The Student Room Group

Corbyn loses Vote

Scroll to see replies

Original post by That Arab Guy
I think you're failing to recognise that the public elect the government, not the front benchers.

I know that but you cannot lead a party without support from the MP's, not effectively anyway. He has to know when it is time to leave, give up. :sad: I know that he does not have to leave even with this no confidence vote but he seems stubborn to be staying and I worry he is just making the situation much worse.
Reply 41
Original post by Davij038
That is really unsettling ...

das it mane
Original post by Shadow Hunters
I know that but you cannot lead a party without support from the MP's, not effectively anyway. He has to know when it is time to leave, give up. :sad: I know that he does not have to leave even with this no confidence vote but he seems stubborn to be staying and I worry he is just making the situation much worse.

True. But then he can replace the MP's so it's call good.
Original post by Shadow Hunters
He HAS to step down, honestly I was a corbynite till this week, he's being stubborn, he has to realise he can't win an election. :frown: By staying, he is ensuring the conservatives gain more votes than ever and possibly is allowing UKIP to get votes in Labour heartlands.

Yes he can win an election. He has loads of supporters actually. Most the MPs and media never liked him anyway so what did you expect? It is the members that elected him! What is the point in supporting him if you want him to resign? Why should he betray his supporters by resigning and he has absolutely no reason to.
Reply 44
Original post by _Morsey_
Yet the funny part of this is that he'll probably stand again and get elected by the Labour members.

Absolute turmoil in the Labour party.

The first positive outcome of Brexit. :u:
The members want him so the people want him and that is who he is representing and they are the ones who will vote for him!!!
Reply 46
Original post by Kryptonian
The members want him so the people want him and that is who he is representing and they are the ones who will vote for him!!!

Labour MPs have a far better claim of being representative of the "people". 9million people voted for Labour in 2015 against a Labour membership of around 500000. If you want to keep Corbyn, an arrogant, weak, idiotic leader in power, fine. Internal polling shows that Labour would get 75 seats if an election was held today - a result that would take decades to come back from.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by hazzer1998
Jemery Corbyn has lost a vote of Confidence Corbyn loses vote 172 to 40

Original post by hazzer1998
Jemery Corbyn has lost a vote of Confidence Corbyn loses vote 172 to 40

Good he loves the other colour too much
Original post by MrJAKEE
Labour MPs have a far better claim of being representative of the "people". 9million people voted for Labour in 2015 against a Labour membership of around 500000. If you want to keep Corbyn, an arrogant, weak, idiotic leader in power, fine. Internal polling shows that Labour would get 75 seats if an election was held today - a result that would take decades to come back from.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Polling? Polling showed that we would Remain in the EU but what happened?

That is your baseless opinion.
Original post by Josb
The first positive outcome of Brexit. :u:

Were you a remainer?
Steptoe should step down.

If he can't even command a majority in his own parliamentary party, then by definition he cannot be Prime Minister.
The members want him so the people want him

A couple hundred thousand well-meaning but misguided Labour supporters and hardcore Trotskyists do not constitute "the people". Anyone who is actually involved in the Labour Party repeatedly hears on the doorstep that people won't vote for him.

We had a similar thing with Miliband; people kept telling me they wouldn't vote for him, but I held out hope that somehow we would win the election. This time it's much worse, even people who supported Miliband say they won't support him.

And despite the Corbynite sect demanding that he continue as leader, they expect long-time Labour activists to actually do all the work to make it happen, as this piece from Tim Bale shows

What is fascinating, however, is that if Labour is to win, it may have to do it largely without much practical help from its new members and registered supporters. Confirming the complaints of many a Labour MP and ward secretary, the newbies might talk (and tweet) a good game, but they don’t necessarily turn up to do the hard yards.

Just over two-thirds of Labour’s post-GE2015 members and supporters (68%) have retweeted, posted or forwarded a message supporting the Labour party on social media and nearly nine out of ten (88%) claim to have signed a petition on behalf of the party. But only 15% of them have participated in door-to-door or telephone canvassing of voters or helped out at a party function, and only 28% of them claimed to have delivered leaflets. Indeed, some 63% said they had put in no time at all on behalf of the party during recent local, mayoral and devolved elections.

Finally, 61% of Labour’s new members say they have never attended a party meeting which could mean that MPs worried about their obvious enthusiasm for deselecting those hostile to Jeremy may have less to fear than they might think.
Reply 52
Polling? Polling showed that we would Remain in the EU but what happened?

That is your baseless opinion.

Oh right, now we have a poll denier.

The referendum polling was practically right, if you take into account the margin of error that comes with any poll. In any case, the prediction that it was going to be close was consistent.

If you honestly believe that a poll showing labour would have 75 seats doesn't indicate anything about Labour's prospects, you are truly deluded. Even if you look at polling done from the General Election, the Tories have consistently beaten Labour.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by MrJAKEE
I doubt we will be waiting till 2020, sooner the better in my view.
I just remembered that :
1) the Chilcott inquiry is coming up
2) the vote on Trident is coming up

No doubt these events will stir the labour membership from rejecting any Blairite and keeping Corbyn on. I think we are seeing the split of the Labour Party as we know it and I for one am loving it - I also love delusional Corbynites still trying to support him.

Posted from TSR Mobile

For a early election to be called, 66% of MPs have to vote in favour as the PM has lost the ability of being able to call an early election. See the Fixed Term Parliament Act.
Original post by MrJAKEE
Oh right, now we have a poll denier.

The referendum polling was practically right, if you take into account the margin of error that comes with any poll. In any case, the prediction that it was going to be close was consistent.

If you honestly believe that a poll showing labour would have 75 seats doesn't indicate anything about Labour's prospects, you are truly deluded. Even if you look at polling done from the General Election, the Tories have consistently beaten Labour.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Do you want another referendum??
And the poll was wrong stop talking rubbish.

Yes Labour has been losing because nobody likes them anymore but now Corbyn has come labour has new supporters. We want this new sort of politics
(edited 7 years ago)
With only 40 supporters in the parliamentary party, Corbyn simply cannot bring to bear enough shadows to actually form an opposition front bench and hold the government to account.

He is therefore willing to hand absolute power to the Tories in order to gratify his vanity
Reply 56
Original post by Davij038
Were you a remainer?

Yeah, but I like the news. :biggrin:
I sympathise with him. Nobody has put forward a particularly convincing candidate to replace him so bearing that in mind, at a time when the Labour Party needs to be stable, this challenge is irresponsible. They can have their challenge when they find a good replacement but at the moment they really haven't done this.
Do you want another referendum??
And the poll was wrong stop talking rubbish.

The poll? There were numerous polls, including three whose final polls predicted a Leave win.

Yes Labour has been losing because nobody likes them anymore but now Corbyn has come labour has new supporters

Except that Corbyn isn't winning new supporters. It was the first opposition for 30 years to lose seats in local council elections. Steptoe is completely useless
Reply 59
Original post by meenu89
For a early election to be called, 66% of MPs have to vote in favour as the PM has lost the ability of being able to call an early election. See the Fixed Term Parliament Act.

That is not the case in a motion of no confidence, in which case :
- any new Tory leader would want to get a mandate over a possible renegotiation and to govern as Prime Minister
- it would be inconceivable for Labour and the SNP to vote against the motion

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending