The Student Room Group

what qualifies as extenuating circumstances at A level?

I never applied for extenuating circumstances because I believed it had to be death of immediate family, however someone told me that didn't matter.

Two months ago, a really close friend of mine committed suicide, and to be honest it effected me mainly because I felt so much guilt. I felt so awful and horrible that I had no idea she felt this way, and it still eats at me now everyday.

The majority of the last few months for me was spent grieving. I was predicted A*AA, but I think I'll get ABB, meaning I will miss all of my university offers.

In terms of extenuating circumstances for my exams, I have no idea what to do about it or how I do anything.

any help is really appreciated, many thanks
Reply 1
Original post by issy421
I never applied for extenuating circumstances because I believed it had to be death of immediate family, however someone told me that didn't matter.

Two months ago, a really close friend of mine committed suicide, and to be honest it effected me mainly because I felt so much guilt. I felt so awful and horrible that I had no idea she felt this way, and it still eats at me now everyday.

The majority of the last few months for me was spent grieving. I was predicted A*AA, but I think I'll get ABB, meaning I will miss all of my university offers.

In terms of extenuating circumstances for my exams, I have no idea what to do about it or how I do anything.

you need to tell your exams officer ASAP. this is the ONLY way of unis knowing about your circumstances. The longer you wait the less likely it is anything will be done about it. Ringing up unis and telling them won't get you anywhere either - it has to come direct from your school.
Reply 2
Original post by fefssdf
you need to tell your exams officer ASAP. this is the ONLY way of unis knowing about your circumstances. The longer you wait the less likely it is anything will be done about it. Ringing up unis and telling them won't get you anywhere either - it has to come direct from your school.

Okay thank you, do you know what is most likely to happen?

I hear they add a few percent onto your grade.
But i'd rather they didnt, and just let the universities know my circumstances, as this event has effected me a lot more than plus or minus a few percent
Reply 3
Original post by issy421

But i'd rather they didnt, and just let the universities know my circumstances, as this event has effected me a lot more than plus or minus a few percent

I cannot speculate on that, but bear in mind that just cause you've had such circumstances doesn't mean your guaranteed extra marks...and at the end of the day a few marks is unlikely to bump up your grade; I suggest the best option would be to take a gap year and on your references make sure your circumstances are clear and then I'm pretty sure the unis would be understanding enough to give you another offer.
Original post by issy421

You must contact your exam officer immediately. There is a very short deadline. Put in an application for special circumstances as you have nothing to lose. It helps if you have evidence such as a DRs note.

If accepted it can be worth 2-5%.

There is a heading under of
recent traumatic experience such as death of a close friend or distant relative;

This is worth 3% and that could be the difference between a grade.
You can also get your school to talk to the Uni about it.
Original post by issy421

You should accept both as it could make a grade difference.

If you dont wnat the extra %, then there would be no need to applu for SC and just get the support of your school to talk to the Uni, although they might query why you hadnt applied for SC. In short I dont think you are in a superior position by not applying for it.
Original post by issy421

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4107245
Reply 7

How is the percentage applied? For example if I was given 3% extra, and originally had 70%, would I get 73% or 72.1% ( 3% of 70 added on. ) ?
Reply 8
Original post by 999tigger
You should accept both as it could make a grade difference.

If you dont wnat the extra %, then there would be no need to applu for SC and just get the support of your school to talk to the Uni, although they might query why you hadnt applied for SC. In short I dont think you are in a superior position by not applying for it.

How is the percentage applied? For example if I was given 3% extra, and originally had 70%, would I get 73% or 72.1% ( 3% of 70 added on. ) ?
Original post by issy421

No idea. The applying of any allowance is kept pretty secret by the boards. Schools only get to know if there has been any allowance applied by an asterisk on the results spread sheet next to the result. Our resident exams officer genies may know more.
@Compost @Muttley79 @gdunne42
Original post by issy421

My understanding is they mark the paper as normal and then it is referred to the special circumstances people who add a straight % of the raw marks avialable. i.e 3% is a full 3/100 overall (uf the marks available were 100), so in your example you would get 73%.

Just contact your exam officer immediately, put it in and forget about it (they might need evidence). Its up to the special circs people to decide. If you wnat to be considered, then now is not the time to be shy and it could make the difference between B and A.

3.1 Special consideration will normally be given by applying an allowanc e of marks to each component affected within a specification . The size of the allowance depends on the timing, nature and extent of the illness or misfortune. The maximum allowance given will be 5% of the total raw marks available in the component concerned, including controlled assessment/ coursework.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by issy421

You get a certain percentage of the total raw marks.
A letter to unis can be more effective in my experience. They then have more detail as to how this has affected you and impacted on your studies. In my school the Head of Sixth Form writes to the firm and insurance.

Quick Reply

Latest