The Student Room Group

DWP Work Coach

Scroll to see replies

Original post by chocolatprincess
Does anyone know anything about training and how long it will be etc? Additionally, does anyone know anything about the hours etc? I'm a bit baffled as to why we would need to work between the hours of 8am-8pm and a Saturday when the Job centre is only open Monday -Friday 9am-5pm.

If the JCP isn't open on a Saturday then you don't work on a Saturday, it's merely because some JCP are open on Saturday as they're more central and larger.
Original post by chocolatprincess
Does anyone know anything about training and how long it will be etc? Additionally, does anyone know anything about the hours etc? I'm a bit baffled as to why we would need to work between the hours of 8am-8pm and a Saturday when the Job centre is only open Monday -Friday 9am-5pm.

I started 2 weeks ago and was told that you would still work 37 hrs a week but if you finish at 8pm then you would start later in the day, vice versa for the early start. Saturdays are rota based which works out to about 1 in 4 Saturday's - if you work a saturday then you have a day off during the week. Also they do take into account personal preference so you will have a conversation with your manager about which shifts you cannot do.
the extended opening hours are not expected to start until next year, and even then will probably not be until 8pm straight away as it will depend on customer demand. We were told at first it may be open until 6pm and then they will look into the demand based on the number of customers in a particular area.

The training is about 2 months, at the moment we do not have access to the systems until our dbs checks come through but we are keeping busy with work coach training, keeping safe ect.
hope that helps :smile:
[QUOTE="PandaSal;66045019"]If the JCP isn't open on a Saturday then you don't work on a Saturday, it's merely because some JCP are open on Saturday as they're more central and larger.[/QUOTE

over the next year all job centres will be open until 8pm including Saturday's which will be until 5pm, hence the reason why it says this on the job description, I also had this confirmed via management numerous times as I also believed my jobcentre was always going to be 9-5
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by dancinggenie
I started 2 weeks ago and was told that you would still work 37 hrs a week but if you finish at 8pm then you would start later in the day, vice versa for the early start. Saturdays are rota based which works out to about 1 in 4 Saturday's - if you work a saturday then you have a day off during the week. Also they do take into account personal preference so you will have a conversation with your manager about which shifts you cannot do.
the extended opening hours are not expected to start until next year, and even then will probably not be until 8pm straight away as it will depend on customer demand. We were told at first it may be open until 6pm and then they will look into the demand based on the number of customers in a particular area.

The training is about 2 months, at the moment we do not have access to the systems until our dbs checks come through but we are keeping busy with work coach training, keeping safe ect.
hope that helps :smile:

Thank you very much that has helped a lot. Are you enjoying the training so far?
Yes, everyone is really friendly and welcoming, even the district managers. There is 10 of us so far and 2 more due to start in the next few weeks. It's also very relaxed compared to my last job. We have also been able to observe existing work coaches with their interviews with customers which has been helpful. Our training facilitator is really good too and has answered all our questions and concerns, also arranged for us to visit various teams such as fraud and the employer engagement team, as well as a visit to our local benefit delivery centre.
All in all I'm feeling very positive :smile:
Yes, everyone is really friendly and welcoming, even the district managers. There is 10 of us so far and 2 more due to start in the next few weeks. It's also very relaxed compared to my last job. We have also been able to observe existing work coaches with their interviews with customers which has been helpful. Our training facilitator is really good too and has answered all our questions and concerns, also arranged for us to visit various teams such as fraud and the employer engagement team, as well as a visit to our local benefit delivery centre.

Im glad that they are arranging for you guys to visit the BC, we don'tget that many work coaches visiting lately

Thats really good. Glad you're enjoying it so far. Wishing you all the best.
Reply 507

Aww thats great i hope collegues are going to be welcoming like your centre. Which area are you
Im in East Yorkshire
Reply 509
Im in East Yorkshire
Somehow i wished you would say north London hehe
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Jo67
Somehow is wished you would say north London hehe

Are you north London as well? How far are you in the process?
Reply 511
Original post by awascher
Are you north London as well? How far are you in the process?

Yes I am too. Well I accepted an offer starting this tuesday coming, however my status online still say reserve and i definetly know that my checks are not complete yet as i received the offer last week .. What about you
Reply 512
UPDATE!!! I received a call not long ago telling me that i cant start on tuesday because of something to do with HR however i still have the offer just that my starting date will be in few weeks time as she said... Like really ? Am fuming as i have started making arrangement kmt
Original post by Jo67
Yes I am too. Well I accepted an offer starting this tuesday coming, however my status online still say reserve and i definetly know that my checks are not complete yet as i received the offer last week .. What about you

I have accepted the offer starting on the 4th. About 3 days ago I got an email to fill out Disclosure Scotland details and today I got an email to once again confirm my references. So I guess I will not hear back until mid-week next week.
Original post by Jo67

Hi Jo, are you starting tomorrow?
Reply 515
Hi Jo, are you starting tomorrow?

No i didnt as they said that they have an issue with they HR
Original post by Jo67
No i didnt as they said that they have an issue with they HR

I was given a start date 4th July but was then told that there were issues with some backlog and was then given a start date of the 25th July instead. Even though I received an offer in writing on headed paper for a permanent appointment starting the 25th July it also says that a full contract and employment terms and conditions will be issued when employment checks have successfully been completed.
Oh my God. They are still doing my checks as well. I'm tired now tbh
Oh my God. They are still doing my checks as well. I'm tired now tbh

I'm west london....which district are you?
North London... They are taking ages.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending