The Student Room Group

Should I take the UKCAT test or not?

I'm still unsure whether or not I want to go into medicine or pharmacy. The main cause of these uncertainties are because I know I really messed up my AS exams this year (yes, I haven't had results back yet but i've always been pretty accurate predicting my own exam results :/ ). It's such a competitive course to get into (medicine.. and pharmacy tbh, i might not even get into either). If I do I'd be applying for 2017 entry.

Ok, back to the main point.. because im not 100% sure on medicine I don't know if i should book for the UKCAT test and take it, just in case I do decide to go into medicine (which I honestly would really love to, much more than pharmacy). Does it have any influence when it comes to applying for uni if say I did take the UKCAT test and decided not to go into medicine?
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by 1DMinHoFTHongKi
I'm still unsure whether or not I want to go into medicine or pharmacy. The main cause of these uncertainties are because I know I really messed up my AS exams this year (yes, I haven't had results back yet but i've always been pretty accurate predicting my own exam results :/ ). It's such a competitive course to get into (medicine.. and pharmacy tbh, i might not even get into either). If I do I'd be applying for 2017 entry.

Ok, back to the main point.. because im not 100% sure on medicine I don't know if i should book for the UKCAT test and take it, just in case I do decide to go into medicine (which I honestly would really love to, much more than pharmacy). Does it have any influence when it comes to applying for uni if say I did take the UKCAT test and decided not to go into medicine?

Hi,

Since it is clear there is some uncertainty on your decision wether to apply to medicine, my advice would be this if I were to be in your position. UKCAT is between 1st July and 5th October. I would prebook the exam so it is after your AS results which are being released on the 18th August. If results have gone better than you think, go ahead and take the UKCAT on your prebooked date (Just ensure you have left yourself enough time to revise for it!). If exam results have not gone well you can cancel and get a full refund. The UKCAT is only valid that year of application anyway so it would not have any bearing on future applications because you would need to take the UKCAT again the year after anyway if you reapplied. Hope this helps. If you have any further questions in relation to applying to medicine feel free to ask :smile:
Good luck!
(edited 7 years ago)

Hi there,

We agree with the message above - it's great advice!

To add to it, you've said yourself that you would really love to study Medicine, more than Pharmacy. You should choose to study a degree that you know you'll enjoy, as well as one that you will use in your future career!

Definitely consider booking a UKCAT test date for after your exam results in August. You never know! However, whether you decide to take the UKCAT and then not use it should not have an effect or influence on any of the universities you apply to.

You can always double check this by phoning up the admissions office of your chosen universities.

We hope this helps - and good luck with your results!

The Medic Portal
Original post by 06shawm
Hi,

Since it is clear there is some uncertainty on your decision wether to apply to medicine, my advice would be this if I were to be in your position. UKCAT is between 1st July and 5th October. I would prebook the exam so it is after your AS results which are being released on the 18th August. If results have gone better than you think, go ahead and take the UKCAT on your prebooked date (Just ensure you have left yourself enough time to revise for it!). If exam results have not gone well you can cancel and get a full refund. The UKCAT is only valid that year of application anyway so it would not have any bearing on future applications because you would need to take the UKCAT again the year after anyway if you reapplied. Hope this helps. If you have any further questions in relation to applying to medicine feel free to ask :smile:
Good luck!

Thank you for your advice :biggrin: !! 06shawm & Themedicportal, I booked for the UKCAT yesterday for September. So I can look at my exam results to be more sure on what to choose.

06shawm are you studying medicine now? If so which uni are you doing it in? :biggrin:
Reply 4
Thank you for your advice :biggrin: !! 06shawm & Themedicportal, I booked for the UKCAT yesterday for September. So I can look at my exam results to be more sure on what to choose.

06shawm are you studying medicine now? If so which uni are you doing it in? :biggrin:

Not a problem! Glad to hear the advice was useful and you definitely made the right decision booking it now, keeps your options open. :biggrin: I am a 3rd year (soon to be 4th year) medic at the University of Manchester.*
Original post by 06shawm
Not a problem! Glad to hear the advice was useful and you definitely made the right decision booking it now, keeps your options open. :biggrin: I am a 3rd year (soon to be 4th year) medic at the University of Manchester.*

Oh, cool :smile: are you enjoying it? haha I bet its stressful

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending