The Student Room Group

Invoke Article 50 now!

At £350 million a week, it will cost the country £9 billion if we wait until the end of the year to invoke article 50, we should do it now and stop our money being wasted by unelected, corrupt Europeans.

Scroll to see replies

Agreed
Instead of going through the Article 50 stuff, why not just repeal the union act?
Ultimately I see no reason why Cameron should have to push the big red button. Let Gove or Johnson do it, they're the ones who lead us here.

He's resigning in October, so if they decide to wait an extra few months (or longer) that's an issue with the new "leave" government.
Ha ha very funny.

:colonhash:
Cameron has been clever. He has dodged the decision by resigning!
Reply 6
brb booking my one way ticket outta this shithole
Original post by Maker
At £350 million a week, it will cost the country £9 billion if we wait until the end of the year to invoke article 50, we should do it now and stop our money being wasted by unelected, corrupt Europeans.

Because they dont know what they want yet. It will be one of the biggest negotiations ever and if they get it wrong then the country will be screwed even more.

If you dont to negotiate, then just leave and see what a mess the UK will be in from borders, to trade to air traffic control. It would be utter chaos.

The person to invoke it should be the Brexit leader i.e Boris, Gove or Farage.
A semsible person wouldnt start negotiations until they know what they want, what they must have and what they will compromise on.

£9 billion would be small beer compared to the damage it would do to the economy.
Original post by MildredMalone
Instead of going through the Article 50 stuff, why not just repeal the union act?

Because that wouldnt be effective Aricle 50 is the correct way to leave. Unilaterally just repealing an act would amount to reneging on existing treay obligations, which its quite importnat in terms of international law.

If you just wnat to cut all ties, it means you will have left a whole raft of issues unresolved. If you wnat chaos and to really screw us over, then go wth it.

Presumably the UK wants prefeential trade agreements to be in place before it leaves orif not then you can simply be an outsider and be denied access to the single market. Not really very smart to crash the economy even further.
(edited 7 years ago)
Actually, invoking it quickly is what the EU wants. I think dragging out the process and trying to push for concessions while the UK is still in a better bargaining position may work out better.
Original post by Elivercury
Ultimately I see no reason why Cameron should have to push the big red button. Let Gove or Johnson do it, they're the ones who lead us here.

He's resigning in October, so if they decide to wait an extra few months (or longer) that's an issue with the new "leave" government.

I am sorry I have to correct you. Brexit was achieved because of the Leave Campaign, chief of this was the leadership of Nigel Farage. Of course, Boris, Gove (who will go down as the worst education minister in the history of the UK), Theresa May (who thinks she can be the next Thachter? Well I hope she's joking) and the rest of the clique will not say so but deep down in their hearts, they know the truth.

Speaking of Nigel, he spoke this morning in the European Parliament and his video has reached 3.3 million views on his facebook page. Do you honestly think Boris and the rest of the clique can garner such a following? Precisely :h:

[video="youtube;Y1ewRNSfyiI"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y1ewRNSfyiI[/video]
Original post by Audrey18
I am sorry I have to correct you. Brexit was achieved because of the Leave Campaign, chief of this was the leadership of Nigel Farage. Of course, Boris, Gove (who will go down as the worst education minister in the history of the UK), Theresa May (who thinks she can be the next Thachter? Well I hope she's joking) and the rest of the clique will not say so but deep down in their hearts, they know the truth.

Speaking of Nigel, he spoke this morning in the European Parliament and his video has reached 3.3 million views on his facebook page. Do you honestly think Boris and the rest of the clique can garner such a following? Precisely :h:

[video="youtube;Y1ewRNSfyiI"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y1ewRNSfyiI[/video]

most people who watched it just laughed at him dear :lol:*

You're not correcting me. Nigel Farage was not head of the leave campaign, they actually wanted nothing to do with him. He is also not a conservative MP, who unless you didn't notice are the party in power. I will agree he was a leading voice for leave, using his own party, however he was not part of the official campaign and is not a Tory (he isn't even an MP) so he can't be involved.

Ergo, it's probably a choice of Boris, Gove or May.

I fully agree it's a rotten collection of prats, but hey, you voted for them. No reason Cameron should have their crap attached to him.
I am sorry I have to correct you. Brexit was achieved because of the Leave Campaign, chief of this was the leadership of Nigel Farage.]

Funny, how he won't take ownership of any of the promises though.
Reply 14

And Boris Johnson, Gove and the rest are still hiding
Original post by TheLittlestElf
most people who watched it just laughed at him dear :lol:*
I've said this before and I'll say this again. There are many international students here whom I've chatted with who adore Farage, agree with what he has said so far and wish they had him or someone like him as their Prime Minister. It's really a pity that you don't see it. Farage will never be the PM that UK rightly deserves. Instead you will see clowns like Boris, Gove and Theresa May vying for the top seat.

Original post by Elivercury

You're not correcting me. Nigel Farage was not head of the leave campaign, they actually wanted nothing to do with him. He is also not a conservative MP, who unless you didn't notice are the party in power. I will agree he was a leading voice for leave, using his own party, however he was not part of the official campaign and is not a Tory (he isn't even an MP) so he can't be involved.

Spoiler

Yes Nigel's group did not get the official designate status but you have gotta be joking if you think people voted for Brexit because of Boris and the Vote Leave. These clowns did not do anything.

Boris is clueless. We must not make the mistake of conflating our fondness for him with whether he has the ability to be the PM. He has never worked a day in the real world. His only 1 ½ achievements are Boris Bikes and taking the credit for the London Olympics when it should have been accorded to Ken Livingstone and Ken Livingstone alone.

The problem in UK when it comes to politics is that people vote according to party affiliations. If your great grandpa was Labour, so too would your grandpa, your dad and yourself. In the past, politicians did real work for the people. After Thatcher was ousted, several politicians were in it for themselves. As long as they can claim fraudulent expenses, buy multiple homes, send their children to tops UK and US unis, then only are they contented. The welfare of the people is the least of their concern.

If you have diligently watched the telecasts of the hustings period during the campaign, Boris spoke loads of gibberish (which is normal of him) and the only time he said anything comprehensible was when he said that UK must adopt a migration policy akin to the Australian point based system etc. These were never his points or that of the official designate Leave campaign. All he did was to use what Farage said without citing him as the source.

Brexit was achieved because of the Leave Campaign. Boris, Gove and the rest of their clique knows this. But they are far too thick-skinned to even accept it for what it is. They have taken credit for the achievement and textbook writers will be paying homage to them in future editions of law and political textbooks.

Original post by DorianGrayism
Funny, how he won't take ownership of any of the promises though.

Original post by Jee1
And Boris Johnson, Gove and the rest are still hiding

Nigel's job was to heap loads of pressure on Cameron to get the PM to agree on giving the British people a referendum. Vote Leave was chosen to be the official designate group instead of Leave Campaign. Why this is so, I do not know. So it's up to Boris and his clique to decide on what to do. But I have no faith in either of them.

I know there are many people here who're mesmerized by Jacob Rees-Mogg, Boris, Gove etc but as I've mentioned in the past, these guys will never last a day in the real world, holding down real jobs.

And lest you forget, we still have the Chilcot Report to be released. That itself has to go down in British history as the longest and most expensive inquiry. Shocking!

1) You need to correct yourself - Most of the leave campaign wanted nothing to do with Farage but they had no choice.
2) He actually embarrassed himself and to be honest just embarrassed the country on a whole new level, you could see that other MEPs were bursting in tears from laughing at his ridiculous comments
3) If you genuinely think 3.3 million people watched this because they like Farage then you have been led up the garden path, i bet half watched it to laugh, how can he even be taken seriously.
Reply 17

This guy is a ****ing legend

Yes Nigel's group did not get the official designate status but you have gotta be joking if you think people voted for Brexit because of Boris and the Vote Leave. These clowns did not do anything.

Boris is clueless. We must not make the mistake of conflating our fondness for him with whether he has the ability to be the PM. He has never worked a day in the real world. His only 1 ½ achievements are Boris Bikes and taking the credit for the London Olympics when it should have been accorded to Ken Livingstone and Ken Livingstone alone.

The problem in UK when it comes to politics is that people vote according to party affiliations. If your great grandpa was Labour, so too would your grandpa, your dad and yourself. In the past, politicians did real work for the people. After Thatcher was ousted, several politicians were in it for themselves. As long as they can claim fraudulent expenses, buy multiple homes, send their children to tops UK and US unis, then only are they contented. The welfare of the people is the least of their concern.

If you have diligently watched the telecasts of the hustings period during the campaign, Boris spoke loads of gibberish (which is normal of him) and the only time he said anything comprehensible was when he said that UK must adopt a migration policy akin to the Australian point based system etc. These were never his points or that of the official designate Leave campaign. All he did was to use what Farage said without citing him as the source.

Brexit was achieved because of the Leave Campaign. Boris, Gove and the rest of their clique knows this. But they are far too thick-skinned to even accept it for what it is. They have taken credit for the achievement and textbook writers will be paying homage to them in future editions of law and political textbooks.

I'm not disagreeing. But he isn't part of the party in power and therefore will never have a position.

Also, he's not even competent enough to get elected as an MP, so I doubt he'd make a decent PM!

Ultimately it is the party in power (who lead the "official leave campaign") who will take the country forward (or backwards). It's as simple as that.
Who else likes rolling around in a carrot costume ?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending