The Student Room Group
I wouldn't worry about those stats. The number of people doing Access as a mature student is minuscule compared to A-Levels or BTEC so they're never going to make a big impact on the figures.

Most unis have around 10% mature students(give or take) and a lot of those get in via pre-existing qualifications or do foundation years.
(edited 7 years ago)
It is totally possible to get into a Russel Group with an Access course. Even Cambridge accepts an Access course for some courses. I'm going to a Russel Group after finishing my access, and i'd recommend it to anyone. It's the best thing I've ever done.
I did an access course and got offers from two Russel group unis (Warwick and brum) You will need to get 30 + credits at distinction minimum which is easier - in my view - than the equiv in a levels.
Reply 4
Original post by Wisefire
My only option to pursue a Business or Management or Finance degree at a good university is to do an Access to HE diploma in Business. People and the universities I have interest in have told me an Access course is suitable for entry onto the courses I want to get on to. However, looking at these statistics is very worrying for me. If you look at the entry information, you can see how few if any people have gotten onto these courses I have great interest in doing through an Access course... But, what choice do I have as a 19 year old with only GCSEs and AS'?

Email the admission teams of the universities you are interested in to see whether or not they will accept it for the course you want to do.
Reply 5
Well the specific degrees at the specific universities I would like to aim for all do say they accept an Access to Business course. However, if for example I ever wanted to apply for study at a university abroad, A-levels might get me there and be acceptable for that whereas an Access to Business course will possibly not.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Not sure what you mean. Do you want to apply for unis abroad for undergrads?
Well the specific degrees at the specific universities I would like to aim for all do say they accept an Access to Business course. However, if for example I ever wanted to apply for study at a university abroad, A-levels might get me there and be acceptable for that whereas an Access to Business course will possibly not.

Posted from TSR Mobile

you will probably find it hard to go abroad with an access course vs a -levels. No data on that but obvs a-levels is more well known.
Reply 7

Posted from TSR Mobile

Apply for study abroad, when? After you get a UK degree? If so the degree would be more relevant thanyour A-levels or your Access course.
Reply 8
I've been thinking of potentially doing someday further study in a country such as Germany.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Your degree will be much more relevant and important than your pre-degree academics.
I've just finished an access course and got straight distinctions; this far surpassed my offers from three Russell Group universities, so yes, it's possible.
Popped up and I see people have already answered it. % of applicants is obviously different from your % chance becayse thsoe stats dont take into account how many of each type of applicant there were.
Reply 11
And an Access course is obviously also an acceptable pre-degree qualification for PG study?
Well this is what it seems I shall do from September.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes. If something is acceptable for UG, then it's also "acceptable" for PG. :smile:

It's your UG that enables you to be accepted to a PG course anyway.
Did you have any pre existing quals / good gcses
Original post by Tylerharttt
Did you have any pre existing quals / good gcses

Thread is 5 years old so you are unlikely to get a reply.

What happened to the OP isn’t a very reliable guide for you as Access courses and academic profiles are looked at more holistically and on a case by case basis.

The short answer to the OP’s question is yes, but you may need to be selective in where you apply, (or research thoroughly ahead of enrolling on the Access course).

Latest

Trending

Trending