The Student Room Group

Spanish gcse help please!

I really want to get an a* in gcse Spanish and ever since I've started year 10 it hasn't been going well. I got 18 in both writing and speaking (which I know I can definitely improve-next controlled assessment I hopefully will!!!) but I am struggling with mainly listening!! What's the best was to revise for listenings and readings, or even oral and writing? an A* advice? that would be great!
I wouldn't get too worried about it in Y10 (presuming all your exams are in Y11). 18/20 is still a very good (A*) controlled assessment mark.

I got an A* at GCSE (did it a year early in Y10). I did WJEC, so my course might be slightly different to yours. For listening comprehension, practice is important - past papers are one way of getting used to the spoken language. You could also find other resources online. In my experience, the speakers in listening exams speak quite slowly (at least compared to native speakers). If you practice listening to people speaking slightly faster than they do in the exam, past papers should (hopefully) become quite a bit easier. For reading (and this applies to listening too):
- Vocabulary is important - perhaps you could find a revision book containing the important vocabulary (I think CGP do good ones).
- Make sure you can recognise the endings for the different tenses (preterite, conditional, future, etc.)
- Do past papers (this might seem obvious) - Make a list of unfamiliar vocabulary you come across and learn it.
For oral and writing, all I can think to say is to prepare your controlled assessments thoroughly (in my school, at least, we write drafts and have them corrected by our teacher before learning them off by heart) and practice pronunciation - perhaps you could go over sounds/words that are difficult to pronounce with your teacher.

Hope that helps :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 2
To make the exams feel a little easier you need to get your coursework to very high grades.

Revise key terms that come up each year as they tend to be repeated each year and revise intensley the list of key words in revision booklets.

Doing past papers is key! First improve your listening skills and then onto listening tests!

Original post by dinara_jay
I really want to get an a* in gcse Spanish and ever since I've started year 10 it hasn't been going well. I got 18 in both writing and speaking (which I know I can definitely improve-next controlled assessment I hopefully will!!!) but I am struggling with mainly listening!! What's the best was to revise for listenings and readings, or even oral and writing? an A* advice? that would be great!
Reply 3
Original post by archipelaglobule
I wouldn't get too worried about it in Y10 (presuming all your exams are in Y11). 18/20 is still a very good (A*) controlled assessment mark.

I got an A* at GCSE (did it a year early in Y10). I did WJEC, so my course might be slightly different to yours. For listening comprehension, practice is important - past papers are one way of getting used to the spoken language. You could also find other resources online. In my experience, the speakers in listening exams speak quite slowly (at least compared to native speakers). If you practice listening to people speaking slightly faster than they do in the exam, past papers should (hopefully) become quite a bit easier. For reading (and this applies to listening too):
- Vocabulary is important - perhaps you could find a revision book containing the important vocabulary (I think CGP do good ones).
- Make sure you can recognise the endings for the different tenses (preterite, conditional, future, etc.)
- Do past papers (this might seem obvious) - Make a list of unfamiliar vocabulary you come across and learn it.
For oral and writing, all I can think to say is to prepare your controlled assessments thoroughly (in my school, at least, we write drafts and have them corrected by our teacher before learning them off by heart) and practice pronunciation - perhaps you could go over sounds/words that are difficult to pronounce with your teacher.

Hope that helps :smile:

Thank you so much! Really good advice. I'm also doing WJEC.
Reply 4
Original post by bod247
To make the exams feel a little easier you need to get your coursework to very high grades.

Revise key terms that come up each year as they tend to be repeated each year and revise intensley the list of key words in revision booklets.

Doing past papers is key! First improve your listening skills and then onto listening tests!

That's what I've been trying to do, but it isn't as easy as I thought tbh! Thanks for the advice!
Reply 5
Original post by dinara_jay

I listened to spanish radio and wrote in both English and Spanish what I heard. For reading I got books translated in to spanish and read them and again wrote what I understood. Hope it helps😃

Quick Reply

Latest