The Student Room Group

Missing every friday of my masters.

Hi,
I've been offered a part time position paying £450 for a 3 day week.

The issue is i'll have to miss a friday every week of uni. I missed alot of classes during bachelors and it didn't seem to matter but i'm wondering if missing 1 day a week will be an issue at masters level (particularly at Imperial).

I'm not crazy rich and the £450 a week would at least give me financial independence while I study.

I'm not worried it will affect my studies at all, just if the uni will take issue.
Surely it would depend on your timetable, and what kind of master's it is? For example, with my master's we had one 2-hour seminar each week for a particular module, with four modules per semester in the taught portion of the course. I can't imagine the uni being too happy if you missed every class for that module, if it happened to be on a Friday? If you have a choice of modules then you may be able to swing it that you're free on Fridays, but it could involve sacrificing taking a particular module, if the teaching is held on a Friday, and if it's a core or compulsory course, then you could be in trouble.

The uni may also have attendance regulations. Again, anecdotally from my experience, we could miss one seminar per module per semester before the uni would take action. However, if you're doing a research master's then it may not matter at all, if you have no taught elements.

I think in sum it's hard to say without knowing the type of master's, if you have an idea of the timetable yet, etc. I'm very sympathetic to the fact that money is very necessary when undertaking a master's, so I hope it works out for you - though I would also say, just a small note of caution, that while you may have missed plenty of classes at bachelor's level without it seeming to affect you, is that master's level is a step up. More is expected, and I think (again, just from my experience) that missing a lot of classes would be frowned upon, and may in fact impact you and your work. But then again, each uni is different, as is each student. If you are in a position to be able to take the job, make sure you stay on top of work and try and attend as much as you can.
Reply 2
Original post by gutenberg
Surely it would depend on your timetable, and what kind of master's it is? For example, with my master's we had one 2-hour seminar each week for a particular module, with four modules per semester in the taught portion of the course. I can't imagine the uni being too happy if you missed every class for that module, if it happened to be on a Friday? If you have a choice of modules then you may be able to swing it that you're free on Fridays, but it could involve sacrificing taking a particular module, if the teaching is held on a Friday, and if it's a core or compulsory course, then you could be in trouble.

The uni may also have attendance regulations. Again, anecdotally from my experience, we could miss one seminar per module per semester before the uni would take action. However, if you're doing a research master's then it may not matter at all, if you have no taught elements.

I think in sum it's hard to say without knowing the type of master's, if you have an idea of the timetable yet, etc. I'm very sympathetic to the fact that money is very necessary when undertaking a master's, so I hope it works out for you - though I would also say, just a small note of caution, that while you may have missed plenty of classes at bachelor's level without it seeming to affect you, is that master's level is a step up. More is expected, and I think (again, just from my experience) that missing a lot of classes would be frowned upon, and may in fact impact you and your work. But then again, each uni is different, as is each student. If you are in a position to be able to take the job, make sure you stay on top of work and try and attend as much as you can.

Yeah if it comes down to itl i'll drop the job just will suck having to depend on parents for a year.

Best case scenario my manager allows me to work just weekends (difficult given the nature of the work but i can try).
Original post by Oilfreak1
Yeah if it comes down to itl i'll drop the job just will suck having to depend on parents for a year.

Best case scenario my manager allows me to work just weekends (difficult given the nature of the work but i can try).

Totally understand. Hopefully it works out for you, you might just have to wait to see the timetable. Good luck! :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by gutenberg
Totally understand. Hopefully it works out for you, you might just have to wait to see the timetable. Good luck! :smile:

Unfortunately doubt i'll have a free day. The course doesn't even have a part time option as its so intense - there will probably be a clash with my timetable. The question will then be can I afford to choose work over uni lol.
The other thing to think about is whether or not you have to do a research project and if you have to be on campus for it. My student works Friday afternoons so we have to plan his work around that which is doable but if he couldn't come in at all on Friday there would be a problem because there's only so much work I'm willing to do for him for his project.
Reply 6
Original post by alleycat393
The other thing to think about is whether or not you have to do a research project and if you have to be on campus for it. My student works Friday afternoons so we have to plan his work around that which is doable but if he couldn't come in at all on Friday there would be a problem because there's only so much work I'm willing to do for him for his project.

Yeah once i've seen my timetable if theres a clash i'll probably just say no to the job and look for some weekend work.
Reply 7
Original post by Oilfreak1
Hi,
I've been offered a part time position paying £450 for a 3 day week.

The issue is i'll have to miss a friday every week of uni. I missed alot of classes during bachelors and it didn't seem to matter but i'm wondering if missing 1 day a week will be an issue at masters level (particularly at Imperial).

I'm not crazy rich and the £450 a week would at least give me financial independence while I study.

I'm not worried it will affect my studies at all, just if the uni will take issue.

What kind of job pays £450 for 3 days worth of work?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending