The Student Room Group
Birkbeck, University of London
Birkbeck College
London

Birkbeck Chat and Q&A Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 380
Hi, guys, I'm planning to study Spanish and Japanese in Birkbeck this September, is there someone who's studying modern languages here? how are the course and the uni? i am moving to London from Italy and i don't want to be disappointed...
Also they have asked me to take a Spanish test before being admitted did someone took it before, how is it?
Birkbeck, University of London
Birkbeck College
London
I will be starting on the MA Victorian Studies programme this October (part-time)! Will anyone else be embarking on their postgraduate studies at Birkbeck in October too?
Original post by geogmol
the social life is pretty non existent (im young as well and im transferring to a diff uni) so if i was you i would pick somewhere else!!!!!!

Why is social life non-existent? Do Birkbeck students not mix with other colleges? And are young students in the minority?
Hi Guys, I am considering studying the Life sciences subjects allied to medicine 1 year part time course. I intend to study Biomedicine as a mature student at Kings college, Queen Marys UOL, St Georges UOL, Birkbeck UOL or Warwick. In the nearby future I want to study medicine as a graduate or transfer from first or second year providing my grades are good!

FYI I have contacted many uni's in regards to studying Biomedicine or Physiology BSC as a mature student with Basic Pass GCSE's and no qualifications other than considering the Birkbeck Life Science course, The responses I received were:

Kings college: 70% in all modules GCSE's are not used for consideration of the physiology or biomedicine degree.

Kent (Medway school of pharmacy): 65% passes in all modules (Pharmacology and Physiology BSc)

Westminister:

University Of Birmingham: We would require 3 science subjects (Biol, Chem, Math or Phys) at AS at minimum BBC, in addition to your GCSE's and foundation course 65% overall.

I am yet awaiting responses from UCL, Queen Mary's, Warwick and St Georges (But I am quite confident that these will be inline with the above).

From what I've read, most graduate top global companies employ candidates mainly from LSOE, Warwick, Cambridge, Oxford, UCL and Imperial... However the courses require a lot of dedication as all universities have different study methods, coursework to exams percentages and independence or lecture time variation times.

I hope this helps.

Any advice for the future? Is anyone going to start this course in October and what are the age ranges?
Original post by Sininen
Hey, I'm not sure whether this is the right place to ask but I'll give it a go.

Birkbeck is offering a lot of different courses, like access to HE and similar. I'm wondering what happens if they don't get enough applications for a specific course? Would it be cancelled? I'm interested in maths course which starts next autumn.

I've sent them a message a week ago but no reply...

Hi,

My friend studied the Math course last year and said it was great. Because of The requirements for enrolling onto a course Birkbeck's courses are very specific hence a lot of international students studying there. It is a very diverse university from what I've heard. Also They should email you for an interview but don't be worried they just want to check that you are interested and have an idea of what field you want to go into or what degree you want to study moving forward... However if you don't know what you wish to study it's not an issue they can help you decide that :smile:. Do you have any ideas in what career you want to pursue or degree? I think they usually interview around June at the earliest and interviews continue up until September I think (depends on when the start date is for that specific course). They may also give you a test to do in your own time and to bring with you on the day as they do conditional offers subject to completing sometimes math courses or English courses whilst your studying etc but nothing vigorously stressful.
Original post by lilslaura
I will be starting on the MA Victorian Studies programme this October (part-time)! Will anyone else be embarking on their postgraduate studies at Birkbeck in October too?

Hi Laura,

I'm considering The foundation program in Life sciences :smile: I am still trying to see who else is interested in this course and where everyone is coming from :smile: I'm from bedford (near milton keynes)
Hey all,

I'm currently at Birkbeck, coming to the end of my first year of a part time masters. I just wanted to add that although can be some additional hurdles to jump when building a social circle at Birkbeck compared to other universities in the UK, my experience is that amongst the full-time students it's less of an issue than for part-time. If you're relatively confident there should be no reason why you wouldn't make some great friends at Birkbeck and beyond - because remember, you're in the heart of Bloomsbury and in-amongst loads of other universities!

Joining a society is a great way to meet people - I joined the choir this year and have made some great friends there. I've actually joined the committee so if you do end up coming, look out for me at Freshers Fair!!

- L
Reply 387
I will be starting my Innovation Business with E-Business (Msc) this October. I cant wait :smile: Havent been to any open days whatsoever...but im sure it's gonna be great!
Reply 388
Hi Laura,

I just got accepted few days ago. I will be starting on the Msc Innovation Business with E-business programme this October(full time). I am from Hong Kong :smile:
Original post by SP1896
Hi guys, I'm considering transferring to Birkbeck for 2nd year, do you know if they accept transfer students?

Hi, I went to one of their Open evenings personally and asked a tutor. Very helpful, ultimately you could try the same. An email will only get you so much information, really. The Tutor I spoke to was very nice and knowledgeable. They do accept transfer students generally, but it depends on your background. it's not as straightforward as applying for a direct entry into year 2 generally. Again, try and secure an open evening
Reply 390
Hey!

I am thinking to enrol in Environmental Geology but not quite sure if that's going to be the right thing for me. Can anyone share with they experience about this study?
Cheers!
I am starting MSc Computer science (part-time) this October. Any advice/tips with respect to preparing oneself for the course, particularly equipment/software wise?
Reply 392
Hey ,
i'm BSc Business and Accounting student in Birkbeck Uni. I just finish my third year. send me your facebook plz. i can give u good advice .

Original post by TheLyther
I am thinking of enrolling onto a Business course at Birkbeck university starting in October. But i dont know much about it.

Is anyone at this university or know about it. What do you think of it?

I know that the courses are in the evenings and I'll be doing a 4 year part time course (but apparently i can do a full time in year 3, so technically 3 year course).
Reply 393
Hello! if anyone is here, I'm thinking of applying to Int. Law with Japanese for later on this year!
Anyone else starting this October for Undergraduate? :smile:
I'm accepted to Birkbeck for Economics. I'm 18 years old. Will I be completely out of place? Is it worth going to clearing and possibly taking a gap year over going to Birkbeck for someone my age?
Hi ccfiona apologies for the extremely delayed reply, I haven't checked my account in some time! Congratulations on your place at Birkbeck - your course sounds pretty interesting! When will you be moving over to London?
Original post by ccfiona
Hi Laura,

I just got accepted few days ago. I will be starting on the Msc Innovation Business with E-business programme this October(full time). I am from Hong Kong :smile:

Original post by ccfiona
Hi Laura,

Sorry I'm still working out how to reply to messages on my phone! I've posted a reply to you at the end of this thread 😊
Original post by sanjsk03
Hi Laura,

I'm considering The foundation program in Life sciences :smile: I am still trying to see who else is interested in this course and where everyone is coming from :smile: I'm from bedford (near milton keynes)

Hi Sanjsk, again sorry for the extremely delayed reply! How are you? Have you decided on the Life Sciences programme yet? I used to live in Bedfordshire, about 20 mins away from Bedford! What a small world
Hi. Anyone currently studying the BSc bioscience degree?. If so, how you finding it?. i want to transfer to the 2nd year as i have already done two years of another degree elsewhere. hope they consider me.
sorry i mean BSc Biomedicine :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest