The Student Room Group

How can I familiarise myself with the A-level content before September?

Hi, I've recently finished my GCSEs and I'd like to start looking at some A-level stuff to get a head start and take my mind off worries about GCSE results (since along with the rest of my year I pretty much revised the night before for every exam...)

Assuming I get the grades and don't change my mind, in September I'll be doing:
- Edexcel SNAB Biology
- AQA Chemistry
- AQA French
- Edexcel Maths

I don't want to go buying textbooks yet tbh. Are there any free resources I could have a look at over the next 2 months?

thanks!
Enjoy your summer.
Original post by edothero
Enjoy your summer.

oh I definitely will! I just want to do some work as well :smile:
Original post by icy_typhoon
oh I definitely will! I just want to do some work as well :smile:

No need, honestly.
YouTube videos may be a good start.

Don't spend your whole A Levels on this though. You really don't need to do that much but you can familiarise yourself with the specification. Just get a rough idea of how things are.
I would, I just don't want to spend any money until I'm confirmed to start these courses in September
Original post by Legendary Quest
YouTube videos may be a good start.

Don't spend your whole A Levels on this though. You really don't need to do that much but you can familiarise yourself with the specification. Just get a rough idea of how things are.

yeah, I just want to have a look-through~
I can only think that you have to at least be familiar with the content to look at the revision resources but can't think of anything other than downloading the textbooks online illegally. Well, this may help:

Chesmistry: https://chemrevise.org/revision-guides/

Maths: www.examsolutions.net/
They have some clips that explains certain stuff. Check your specification for more details.

Yes, I'm a useless bastard.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by mr.purplelambkin
I can only think that you have to at least be familiar with the content to look at the revision resources but can't think of anything other than downloading the textbooks online illegally. Well, this may help:

Chesmistry: https://chemrevise.org/revision-guides/

Maths: www.examsolutions.net/
They have some clips that explains certain stuff. Check your specification for more details.

Yes, I'm a useless bastard.

why's that? :biggrin:
thanks for the links, the chem one especially is really helpful!
Out of the subjects you've chose, I only do AQA Maths but taking a look at some of the past papers, Edexcel and AQA are practically the same.
There will most likely be three modules that you study for Maths, those being Core 1, Core 2 and Statistics 1 (or maybe Decision 1),
these are simply different parts of maths that contain certain topics, for example you would probably expect some kind of maths about probability in statistics.
If I remember correctly there is about 8 topics in each module and a quick search on one of the topic names will easily reveal most of the information you need to know for your exam board. (Just google '-insert module here- edexcel topics' )
For example, you may wish to know about Coordinate Geometry from Core 1, or you may want to look into Binomial Expansions from Core 2, or you may want to look into standard deviations in Statistics 1.
You know those people who say 'where will I ever actually use this?' well A level maths will show you where to use it, Differentiation will allow you to find the gradient at a single point on a curved graph where as integration will allow you to find the area underneath a graph, sounds pointless? Well when that graph shows you sales in a business and you want to see how fast it was rising on a particular day, or you want to find out how many sales you had made over the past year, you can use both of the methods described above.
What can I say? I'm a sucker for maths.

Quick Reply

Latest