The Student Room Group

Brexit causes rush for Irish Citizenship

Apparently the Irish Passport Office in London is forecasting a million passport applications from UK citizens in the wake of Brexit, and I would not be surprised if that figure rises in the months and years ahead. Around 6 million Brits are entitled to Irish citizenship. Great way to keep an EU passport, I've got my application in. :lep:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Snufkin
Apparently the Irish Passport Office in London is forecasting a million passport applications from UK citizens in the wake of Brexit, and I would not be surprised if that figure rises in the months and years ahead. Around 6 million Brits are entitled to Irish citizenship. Great way to keep an EU passport, I've got my application in. :lep:

Is there any way to get one if I have no ties to Ireland?
Original post by orton6

Do you have any Irish/Northern Irish family?
Reply 3
Original post by Snufkin

No
Original post by orton6
No

Then no, you aren't entitled to an Irish passport. Bad luck.
I'm not surprised. If I had any vague link to a country in the EU I'd definitely research dual citizenship, but unfortunately I don't.
Reply 6
I think beyond my great grandparents or something a huge portion of my ancestry is Irish, but that's too many generations back I believe. :redface:
I honestly don't see the point. The EU's days are severely numbered now so what would be the point?
Original post by Snufkin

Does having an Aunt living in Ireland count? (she's my mothers sister so I don't know if thats a direct relation)
Original post by mercuryman
Does having an Aunt living in Ireland count? (she's my mothers sister so I don't know if thats a direct relation)

No. To be eligible, either a parent or grandparent has to have been born in Ireland (north or south).
Original post by Snufkin

It would also appear to be a good money earner for Ireland. At 80 euro a piece, that would be 80 million euros.

They specify that if you have one Irish grandparent with Irish citizenship, or who was born in Ireland, then you would qualify.
No. If you have a parent born on the island of Ireland then you should have dual nationality anyway. If you have a grandparent born on the island of Ireland then you can apply for Irish citizenship.

See here: http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/moving_country/irish_citizenship/irish_citizenship_through_birth_or_descent.html
There are others ways to get in folks. If you have a career skill they require and you apply for a work visa to live there for a few years, you can eventually apply for citizenship. That's the strategy I'm taking in moving to New Zealand. Once I'm qualified as an navigation officer, I'll be looking to work for a year or two in the UK and then look for work in NZ or Aussie, do that for a few years and then apply for citizenship. That's the plan anyway and I'll do what I can to make it work
I once drank a pint of Guinness many years ago, if that counts :dontknow:
Original post by marco14196
There are others ways to get in folks. If you have a career skill they require and you apply for a work visa to live there for a few years, you can eventually apply for citizenship. That's the strategy I'm taking in moving to New Zealand. Once I'm qualified as an navigation officer, I'll be looking to work for a year or two in the UK and then look for work in NZ or Aussie, do that for a few years and then apply for citizenship. That's the plan anyway and I'll do what I can to make it work

That's the route I want to take to live in canada, it'll take years though.
Original post by Wilfred Little
No. If you have a parent born on the island of Ireland then you should have dual nationality anyway. If you have a grandparent born on the island of Ireland then you can apply for Irish citizenship.

See here: http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/moving_country/irish_citizenship/irish_citizenship_through_birth_or_descent.html

Original post by Snufkin
No. To be eligible, either a parent or grandparent has to have been born in Ireland (north or south).

Original post by The Epicurean
It would also appear to be a good money earner for Ireland. At 80 euro a piece, that would be 80 million euros.

They specify that if you have one Irish grandparent with Irish citizenship, or who was born in Ireland, then you would qualify.

Oh, cool. Thanks!
Reply 16
Original post by orton6

If you are a UK citizen you already have the right to live in Ireland without restriction, and after you have lived there for a certain number years (If I recall the minimum is five years) you can then apply for Irish citizenship.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/moving_country/moving_to_ireland/rights_of_residence_in_ireland/residence_rules_UK_citizens.html
Does anyone know what makes one eligible for Irish citizenship?

I have an Irish friend, I love Guiness, and Gaelic. I like leprechauns and wear green. I've changed my name to Patrick Seamus Aidan O'chemting.

Maybe I need to marry an Irish lass?

@The Epicurean, pls find me a suitor.
Original post by chemting
Does anyone know what makes one eligible for Irish citizenship?

I have an Irish friend, I love Guiness, and Gaelic. I like leprechauns and wear green. I've changed my name to Patrick Seamus Aidan O'chemting.

Maybe I need to marry an Irish lass?

@The Epicurean, pls find me a suitor.

It was at this point that I lost it. :toofunny:

Good luck with your application! :h:
Reply 19
Original post by orton6
No

Marry a person of Irish descent e.g. Obama

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending