The Student Room Group

Residency Eligibility Confusion - Postgrad Loan

Hi, I'm a little confused about the residency eligibility for EU students. I am an Irish citizen and have been resident in Ireland for the past 22 years. I will be starting an MSc at Kings College London in September 2016.

On some Websites, it says you must have been resident in the Eu for the past 3 years, and must be living in England on the 1st of September 2016.

On other websites, it mentions nothing about living in England on the 1st of September. Also, when I rang the student finance England postgrad loan helpline and enquired about this I was told so long as I am living in England for the duration of my masters I am eligible. So again, nothing mentioned about September 1st.

Would you mind clarifying this for me please? If I am not living in England by September 1st (but rather Mid-september) will I still be eligible?

Thank you!
Original post by gallagherorla
Hi, I'm a little confused about the residency eligibility for EU students. I am an Irish citizen and have been resident in Ireland for the past 22 years. I will be starting an MSc at Kings College London in September 2016.

On some Websites, it says you must have been resident in the Eu for the past 3 years, and must be living in England on the 1st of September 2016.

On other websites, it mentions nothing about living in England on the 1st of September. Also, when I rang the student finance England postgrad loan helpline and enquired about this I was told so long as I am living in England for the duration of my masters I am eligible. So again, nothing mentioned about September 1st.

Would you mind clarifying this for me please? If I am not living in England by September 1st (but rather Mid-september) will I still be eligible?

Thank you!

The 1st September date is a proxy used by SFE for "the start of your course"...they are trying to keep the guidance simple (given that masters courses start at all sorts of dates thgroughout the year) but that means sometimes the dates are a bit misleading.
Original post by PQ
The 1st September date is a proxy used by SFE for "the start of your course"...they are trying to keep the guidance simple (given that masters courses start at all sorts of dates thgroughout the year) but that means sometimes the dates are a bit misleading.

Thats good to know, thanks for letting me know.However, I am a bit worried now. I answered no to that question, and now I'm thinking maybe I shouldn't have, Do you think I should cancel my application and submit a new one and answer yes to this question, to indicate I will be in the UK for the beginning and duration of my course?

Quick Reply

Latest