The Student Room Group

Keep EU university students status as home fees.

Anyone agree? As they already allowed and planned for it, as it would affect their life in long-term if its places such as Cambridge, which is a TOP university worldwide.

Scroll to see replies

I support this, especially if the EU students have been living here for a long time.
Reply 2
Original post by Legendary Quest
I support this, especially if the EU students have been living here for a long time.

What if they plan to go to Cambridge and stay in UK and work? but not here currently.
Reply 3
I'm highly uncertain about my future (eu student) .
Cambridge and warwick offerholder for maths-physics-whatever .
Brexit was a total disaster to me .
If I can't take a student loan and/or cambridge bursary and fees get higher I won't have the chance to go and study there.
If only I knew about brexit earlier so that I didn't apply to british universities at all.
I had pursuaded 3 students to apply to british unis and none of them will apply after this decision .
In my country there was a trend to go and study in Britain ... it'll stop.
After Brexit :
1) Quality of British science diminishes , so (top) british unis might fall in rankings .
2) Fees for future EU students will increase so british unis will become less international and thus less appealing with less funding as well.
3) USA is influenced and Trump has greater chances of being elected now , EU national (far right)parties want to carry out referendums which might mark the end of EU making all of Europe more nationalist ... I'm thus trapped in greece :frown: .
It's a human right to live wherever you want , study and work there with equal chances and treatment ... the world is going to forget once again .
Britain might be better for British now but it's certainly less appealing to the world . My plan was to live there , now I reconsider it .

These are just some of my thoughts. I do not complain about anything , I'm just very sad . Perhaps not all of my thoughts are right I'm not absolute about them (I hope they are not I want to live in an international Britain not a national one) .
Original post by ckfeister
Anyone agree? As they already allowed and planned for it, as it would affect their life in long-term if its places such as Cambridge, which is a TOP university worldwide.

I don't see why it's more important for EU students at Cambridge to get home fees than any other UK uni.
Reply 5
Original post by Vesniep
If I can't take a student loan and/or cambridge bursary and fees get higher I won't have the chance to go and study there.
If only I knew about brexit earlier so that I didn't apply to british universities at all.
I had pursuaded 3 students to apply to british unis and none of them will apply after this decision .
After Brexit :
1) Quality of British science diminishes , so (top) british unis might fall in rankings .
2) Fees for future EU students will increase so british unis will become less international and thus less appealing with less funding as well.
3) USA is influenced and Trump has greater chances of being elected now , EU national (far right)parties want to carry out referendums which might mark the end of EU making all of Europe more nationalist ... I'm thus trapped in greece :frown: .
It's a human right to live wherever you want , study and work there with equal chances and treatment ... the world is going to forget once again .
Britain might be better for British now but it's certainly less appealing to the world . My plan was to live there , now I reconsider it .

These are just some of my thoughts. I do not complain about anything , I'm just very sad . Perhaps not all of my thoughts are right I'm not absolute about them (I hope they are not I want to live in an international Britain not a national one) .

Its official now, the fees are home status.

Original post by SmallTownGirl
I don't see why it's more important for EU students at Cambridge to get home fees than any other UK uni.

I meant for all...
I meant for all...

Then why even mention any specific unis?
Reply 7
Original post by SmallTownGirl
Then why even mention any specific unis?

As thats the one someone I know who going there this October.
In light of Brexit, then every aspect goes into the melting pot and students is just another area to negotiate.

It covers two apsects, which brexiters want less of:

1. Cost £ as in whether it is beneficial to the UK.
2. Immigration.

Switzerland has dealt with this through bilateral agreements with EU members it has a mitually beneficial arrangement with, but such a system also allows it to avoid countries with whom it is not bothered about having such an agreement with. I cant see them having a problem with Western European countries (where the flow of students is both ways), but there may be one more with Eastern European ones.
Reply 9
Its official now, the fees are home status.

Just for the first year , right ?
Can I be sure that I'll pay home fee with my student loan for then next three years of my studies (I was planning for a fourth year for master's ...lol )? Otherwise I'll have to quit uni in the middle of my tripos , I want to be sure .

I'm really anxious about that scenario : they'll cancel my 3000 pounds cambridge bursary ( which is the amount of money I'll use to live there ) , my student loan and they'll increase my fees to more than 16000 pounds (international fees) + 6000 pounds to college fees .... ( I really don't know what's the most appropriate emoticon ) .... after 6 months of preparation for STEP ( I used all my time self-studying for british exams (A-levels + all STEPs which is the admission test) ) and I'm pretty sure I met my offer. European countries don't give a **** about these exams and American unversities are more expensive and complicated ... hard work doesn't always pay off .
Reply 10
Original post by Vesniep
Can I be sure that I'll pay home fee with my student loan for then next three years of my studies (I was planning for a fourth year for master's ...lol )? Otherwise I'll have to quit uni in the middle of my tripos , I want to be sure .

I'm really anxious about that scenario : they'll cancel my 3000 pounds cambridge bursary ( which is the amount of money I'll use to live there ) , my student loan and they'll increase my fees to more than 16000 pounds (international fees) + 6000 pounds to college fees .... ( I really don't know what's the most appropriate emoticon ) .... after 6 months of preparation for STEP ( I used all my time self-studying for british exams (A-levels + all STEPs which is the admission test) ) and I'm pretty sure I met my offer. European countries don't give a **** about these exams and American unversities are more expensive and complicated ... hard work doesn't always pay off .

Its granteed for ALL of the years.
Reply 11
Original post by Vesniep

No, it's for the length of your course if you start in September/October 2016.

If you stay at Cambridge and carry on into Part III as MMath or MSci or MEng then your fees are fine. But if you do a standalone MSc elsewhere you may have a different status by that time .

The status of students that commence in 2017 onwards has yet to be decided.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by jneill
No, it's for the length of your course if you start in September/October 2016.

If you stay at Cambridge and carry on into Part III as MMath or MSci or MEng then your fees are fine. But if you do a standalone MSc elsewhere you may have a different status by that time .

The status of students that commence in 2017 onwards has yet to be decided.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you for your response it calmed me down a little bit .
Can I be sure about that or is this decision subject to changes in the future ?
Original post by Vesniep
After Brexit :

Considering the fact that you live in Greece I would encourage you to see if you could train as a British teacher. That way you would get your tuition paid and it would be extremely easy for you to get a Visa.
Reply 14
Original post by Vesniep

European countries may not give a **** about those exams, but you are doing UK universities an injustice by acting like receiving an offer from Cambridge will mean nothing to other universities as a measuring post.
Reply 15
Original post by Vesniep
Thank you for your response it calmed me down a little bit .
Can I be sure about that or is this decision subject to changes in the future ?

It's extremely unlikely any changes would be retrospectively applied to current or 2016 students.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by MJ1012
European countries may not give a **** about those exams, but you are doing UK universities an injustice by acting like receiving an offer from Cambridge will mean nothing to other universities as a measuring post.

Do you know how much my teachers in school were impressed by having an offer from Cambridge : not at all .
They claimed that it's not that difficult to get into there and what really matters is paying your tuition fees .
Many teachers also claimed that I'd rather apply to European universities ... some prefered French others prefered German .
Cambridge is mostly respected in Britain and to a lesser extent in USA , not everywhere .
If Britain is anti-immigrant then the only place left is USA which has worse fees and it has a more complicated educational system.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by illegaltobepoor
Considering the fact that you live in Greece I would encourage you to see if you could train as a British teacher. That way you would get your tuition paid and it would be extremely easy for you to get a Visa.

You mean after graduating ? I've applied to Maths with Physics and I really don't know which one I'll follow but I want to work in research or in academia . It would be nice to work as a teacher for one year or a couple but I really can't see myself as a teacher for my entire life .
My father is an American citizent so if he lives there for three years (he's planning to do so after Brexit) I'll be American citizent as well and hopefully I'll find a job in research there .
I think international students should all have to pay the same amounts, and this also means that eu students don't have access to our taxpayer funded loans. It's only fair to treat the chinaman the same as the polish or Romanian etc. This is levelling the playing field and meaning everyone pays the same amount for a British education
Reply 19
Original post by Vesniep

You're smart enough to go to Cambridge, but not smart enough to understand that the UK will not leave the EU before at least two years, and that students cannot change their fee status when they are enrolled in a degree?

Original post by Vesniep

It's a human right to live wherever you want , study and work there with equal chances and treatment ...

No, it is not.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply