The Student Room Group

D2 Dynamic Programming

Dynamic programming question: A wide load needs moving from one town to another and the driver wants to find the route which allows him to keep the width limit as wide as possible. Is this minimax or maximin? I'm really struggling to get my head around it any help would be really appreciated.https://youtu.be/7fvSAASZwnY This video says its minimax however I think it's maximin.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 1
I agree with you here tbh, either the video is wrong or we're wrong hahaha, you're aiming to make the narrowest path as wide as possible, in essence you are trying to maximise your minimum value. This means that you consider the minimums within the dynamic programming table in order to find the maximum - Maximin.
Original post by Lobster37
Dynamic programming question: A wide load needs moving from one town to another and the driver wants to find the route which allows him to keep the width limit as wide as possible. Is this minimax or maximin? I'm really struggling to get my head around it any help would be really appreciated.https://youtu.be/7fvSAASZwnY This video says its minimax however I think it's maximin.

The way I think about it is that he wants to keep the width LIMIT as wide as possible. This means you would be maximising the minimum limit of the load, hence minimax; max of the minimum.

God I hate the terminology for D2, I'm all prepped to fail tomorrow. :frown:
Reply 3
Original post by RDKGames
The way I think about it is that he wants to keep the width LIMIT as wide as possible. This means you would be maximising the minimum limit of the load, hence minimax; max of the minimum.

Isn't maximin the maximum of the minimum? Like when in table form you write it out as min(##,##) then pick the maximum value?
Original post by RDKGames

Isn't minimax the min of the maximum?
Original post by mxixbl
Isn't maximin the maximum of the minimum? Like when in table form you write it out as min(##,##) then pick the maximum value?

And that is precisely why I will fail. Good luck!

Quick Reply