted if they make the STEP offer but not the A Level offer?

Some people seem to say that it is very rare so they do not know - can it really be that rare? I would've thought it happens a fair few times a year.

I think you are very likely to be accepted in that situation (presuming you failed the A-level part by not getting the A*'s, rather than getting 3 C's or something), unless you failed to get an A in Physics and your offer is for Maths with Physics.
Original post by sweeneyrod
I think you are very likely to be accepted in that situation (presuming you failed the A-level part by not getting the A*'s, rather than getting 3 C's or something), unless you failed to get an A in Physics and your offer is for Maths with Physics.

Thankfully, it should just be the A* I miss.

To be honest though, if someone did well in STEP and then got CCC, wouldn't you want to take them just out of pure fascination? I know I would find it hard to reject them.

To be honest though, if someone did well in STEP and then got CCC, wouldn't you want to take them just out of pure fascination? I know I would find it hard to reject them.

True, they'd certainly ring you up and see what happened. But I don't think you'd get a place if it turned out you'd just been too lazy to go the exams or something.
I is too

And I think physicsmaths is three

I did as well, revised two days before

Posted from TSR Mobile
Surprised so many of us took D2

There are some statistics someone got of a FoI request, that shows some Cambridge offer holders with 1,1, and even S,S, do not end up going to Cambridge. Maybe they end up going to some other Uni, or maybe they are gap year applicants, but its worth bearing in mind

Faurly sure the SS are other unis like the US where laot is paid for.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Surprised so many of us took D2

There are some statistics someone got of a FoI request, that shows some Cambridge offer holders with 1,1, and even S,S, do not end up going to Cambridge. Maybe they end up going to some other Uni, or maybe they are gap year applicants, but its worth bearing in mind

I did see those - I assumed they were just gap year or international students or something but it is useful to bear in mind, thanks.

There weren't many of them is why I would think that they were internationals or gap year etc. I've asked trinity admissions if there are any such stats regarding this but I doubt I will get anything useful.
(edited 7 years ago)
That's what I guess (or hope) :tongue:

But we cannot know for sure...

and there are some internationals who cant pay........:redface:
Hopefully I have achieved a 1,1 in STEP but I'm having doubts, if I do it's close.

What's the chance of me getting in with:

A*A*A*AA at A Level (Maths, Fmaths,Further AddMaths, Chemistry, Physics)

2,1 in STEP (II/III)

A at AS biology

Total maths ums average at roughly 96%

Fmaths and Further Addmaths completely self-taught within a year.

I kinda go to a crappy state school too (1st oxbridge applicant).

How likely is getting into my firm college (Emmanual) and then getting pooled into Girton or something?
Hopefully I do get a 1,1 and no reason to stress :biggrin:

Original post by mubmoh
Hopefully I have achieved a 1,1 in STEP but I'm having doubts, if I do it's close.

What's the chance of me getting in with:

A*A*A*AA at A Level (Maths, Fmaths,Further AddMaths, Chemistry, Physics)

2,1 in STEP (II/III)

A at AS biology

Total maths ums average at roughly 96%

Fmaths and Further Addmaths completely self-taught within a year.

I kinda go to a crappy state school too (1st oxbridge applicant).

How likely is getting into my firm college (Emmanual) and then getting pooled into Girton or something?
Hopefully I do get a 1,1 and no reason to stress :biggrin:

Probably relatively high (certainly a very high chance of getting into the summer pool). It probably depends on the details of STEP: 2 marks off a 1 and 2 marks off an S will almost certainly get you in, 2 marks into a 2, 2 marks into a 1 probably not. Statistically, you have ~80% chance of getting in with 2, 1 IIRC.
Reply 2591

Very, very, very, very, very likely that you'll get in if all you miss is an A*.
Original post by Zacken
Very, very, very, very, very likely that you'll get in if all you miss is an A*.

I will be honest, there is a slight chance not getting into trinity even wheb only missing the A*. anyone else will take you regardless though!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by physicsmaths
I will be honest, there is a slight chance not getting into trinity even wheb only missing the A*. anyone else will take you regardless though!

Posted from TSR Mobile

**** I am now worried, will Trinity accept three high 1s ? I know they give offer like SS.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by cogito.
**** I am now worried, will Trinity accept three high 1s ? I know they give offer like SS.

Posted from TSR Mobile

If you get it early yh. They wnt get u to resit it says on the website.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by physicsmaths
If you get it early yh. They wnt get u to resit it says on the website.

Posted from TSR Mobile

They still say typical offer 1,1 but who knows...

Posted from TSR Mobile
What time of the day will the the results be available on the 18th of August?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Glavien
What time of the day will the the results be available on the 18th of August?

Posted from TSR Mobile

they tend to come available at the stroke of midnight
unless there has been a change this year..
Original post by 1 8 13 20 42

Ok thank you. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by 1 8 13 20 42

At the stroke of the midnight hour, when the world sleeps, mathmos will awake to life and freedom.

Quick Reply

Latest