The Student Room Group

How many Brexiters does it take to change a light bulb?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by ByEeek
You mean below average? It is just a shame many Brexiters cite immigrants for their woes rather than the fact that immigrants are generally better educated and harder working.

I wasn't talking about immigrants
Original post by illegaltobepoor

So for a start. We need a massive housing revolution in this country. Forget about houses to buy. House rent needs to fall to as little as £25 a month so we can pay our workers 100% less than what they are earning at the moment.

Agreed. But if what is the point in destroying much of the wealth of the country to help a minority (and they are a minority - unemployment is currently 5%) of the country gain work. This is the problem I have with much of the Brexit argument. We have simply flip-flopped the country. Personally, I would advocate a house building policy that sees house price growth reduced to around zero. As wages increase houses will fall in real terms, but no one will lose their investment. Those investing in property for gain, will simply go elsewhere hence easing the pressure on people looking for someone to live still further. And finally - there is nothing wrong with building more social housing.

As for coal as an energy source. It is easy to talk about but I am yet to see a viable working prototype.
Tbh you're all as bad as eachother.

Get over it, it's sad people are still spending their time debating this.
Better than just pretending it's not broken and doesn't need removing and being in the dark.
Reply 24
Original post by ByEeek
But if the immigrants leave do you really think the employer wants to hire a lazy Brit who can't read or string a sentence together without Fing and Geoffing?

Unlike most on here; I can remember things from the 90s and early 00s before the flood gates had opened and I certainly don't recall there being thousands of minimum wage jobs remaining unfilled.*
Day 5 and the remainers are still angry
Original post by Fantastic Fan
Day 5 and the remainers are still angry

You've only just noticed that then?
Original post by Boreism
You've only just noticed that then?

No not really.
Reply 28
The first electric light was made in 1800 by Humphry Davy, an English scientist. He experimented with electricity and invented an electric battery. When he connected wires to his battery and a piece of carbon, the carbon glowed, producing light. This is called an electric arc.

Much later, in 1860, the English physicist Sir Joseph Wilson Swan (1828-1914) was determined to devise a practical, long-lasting electric light. He found that a carbon paper filament worked well, but burned up quickly. In 1878, he demonstrated his new electric lamps in Newcastle, England.

In 1877, the American Charles Francis Brush manufactured some carbon arcs to light a public square in Cleveland, Ohio, USA. These arcs were used on a few streets, in a few large office buildings, and even some stores. Electric lights were only used by a few people.

The inventor Thomas Alva Edison (in the USA) experimented with thousands of different filaments to find just the right materials to glow well and be long-lasting. In 1879, Edison discovered that a carbon filament in an oxygen-free bulb glowed but did not burn up for 40 hours. Edison eventually produced a bulb that could glow for over 1500 hours

bulb.jpg

Lewis Howard Latimer (1848-1928) improved the bulb by inventing a carbon filament (patented in 1881); Latimer was a member of Edison's research team, which was called "Edison's Pioneers." In 1882, Latimer developed and patented a method of manufacturing his carbon filaments.

In 1903, Willis R. Whitney invented a treatment for the filament so that it wouldn't darken the inside of the bulb as it glowed. In 1910, William David Coolidge (1873-1975) invented a tungsten filament which lasted even longer than the older filaments. The incandescent bulb revolutionized the world.
Two One to promise a bright future. The second to screw it up. 😂😂😂

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending