The Student Room Group

How to deal with people looking down on me graduating at 27?

So I was at a party yesterday and this slightly older lady (of around 4 years my senior) asked me what I was doing and I replied I'm just graduating, she said, what your younger sister is already in work and your 27 not yet in a job.

I thought what's wrong with that and one-two of here female cousins started smirking.

I'm graduating in Computing with Maths (4 years degree) and I could even land a 30k graduate role. Who knows 3 years down the line I could be in contract jobs earning £40k a year with a mortgage (I've seen this happen to one of my cousins).

I don't understand why graduating with a good degree makes them laugh at 27, considering there are well paid careers in the computing field.

Scroll to see replies

I'm totally ****ed then since I'm starting a CompSci degree at 27 this September.:smile:

Seriously I wouldn't worry about it. You've got 40 years of work ahead so it's nothing in the grand scheme of things.
Reply 2
Thank you for your kind words. :smile:

I wish you good luck for your journey. Look at this thread, this will help you a lot with gaining programming employment, internships: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4072475
Original post by Anonymous
So I was at a party yesterday and this slightly older lady (of around 4 years my senior) asked me what I was doing and I replied I'm just graduating, she said, what your younger sister is already in work and your 27 not yet in a job.

I thought what's wrong with that and one-two of here female cousins started smirking.

I'm graduating in Computing with Maths (4 years degree) and I could even land a 30k graduate role. Who knows 3 years down the line I could be in contract jobs earning £40k a year with a mortgage (I've seen this happen to one of my cousins).

I don't understand why graduating with a good degree makes them laugh at 27, considering there are well paid careers in the computing field.

I graduated at 31 - so don't take any notice of this silly woman. You are doing the most fantastic degree - and yeah you will be earning loads of money soon.*
Who the hell cares about people who look down at you?!
It's amazing one you stuck at it and persevered, two- you'll be earning quite a bit hopefully!
Honestly you need to block off people like that.
I will be graduating as a 28 year old. I don't see anything wrong with this AT ALL!
You are bettering yourself and putting yourself out there. Anyone who judges you for this is being silly!
Take the mocking on the chin, you'll have the last laugh when you're earning double their salary thanks to your degree!!
There is nothing wrong at graduating at 28! There's people on my uni course who are aged 28 and over :smile: so there's nothing to worry about, all I can say is you're bettering your life and you'll have the last laugh. This woman sounds like a right idiot!

Posted from TSR Mobile

My mum is graduating at 52, nearly twice your age. It's not a big deal tbh

Posted from TSR Mobile
Don't listen to anyone who looks down at you. You're never too old for an education :smile:
Posted from TSR Mobile

What a stupid woman.There no age limit to when you can do a degree.
She's just one silly woman. Most people honestly wouldn't care about your age. I'll be graduating next year with a 50 year old woman on my course and nobody looks down on her.

Your mistake is in paying them any attention or giving their ignorance any credence. She is immature. You are old enough to know better.
Stand on a chair.

Spoiler

I started a 6 year degree at the age of 21, just finished my first year. But a few years after graduation with a secure, well paying job that I love I will be the one who is laughing

The only person in the whole world who's opinion should matter to you is your bank manager's.

The more money you have in your bank account, the better an opinion your bank manager will have of you.

Now let's go out there and make our bank managers happy as hell :smile:
So I was at a party yesterday and this slightly older lady (of around 4 years my senior) asked me what I was doing and I replied I'm just graduating, she said, what your younger sister is already in work and you're 27 not yet in a job.

What a ***** :mad:
Everyone's life is on a different track and cannot be compared to others.

Your life is your business.
You know the experiences you have, they don't.
No one else's opinion matters
I wouldn't keep in touch with such judgemental people if I were you.
(edited 7 years ago)
Why does it matter? You're educating yourself. It doesn't matter what age you do it at, ignore the idiots and be proud.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 17
Does she have a degree? Im sure she feels inferior and has to find ways to knock other people down so she can feel good about herself.

Congrats on graduating!
I graduated in my late twenties, but I had a career prior to university. Never been thrown any shade personally over this.
Reply 19
Original post by Han-
Does she have a degree? Im sure she feels inferior and has to find ways to knock other people down so she can feel good about herself.

Congrats on graduating!

This lol, is she your relative? Throw her shade. :colone:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending