The Student Room Group

Corbyn loses Vote

Scroll to see replies

Original post by JamesN88
In 1997 Labour led by Blair virtually wiped out the Tories in the general election who didn't even win a single seat outside of England. Corbyn lives in a London bubble and simply can't connect with the Labour heartlands who are turning to UKIP.

If we're lucky we'd end up with a Tory majority or if we're unlucky it'd be a Tory and UKIP coalition.

Who will be the tory PM ? What do you think?
Original post by Kryptonian
Who will be the tory PM ? What do you think?

I think Boris, I'm hoping for anyone but Boris.
Reply 82
What I am enjoying most out of this situation is the membership going on about Corbyn's mandate, as if they can simply disregard the MP's and their electoral backing. Do some of Corbyn's supporters think MP's are simply appointed? I feel many of them will be more in touch with what the electorate wants than the unelected membership
I think Boris, I'm hoping for anyone but Boris.

ah what about May?
ah what about May?

Not much of an opinion on her tbh.
Original post by viddy9
If there were an alternative to Mr. Corbyn who could continue on the work that John McDonnell has been doing with the world's top economists - an invest-to-grow economic strategy that provides a positive and sensible alternative to the Conservatives' austerity agenda, and called for by both the IMF and the OECD, then I would consider supporting that alternative. More McDonnell's eminently sensible Fiscal Rule, less Osborne's very silly and very arbitrary budget surplus target (which people like Liz Kendall would have supported).

There would be other conditions: they'd have to support taking the railways into public ownership; they'd have to give assurances that they won't yet again get into a competition with the Conservatives over who can bash immigrants and welfare claimants the most; they'd have to support democracy in the workplace and workers' co-operatives; they'd have to be highly sceptical of military interventions.

If there's a candidate out there who can meet those conditions, I would support them.

Corbyn has to be on the ballot for this to happen, though, which is why a leadership election is the best outcome now. I highly doubt that the Parliamentary Labour Party will find a candidate who would meet members' approval (i.e. meeting many if not all of the above conditions), particularly as they've reverted back to their sneering, negative campaigning instead of actually working on finding a positive alternative to Jeremy Corbyn. But, if they do, I would give them my support.

Yeah. MacDonald has grown into his role much better than Corbyn has.
Not much of an opinion on her tbh.

Ah ok what are your opinions of Cameron?
Breaking News!

Owen Jones declines to state his support for Corbyn. This has to be the beginning of the end
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
Yeah. MacDonald has grown into his role much better than Corbyn has.

I can't stand Corbyn but I actually don't mind John McDonnell. He's obviously significantly more intelligent than Corbyn, much shrewder. I think he should have a shadow cabinet position when the new leader is elected.
Original post by Shadow Hunters
Yeah he does have a good reason to resign, his leadership was tested in the Eu referendum and he failed, Labour heartlands votes leave and he was completely detached and lacked passion throughout the campaign. MP's in their professional opinion cannot see him winning an election nor can senior Labour people like Alistair Campbell. Corbyn is making the party more divided by staying. They need a leader who can unite them and that's not Corbyn, you know that! But it's not like the other options are great for leadership either if I'm honest. :s-smilie:

Most of labour wanted Remain. BY that logic they should all resign. If he is a euro sceptic which other PLP MPs accuse him of he is more in tune with all the leave voters than the economic third way right of the labour party and their views on globalisation and immigration.
Reply 90
Original post by Thutmose-III
Breaking News!

Owen Jones declines to state his support for Corbyn. This has to be the beginning of the end

Owen was pro Remain interestingly..
I can't stand Corbyn but I actually don't mind John McDonnell. He's obviously significantly more intelligent than Corbyn, much shrewder. I think he should have a shadow cabinet position when the new leader is elected.

You stopped replying which suggests you have no further comments! 😀
So I was the winner aha.
Ah ok what are your opinions of Cameron?

Not bad by Tory standards.
Breaking News!

Why what are you suggesting? Please be clear, thanks
Breaking News!

Here's the full thing on his blog thingy.

https://medium.com/@OwenJones84/my-thoughts-on-the-plight-of-labour-38413229f88#.5fbm2rwd0

Pretty much where I would sit if I was in the labour party.
Anyone fed up of constantly seeing this guys face on the news?
I said in my last comment that Owen Jones declined to state his support.

That was incorrect, he has now explicitly said Corbyn must go for the good of the party

https://medium.com/@OwenJones84/my-thoughts-on-the-plight-of-labour-38413229f88#.f798739f5
Not bad by Tory standards.

Agreed , compared to his predecessors who made a big mess.
Why what are you suggesting? Please be clear, thanks

Owen Jones was Corbyn's biggest supporter in the media. If Corbyn can't even convince someone like Owen Jones that he should remain leader, it's time for him to go
Reply 99
His party is responsible , the stupid MPs resigning who then complain, Corbyn isn't. These MPs have caused all these problems.

Lets de-bunk this myth that Jeremy Corbyn was not to blame for the loss of the referendum for remain. Labour heartlands in the north voted decisively for Leave. Bolsover voted strongly for leave. Sunderland voted to leave. Newcastle nearly voted leave - despite its large student population. Birmingham voted leave - despite the vast majority of its MPs being Labour. Wales too fell for leave. Young remain voters (who mostly support Labour) didn't vote. The English areas that voted to stay were actually only London and a lot of Southern Tory-held areas (Cotswolds, Tunbrige Wells etc). The Tories clearly didn't fail as much in the campaign in getting its supporters to vote remain, but very clearly Labour did.

Now WHY is it Corbyn's fault you might ask. I question you, where was he on the campaign? What was he doing? He had a duty to lead on this key issue but didn't. Indeed for many, his highlight on the campaign was saying the EU was a 7/10 on a C4 chat-show.

Privately however, it is abundantly clear that he derailed the campaign.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-36633238

To paraphrase if you can't be bothered to read it:
-Corbyn deliberately watered down his campaign, removing elements about immigration that were agreed by the PLP as a whole.
-Corbyn was too reluctant to give any support to the campaign

http://www.politico.eu/article/how-david-cameron-lost-brexit-eu-referendum-prime-minister-campaign-remain-boris-craig-oliver-jim-messina-obama/To paraphrase this if you can't be bothered to read it:
-Corbyn refused to cooperate with the remain campaign as a whole (standing by Cameron) to show cross-party unity to leave the EU, which was shown to be the best way of gaining voters
-Corbyn was selfish enough to prevent giving their voter registration lists with Stronger IN, fearing the Tories would use it against them
There is more from Alan Johnson (from the Guardian's livefeed) but I thought you would dismiss it as being too Blairite.

You can support Remain and still support Corbyn even if he secretly wants to leave, who cares. He is a great person who I think will help our country. He will help people who are less fortunate in our society and that is what matters.

As a Labour supporter, do you honestly think then that everyone else in PLP do not want to 'help people who are less fortunate' ? You don't think that leaving the EU will harm the poor in this country more than staying in, something he clearly inhabited? Really?

I hope btw this wasn't too baseless for you and you start providing evidence for your claims too.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending