The Student Room Group

Ask me about Egyptology!

Scroll to see replies

What do you plan on doing as a career?

Are you worried that a lot of employers will see Egyptology as a "Mickey Mouse" degree?
Original post by Plagioclase
Any particular idea why you said that Egyptology is gaining popularity in countries that weren't traditionally involved in it like the far east? There might not be a particular reason but I was wondering if there was.

I was actually talking about the growing popularity of it today, but I'm not too sure as to why. I think it's due to globalisation, really, and the fact that maybe students are coming over to Europe to study Egyptology, then returning back to their own countries and perhaps increasing the interest over there.
Original post by Edminzodo
I am! But also an aspiring linguist and (not as much) an archaeologist. I will be studying the entirety of its history, and all of its leaders. There are roughly 31 dynasties of Egypt, and I am most interested in the 18th - 20th dynasties.

The ENTIRE history??? I would NEVER be able to study all of it. My assumption is that the 18th to 20th dynasties are when they faced off against the Assyrians and the Kushites? Forgive me if I am mistaken.
That is bloody cool. I have lots of questions to ask but I don't have time now.
Original post by Waifuism
what do you think about people who believe that aliens helped build the pyramids?

Well, there is this conspiracy called the Abydos Helicopter which makes me laugh. To cut a long story short, the pharaoh Seti I carved his name onto his temple and his son carved his name over the top out of respect, which makes it look like a helicopter . . . Although I'm not too sure about aliens. I do think that there is some credibility in the Ancient Egyptians being very in touch with sort of borderline magic - I don't know the right words to explain it but there work was so incredibly advanced.
Original post by TercioOfParma
They also used to, in the aftermath of sacking cities, hang the skinned corpses of civilians from the walls.

The Armarna letters are an interesting read if you haven't already read them when it comes to that.

Lovely . . . And thank you, I'll have a look!
Original post by niv1234
Thats interesting. I've heard of that probably from a random documentary. I've always wanted to understand hieroglyphics but I will probably never get around to learning it especially as the writing system is so complex.

Spoiler

Yes, but it would be interesting if they found Nefertiti but they probably won't. Apparently people used to burn mummies as fuel as long as you don't do that I'm sure you will be fine.

That sounds intriguing.

There are some summer schools and courses you could go to. Or you could buy 'How To Read Egyptian Hieroglyphs' and teach yourself! They're a bit daunting but not too bad (famous last words).

That is a really interesting fact, and you're not a weirdo!

Yes, I've heard that. The Victorians were a bit mad. They also used to do public unwrapping of mummies . . .
Original post by stevey396
What do you plan on doing as a career?

Are you worried that a lot of employers will see Egyptology as a "Mickey Mouse" degree?

I plan on staying in Egyptology or working in retail marketing or some sort of similar field. My back up plan is the civil service or law, which are surprisingly common routes for undergraduate Egyptologists to follow, or so I've heard. My long term goal is to become a writer, but that's a bit irrelevant.

A little, yes. But I think that at the same time they will be fascinated and I'll have a chance to explain what a great degree it is!
Original post by Adamski191
The ENTIRE history??? I would NEVER be able to study all of it. My assumption is that the 18th to 20th dynasties are when they faced off against the Assyrians and the Kushites? Forgive me if I am mistaken.

Well, as much as possible! I know that Tuthmosis III (18th Dynasty) fought against the Assyrians and became known as the 'Napoleon of Egypt'. Not too sure about the Kushites, though, although that sounds about right.
I'm going to be starting an Egyptology degree in September. As it's a 'weird' subject, I usually get a lot of questions about it. Now I can answer them all in one place.

Here we go!

i LEGIT want to do this!!
so jealous!!!
it fascinates me SO much!!
There are some summer schools and courses you could go to. Or you could buy 'How To Read Egyptian Hieroglyphs' and teach yourself! They're a bit daunting but not too bad (famous last words).

That is a really interesting fact, and you're not a weirdo!

Yes, I've heard that. The Victorians were a bit mad. They also used to do public unwrapping of mummies . . .

That is a good idea. I have a long summer ahead of me, I will add that to my list of things to do

Thanks.

That is gruesome on another level.
Why do you think did the Ancient Egyptian civilisation die so early?
Well, there is this conspiracy called the Abydos Helicopter which makes me laugh. To cut a long story short, the pharaoh Seti I carved his name onto his temple and his son carved his name over the top out of respect, which makes it look like a helicopter . . . Although I'm not too sure about aliens. I do think that there is some credibility in the Ancient Egyptians being very in touch with sort of borderline magic - I don't know the right words to explain it but there work was so incredibly advanced.

hmm i've never seen the helicopter one before but yeah i can see the similarity

and some of the things that ancient egyptians created really do seem like they would need some serious power to make, i understand what you mean completely
Well, as much as possible! I know that Tuthmosis III (18th Dynasty) fought against the Assyrians and became known as the 'Napoleon of Egypt'. Not too sure about the Kushites, though, although that sounds about right.

Thank God. I don't know an awful lot about Ancient Egyptian history, so it's a miracle I got that right. Anyways, I wish you the best of luck on your degree. Let's hope you get it with flying colours!
Original post by oShahpo
Why do you think did the Ancient Egyptian civilisation die so early?

Well, I don't think that's actually the case as it had been around for thousands of years. It just seems early because it began so early. But I think because of the rise of the Greek and Roman empires, who superseded the weakening power of Egypt.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 36
A BA/Bachelor's degree!

What do you want to do in the future, what sort of jobs there are for people with Egyptology degree? :smile:
was it wrong for a Pharaoh to marry his sister, even if she was really hot ?
Can you understand hieroglyphics to any degree yet?

Were you inspired by any pop culture figures?
Original post by In2u
What do you want to do in the future, what sort of jobs there are for people with Egyptology degree? :smile:

I think I mentioned it in an earlier post but either Egyptology or retail marketing/law/the civil service.

It really varies. A lot stay in the field, but others move on to law, the civil service, consulting etc. Like me (possibly)!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending