The Student Room Group

CAN I DO IT? (turn pro) football

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by champ_mc99
Not really but you might not get big famous and rich and all.

why is that ? not famous rich!!!
Original post by robin567
I am a 17 yr old player and i have ambitions and hope of being scouted by a major premier league club,i honestly think that i am capable as people who have seen me play football constantly compare me with Messi .I undersand that scouts could have picked me a long time ago but i never went outside and showcased my ability infront of them. Is it to late for me to accomplish this goal ....... if Yes how could i get scouts to see me play?
BY THE WAY I JUST TURNED 17 !

You have better chances of getting 4 A* at A level with 1,1,1 in STEP 1,2,3 respectively and getting into Cambridge for Natural science than going Pro in football. <---- Truth!

Reply 42
Original post by XxKingSniprxX
You have better chances of getting 4 A* at A level with 1,1,1 in STEP 1,2,3 respectively and getting into Cambridge for Natural science than going Pro in football. <---- Truth!

why is that .. lol no one is giving me a reason to why this cant be achieved .You all are all claiming i cant but the Question is WHYYYYYYYYYYY
Reply 43
why is that .. lol no one is giving me a reason to why this cant be achieved .You all are all claiming i cant but the Question is WHYYYYYYYYYYY

answers
It's never too late.
Reply 45
Original post by ICEN_Prophet
It's never too late.

thank you finally everyone where demotivating me but thanks

Didier Drogba signed his first pro contract when he was 21.
Van Nisterlooy was 19
Ian Wright was 22! Regardless some scouts turning him down he still made it!
You're still young.
Even the world cup top scorer (Klose) started his career at 21.
its true im serious

I'm pretty sure that you, an unproven 17 year old, is not as good as arguably the greatest player of all time and if you say otherwise then it is very evident that you are just trolling.
Reply 48
Original post by Samii123
I'm pretty sure that you, an unproven 17 year old, is not as good as arguably the greatest player of all time and if you say otherwise then it is very evident that you are just trolling.

unproven 17 yr old? what do you mean by that
Reply 49
Original post by ICEN_Prophet
Didier Drogba signed his first pro contract when he was 21.
Van Nisterlooy was 19
Ian Wright was 22! Regardless some scouts turning him down he still made it!
You're still young.
Even the world cup top scorer (Klose) started his career at 21.

thanks once again with the confidence you re giving me much appreciated
unproven 17 yr old? what do you mean by that

As in, you haven't proven your class by being able to perform at a professional level in the highest leagues in the world against the best players in the world. Regardless, I think you should carry on with your dream of turning pro if you believe you can do it but just make sure you have a good backup plan in case things don't go as you expect them to.
Reply 51
As in, you haven't proven your class by being able to perform at a professional level in the highest leagues in the world against the best players in the world. Regardless, I think you should carry on with your dream of turning pro if you believe you can do it but just make sure you have a good backup plan in case things don't go as you expect them to.

Hahaha i sure will have a back up thanks for the advice !!!
Hahaha i sure will have a back up thanks for the advice !!!

You're welcome. Btw are you English? If you are and if you turn pro please make sure we never lose to Iceland again!
Reply 53
You're welcome. Btw are you English? If you are and if you turn pro please make sure we never lose to Iceland again!

YESS i am and ill make sure we will win at least 3 world cups !!! your welcome
Reply 54
Being completely honest the chances in you being picked up are really small but there are chances.

There are a few places offering scouting days, some are to go to college/university in the USA some in this country.
Reply 55
Original post by joecphillips
Being completely honest the chances in you being picked up are really small but there are chances.

There are a few places offering scouting days, some are to go to college/university in the USA some in this country.

ok

Don't be disheartened. The thing you have to remember is that there are millions of wannabe footballers in the country, but only about 3000 players in the top 5 leagues of English football. Your chances of becoming on of those are really really small.

There are upsides of quitting. Have a listen to this podcast which mentions why continuing to reach goals you will never achieve is sometimes a good thing

http://freakonomics.com/podcast/new-freakonomics-radio-podcast-the-upside-of-quitting/

Spoiler

Reply 57
Original post by ByEeek
Don't be disheartened. The thing you have to remember is that there are millions of wannabe footballers in the country, but only about 3000 players in the top 5 leagues of English football. Your chances of becoming on of those are really really small.

There are upsides of quitting. Have a listen to this podcast which mentions why continuing to reach goals you will never achieve is sometimes a good thing

http://freakonomics.com/podcast/new-freakonomics-radio-podcast-the-upside-of-quitting/

Spoiler

thanks why is a good thing?
thanks why is a good thing?

Because quitting now means you can focus on something more achievable. The simple truth is that most professional footballers were spotted when they were 5 or 6 and will have done more or less nothing else since that time. If you are starting your journey aged 17, it is way too late. There is also a general consensus that to become the best at something, you need to put in 10,000 hours of practice. If you put in over an hour a day, that is only 400 hours a year. You do the maths. Have you put in that much practice?
Reply 59
Original post by ByEeek
Because quitting now means you can focus on something more achievable. The simple truth is that most professional footballers were spotted when they were 5 or 6 and will have done more or less nothing else since that time. If you are starting your journey aged 17, it is way too late. There is also a general consensus that to become the best at something, you need to put in 10,000 hours of practice. If you put in over an hour a day, that is only 400 hours a year. You do the maths. Have you put in that much practice?

well i dont have a chance?

Quick Reply

Latest