The Student Room Group

grammar school? Is it right for me?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by mediaya
hi everyone, i have just come back from the 'one day college' and really i still dont know where to go :s-smilie:

the sixth form college
i felt socially inferior (everyone else was talking to people, they seemed to know everyone :colonhash: and i was just wondering around....) but still i made quite a few friends:wink:, i found 2 french people like me :tongue: coool..... and the science center was attached to the university next to it so we went in there and seriously it's huuuuuuuge:K: (like u could fit 100 people in there......serious:^_^:) my biology teacher was sooo funny:ahee: (but i might not have him next year)

people wise..... i have to say i got scared for the first period, but it was fine. the people there were mixed, some were funny and idiot like (which i quite liked because i had some fun times):biggrin: others were very disciplined, shy and well behaved and some very very very talkative:blah:. so i guess the atmosphere is quite nice. Didn't met any rude people or people that didn't care about learning (probably because they are doing subjects they like) but it's so strange :K:

the only problem is that they are doing OCR for the sciences.....and i have been doing AQA so am scared i wont be able to adjust or something. the other problem is the stairs and the hugeness of the building (4 storeys, 3 stairs.......) i got lost 3 times.....but that's fine, i will eventually adjust (dunno why i mention this)

they have a lot of free computers and comfy, quiet areas to work in ur free times, offer work experiences and stuff

the grammar sixth form
teachers were quite strict unlike the college and basically expected you to know everything at GCSE to A* standard (eventhough they only asked for B grades for sciences) so they don't go over these things whereas the college said they will

all the eople were either shy/disciplined/(arrogant)/very clever as if they were perfect.....but that might just be my thoughts (i think tooo much in details btw)

they didn't show us around or anything

there you go my experiences so far...... where should i go then.....i'd say the sixth form college but what about the exam boards
EDIT: they both gave me tonnes of homework so i dont get bored over the summer holidays, :biggrin:yooopii (i knoe you think am stupid right now)

Spoiler

lol at my grammar we are not shy.
But yes most are very arrogant :tongue:
Original post by cookie123456789
yeah and my point was that in my grammar school there is not diversity (mainly middle class white kids) and in the SAME AREA there is a non-grammar school a short WALK AWAY which has a LOT MORE diversity (because it is not a grammar)
Maybe for you, but that's not the case for me..........
Original post by hamza772000
Maybe for you, but that's not the case for me..........

Fine! OK!
Fine! OK!
lol yeah :smile: Chill!:biggrin:
lol yeah :smile: Chill!:biggrin:

Nobody tells me to 'chill'
:colonhash:
Nobody tells me to 'chill'
:colonhash:
Maybe that's what a grammar school does to you.:tongue: jk :smile:
Original post by mediaya
i am going to be doing my a-levels after the summer holiday but i am not sure if i should go to a grammar school or just a normal sixth form college. i have applied in both and got an offer in both of them.

What do you recommend? Anyone went to grammar school?How was it?

Go to whichever one you prefer. Below are examples of what a general sixth form college and grammar school are like, although the info is a bit individualised to my experiences.

Sixth Form College:
- Bigger so a lot more people
- Very relaxed, casual dress.
- Can leave during frees
- Large facilities and large classes

Grammar:
- Strict dress code and can't leave during frees
- Comparatively small in size, and have to deal with Year 7's
- Around 40% original students and 60% from 25 other schools
- A lot of homework
- Great teachers, some of whom were very enthusiastic
- They assume you've done triple science, when I only did core and additional... That was annoying.
- Lots of 'smart people' around you motivate you to work hard

I went to a grammar school and I feel that I have got higher grades than that I would achieve if I went to the sixth form college or if I stayed on at my current school (although no one at my old school got higher than ABBC at AS, so...)
Maybe that's what a grammar school does to you.:tongue: jk :smile:

Haha very funny. :colonhash::congrats:
Hello there :smile: I have a younger sister who's going to an all-girls grammar school (obviously selective :rofl: ) soon into Year 7 in September after passing her 11+ entrance exam :biggrin: . IMO, grammar schools are just like 'Ofsted outstanding' rated independent/private and boarding schools but for free state schools. They teach a lot better and care about their students' achievements, hence the high expectations and strict behavior by teachers and the headteacher have contributed to amazing GCSE & A-Level results compared to normal public schools (which aren't so good in my view :frown: ), so a grammar school is a good choice... IF you passed your entry exam. PM me if you need to :smile:
Haha very funny. :colonhash::congrats:
Maybe it wasn't funny...... what a grumpy cookie you are.........
Maybe it wasn't funny...... what a grumpy cookie you are.........

Your not funny... and yes I am a 'grumpy cookie'. Thanks for acknowledging that.
Your not funny... and yes I am a 'grumpy cookie'. Thanks for acknowledging that.
*You're
I never said I was........

You're welcome :smile:
Original post by mediaya
i am going to be doing my a-levels after the summer holiday but i am not sure if i should go to a grammar school or just a normal sixth form college. i have applied in both and got an offer in both of them.

What do you recommend? Anyone went to grammar school?How was it?

I've been at a grammar school for five years and I've loved my whole time there. I would be going there for sixth form but I got a scholarship to another better school so I'm heading there.

Have you compared results of both schools? If you can speak to some pupils and teachers at both options, that can be useful. That's what I found helpful when deciding.

Grammar school has a lot of preconceptions but I've found it to be exactly the same as another other school and in some situations better as you move at a faster pace in lessons and aren't held back by misbehaviour. Hope this helps!
*You're
I never said I was........

You're welcome :smile:

:angry: I was writing the word 'you're' quickly...I'm bound to make a few mistakes...just because I go to a Grammar school you expect me to have perfect spelling?!
I've been to a grammar school my entire life haha

A lot of people who came from other schools in sixth form said the environment was different and slightly more competitive than at their previous school.
Grammar schools would be like school, I go to school from 8:30-3:30 every single day although I do get study periods.
Lessons are not optional, in some colleges it can be more like university where they don't really take a register.
Colleges tend to be more relaxed; you can call your teacher by their first name and the lessons are more lecture-style. Some people have days off on their timetable- you only have to come in during lessons then you can go home. In college you may also have some mature students in your classes, a school is not like that.
:angry: I was writing the word 'you're' quickly...I'm bound to make a few mistakes...just because I go to a Grammar school you expect me to have perfect spelling?!
What does that have to do with you making a mistake? I never said or expressed in any way that I expect you to be perfect, you made a mistake so I corrected you, don't need to get heated.

I'm a human too and I can make mistakes as well, I seemed to have pissed you off, I'm sorry. :redface:

Can we just be friends? :smile:
What does that have to do with you making a mistake? I never said or expressed in any way that I expect you to be perfect, you made a mistake so I corrected you, don't need to get heated.

I'm a human too and I can make mistakes as well, I seemed to have pissed you off, I'm sorry. :redface:

Can we just be friends? :smile:

Ok... fine... :colonhash: you have pissed me off a bit but I figured I am being a bit of an arrogant grump so I guess I sort of deserve it.
Friends it is. :redface:
Ok... fine... :colonhash: you have pissed me off a bit but I figured I am being a bit of an arrogant grump so I guess I sort of deserve it.
Friends it is. :redface:
No you don't! :smile: I'm truly sorry. :redface: Well, I assume you've forgiven me, so I guess we can leave this behind and move on, do you agree? :redface:
No you don't! :smile: I'm truly sorry. :redface: Well, I assume you've forgiven me, so I guess we can leave this behind and move on, do you agree? :redface:

I'm sorry too. Yes I agree :redface:
I'm sorry too. Yes I agree :redface:
Well, in that case, I guess we should just be happy! :biggrin:

P.S: I'm sorry if I come across as 'cringey' at times :redface:

Quick Reply

Latest