The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Insight314
M3?

My exams are not done yet, last exam is Physics which is tomorrow. :smile: I am planning on doing part IA after that exam though.

I might do AFM AS or A2 next year to see how I do pacing myself. It won't be for uni. Just for fun.

Good luck :smile:

Part IA?
Original post by Kvothe the arcane
I might do AFM AS or A2 next year to see how I do pacing myself. It won't be for uni. Just for fun.

Good luck :smile:

Part IA?

Oh, you are taking a gap year? Sorry, I am very confused..

Part IA is first year Maths Tripos.
Oh, you are taking a gap year? Sorry, I am very confused..

Part IA is first year Maths Tripos.

IA is the first year of all triposes but I don't quite understand what you mean " I am planning on doing part IA after that exam though.". Aren't you in this thread because you already applied???

I have a deferred offer. So whether I meet it or not I start uni in 2017. If I fail it then I'll probably reapply to Imperial and some other unis I like that require A*AA-AAB.
Wait. Why are you guys learning A-levels wtf, I am confused. :confused:

I want to do all the natsci papers I can on PBS so I need a way better understanding of chemistry than I do right now... as for stats I just want a head start to make PBS2 go as smoothly as possible, I've heard people tend to underestimate the maths in it
IA is the first year of all triposes but I don't quite understand what you mean " I am planning on doing part IA after that exam though.". Aren't you in this thread because you already applied???

I have a deferred offer. So whether I meet it or not I start uni in 2017. If I fail it then I'll probably reapply to Imperial and some other unis I like that require A*AA-AAB.

I am planning on self-studying some of part IA during the summer after the Physics exam tomorrow.

Original post by Mostly_Crazy
I want to do all the natsci papers I can on PBS so I need a way better understanding of chemistry than I do right now... as for stats I just want a head start to make PBS2 go as smoothly as possible, I've heard people tend to underestimate the maths in it

All right. Don't you think it would be better to just learn from university textbooks, and scrap the A-levels since now you no longer need to pass the exams? It will be way easier to do university maths/chemistry if you do university maths/chemistry.
All right. Don't you think it would be better to just learn from university textbooks, and scrap the A-levels since now you no longer need to pass the exams? It will be way easier to do university maths/chemistry if you do university maths/chemistry.

I thought about that but it's kind of hard to know where to start, the reading lists can be a bit overwhelming... plus I already have the chem A level books from a friend who doesn't need them any more
Reply 926
Original post by Mathemagicien

(It put Cambridge ahead by a lot, of course)

It's still here:

http://www.maths.manchester.ac.uk/~bl/maths_league/2009/

It's a bit out of date now, and of course doesn't include the 2014 REF
FP2 out the way, could have gone worse though I screwed up the hyperbolic functions question at the end... kind of doesn't feel possible that I'm done :biggrin:

Wondering whether to start learning AS Chem or S3 and S4 first... anyone got tips for either of them?

Erm I don't see the point of even remotely learning S3/4. Having done them I can say they are identical modules to S2 just with new tests and of no use at all tbh your much much better off looking at uni maths or something. What course are you btw?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by physicsmaths
Erm I don't see the point of even remotely learning S3/4. Having done them I can say they are identical modules to S2 just with new tests and of no use at all tbh your much much better off looking at uni maths or something. What course are you btw?

Posted from TSR Mobile

PBS

And point taken, maybe I'll take another look at the (PBS) stats content and see what's actually worth learning and what's not.
PBS

And point taken, maybe I'll take another look at the (PBS) stats content and see what's actually worth learning and what's not.

Ah ok, it might be relevant then as I am not sure what stats you will do innPBS. You could send the spec and i could tell you whats covered and whats not.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm planning to go completely unacademic over the summer. Anyone else?
Cba with adding (unnecessary) work

If by some small chance I do meet my offer I'll have to have a look at that wonderful Maths work I was sent though
Original post by RichE
It's still here:

http://www.maths.manchester.ac.uk/~bl/maths_league/2009/

It's a bit out of date now, and of course doesn't include the 2014 REF

Ah yes, there it is. Oxford actually looks to be doing quite well vs. Cambridge

Original post by Serine Soul

If by some small chance I do meet my offer I'll have to have a look at that wonderful Maths work I was sent though

Won't you get bored?

Lol yes, my summer is for partying and trying to not think about results day.
If I do get in I'll probably go over A level content again just to be sure that I am prepared, but not sure how much extra prep can be done for NatSci other than reading stuff on the reading list :P

Agreed. All my mathmo friends are going to be busy learning part IA and making me feel guilty for doing absolutely nothing. :lol:
I am planning on self-studying some of part IA during the summer after the Physics exam tomorrow.

Ah that's cool. If I meet my offer then I'll have a look next year. It's a bit early this year.
Original post by Zacken
Agreed. All my mathmo friends are going to be busy learning part IA and making me feel guilty for doing absolutely nothing. :lol:

Haven't you already been learning uni stuff

I'm the opposite. I started off the year stressed and tired and as I got more used to studying I began to enjoy it more. I'm now at the point where I'd feel boring not working on something. So making a start on AFM (unless that bores me), grade 8 music theory stuff and resuming learning to code.
Haven't you already been learning uni stuff

I've dabbled a bit before, nothing like what most mathmos are currently planning to do during the summer.
Original post by Zacken
I've dabbled a bit before, nothing like what most mathmos are currently planning to do during the summer.

Ah, I see. Well you deserve a break!

Any exciting summer plans? How do you feel about your offer?
Any exciting summer plans?

Nope.

How do you feel about your offer?

Not great.
Sorry to invade :biggrin:

The Oxford thread is dead, as always.

Anyone else endlessly analysing exams and seriously worried about missing their offer? This is killing me.
Original post by Mathemagicien

Won't you get bored?

Well, I'm going to try and go back to what used to be my hobbies... Maybe even make a small business out of them :teehee:
Original post by PhysicsIP2016
Lol yes, my summer is for partying and trying to not think about results day.
If I do get in I'll probably go over A level content again just to be sure that I am prepared, but not sure how much extra prep can be done for NatSci other than reading stuff on the reading list :P

Lol I'm such an un-party person. But I agree with not trying to think about results day. I'm really hoping to take all this time to get my health and fitness in check, maybe develop a routine :colondollar:

Yeah I'd just read over my notes too, just to refresh my memory, if I get in.
Original post by Zacken

I think we all need a break after almost 14(?) years of education :yep:

I'm the opposite. I started off the year stressed and tired and as I got more used to studying I began to enjoy it more. I'm now at the point where I'd feel boring not working on something. So making a start on AFM (unless that bores me), grade 8 music theory stuff and resuming learning to code.

That actually sounds interesting though!

Latest