The Student Room Group

Clearing times ?

I'm really worried because my school isn't letting people get their results before half 9 and so if i need to go through clearing then surely all the places will be gone by the time I get on the phone :frown: what should I do ?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by fefssdf
I'm really worried because my school isn't letting people get their results before half 9 and so if i need to go through clearing then surely all the places will be gone by the time I get on the phone :frown: what should I do ?

Clearing choices can't be added until around 5 on results day, so you shouldnt worry about all the places being gone, they wont be in the space of an hour/90 minutes.
Reply 2
Original post by claireestelle
Clearing choices can't be added until around 5 on results day, so you shouldnt worry about all the places being gone, they wont be in the space of an hour/90 minutes.

oh really ok so you think if i ring up at 10 then it should be alright
I think I might turn up at my school earlier than 9:30 cause surely they're not going to just tell me to wait if the envelope is on the table
Original post by fefssdf
oh really ok so you think if i ring up at 10 then it should be alright
I think I might turn up at my school earlier than 9:30 cause surely they're not going to just tell me to wait if the envelope is on the table

Yes 10 should be fine:smile: If you do some research in the days before so that you then have a list of numbers for if you do end up in clearing that list help. There will be some universities advertising clearing places before results day (although the lists wont be exactly what will be available on the actual day, it should give you a starting point).
Reply 4
Yes 10 should be fine:smile: If you do some research in the days before so that you then have a list of numbers for if you do end up in clearing that list help. There will be some universities advertising clearing places before results day (although the lists wont be exactly what will be available on the actual day, it should give you a starting point).

this is a bit unrelated but if there any way i could get my firm choice to switch with my insurance, as I am thinking of using adjustment to get into my insurance...
Original post by fefssdf
this is a bit unrelated but if there any way i could get my firm choice to switch with my insurance, as I am thinking of using adjustment to get into my insurance...

You can only use Adjustment if you exceed your firm offer, so you might not be entitled to it come results day
Reply 6
Original post by super_kawaii
You can only use Adjustment if you exceed your firm offer, so you might not be entitled to it come results day

yeh thats why I'm hoping i have exceeded it - i think i might but its 50/50
Original post by fefssdf
yeh thats why I'm hoping i have exceeded it - i think i might but its 50/50

How come you put your favourite uni as your insurance? If you don't mind me asking?
Reply 8
How come you put your favourite uni as your insurance? If you don't mind me asking?

well basically my insurance wants A*AB but my firm wanted AAA and at the time I thought it was more likely that i would get A*AB so put it as my insurance but now the exams are over I am certain I'm getting my firm choice instead - at first i really liked my insurance then i started liking my firm but now I've realised my insurance uni just seems to tick all the boxes and is cheaper as well which is a major factor for me ...
I should've waited longer before doing my choices but i just rushed it and now regret it ;(
my firm uni is still really good and i know ill probably end up loving it but my insurance just seemed to have that extra something for me
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by fefssdf
well basically my insurance wants A*AB but my firm wanted AAA and at the time I thought it was more likely that i would get A*AB so put it as my insurance but now the exams are over I am certain I'm getting my firm choice instead - at first i really liked my insurance then i started liking my firm but now I've realised my insurance uni just seems to tick all the boxes and is cheaper as well which is a major factor for me ...
I should've waited longer before doing my choices but i just rushed it and now regret it ;(
my firm uni is still really good and i know ill probably end up loving it but my insurance just seemed to have that extra something for me

You can always ask your firm to release you before results day, then your insurance choice will become your only choice. Might be slightly less stressful doing it that way
Reply 10
You can always ask your firm to release you before results day, then your insurance choice will become your only choice. Might be slightly less stressful doing it that way

but then idk whether my insurance will let me in with AAA when the offer is A*AB ... they're equivalent but I worry i could end up missing both my offers then arghhh
Im going to email my insurance and ask whether AAA will be enough
Original post by fefssdf
but then idk whether my insurance will let me in with AAA when the offer is A*AB ... they're equivalent but I worry i could end up missing both my offers then arghhh
Im going to email my insurance and ask whether AAA will be enough

It depends on the course and the uni-when I did all this, both my firm and insurance offers were ABB. I ended up getting AAC and was rejected by my insurance but accepted by my firm.

It might be worth emailing the uni you want to go to, because technically they're equivalent, AAA isn't your offer. They might be more lenient towards people who have equivalent over someone who got AAB though
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 12
It depends on the course and the uni-when I did all this, both my firm and insurance offers were ABB. I ended up getting AAC and was rejected by my insurance but accepted by my firm.

its really messy isn't it - i kinda hope i miss my firm now and my insurance somehow accepts me without the A*
There will definitely be places past half 9. Aim to get it sorted by about 3pm as that's when places start to properly fill up. Obviously popular courses will fill up first so you might be disadvantaged. However it's worth checking early on ucas because if you've done better you can go through adjustment and secure a better position that way.

There's 2 changes to clearing this year:

- clearing choices will be able to add on Track from 3pm
- the clearing lists will be live throughout the entire period...so the lists on the UCAS website on Tuesday morning will be the lists printed in the Telegraph on Thursday.
Reply 15
Original post by neal95
There will definitely be places past half 9. Aim to get it sorted by about 3pm as that's when places start to properly fill up. Obviously popular courses will fill up first so you might be disadvantaged. However it's worth checking early on ucas because if you've done better you can go through adjustment and secure a better position that way.

thats what I'm hoping for.. but if i go through clearing i want to go to a good uni like leeds for example but i worry the places will just go -__- ( this is for maths btw )
Reply 16
Original post by PQ
There's 2 changes to clearing this year:

- clearing choices will be able to add on Track from 3pm
- the clearing lists will be live throughout the entire period...so the lists on the UCAS website on Tuesday morning will be the lists printed in the Telegraph on Thursday.

what do you mean by ' live' do you mean that they will be updated ?
Reply 17
Original post by neal95

do you think id be able to get my results earlier like if i emailed my teachers ? cause i just don't want to miss getting into uni by the sake of like half an hour
Original post by fefssdf
thats what I'm hoping for.. but if i go through clearing i want to go to a good uni like leeds for example but i worry the places will just go -__- ( this is for maths btw )

Leeds is quite a large uni so I would stay hopeful :smile: like the other poster said, compile a list the night before and get the telephone numbers ready. You will be better placed to react then compared to others and this can make the difference. I am sure with the removal of caps and fees etc it's in unis interest to accept candidates so provided you meet their clearing criteria I'm sure they will be unlikely to turn you away
Reply 19
Original post by neal95
Leeds is quite a large uni so I would stay hopeful :smile: like the other poster said, compile a list the night before and get the telephone numbers ready. You will be better placed to react then compared to others and this can make the difference. I am sure with the removal of caps and fees etc it's in unis interest to accept candidates so provided you meet their clearing criteria I'm sure they will be unlikely to turn you away

thanks for the advice ! I think i might have to visit some unis so i know what to do

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending