The Student Room Group

People who supported Brexit - do you feel conned?

Scroll to see replies

What is the EU?
Reply 201
And things like this make me even happier that I voted to leave.

https://twitter.com/GrantTucker/status/747789208941694976
Reply 202
Original post by TercioOfParma
Long term? Well that depends entirely on the FTAs that come from other major nations, on the politicians we elect over that 30 year time period, and hundreds of other variables.

So Britain's future is entirely in the hands of foreigners who may or may not do as a trade deal. Thats getting back our sovereignty and no mistake.
i voted in the hope of forming a bond to the US so that my business would work better
Reply 204
Original post by Maker
So Britain's future is entirely in the hands of foreigners who may or may not do as a trade deal. Thats getting back our sovereignty and no mistake.

Lol. America, Canada, Ghana, Brazil, Switzerland, Iceland, Australia, New Zealand, South Korea among others have already came out and spoke about prioritising and having close trading relations with a post Brexit Britain.
Original post by Samiz
Ah, the great EU, working with other countries. I don't want to be part of a political union, that in the first place imposes measures such as tampon tax, and has to be convinced to get rid of it.

They didn't impose it.

We agreed to it when we joined ( Your Grandma voted for it).

It has nothing to do with being in a Political Union either. Obviously, being in a Single Market requires some harmonization of Value added tax on goods.
Angryredhead, TercioofParma and the dude with the numbers in his name hit the nail on the head, I don't care what conversations evolve throughout the thread either.
Reply 208
Original post by Samiz
Lol. America, Canada, Ghana, Brazil, Switzerland, Iceland, Australia, New Zealand, South Korea among others have already came out and spoke about prioritising and having close trading relations with a post Brexit Britain.

I'm sure they are, the real issue is how good are the deals on offer, not whether they want to do deals.

I am sure Iceland would love to sell us as much fish as they can, but how is that going to affect British fisherman with cheap fish flooding the UK pricing them out of business?
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 209
The remarkable thing is that the leave campaign didn't have a carefully prepared script to seize the imitative in a positive way post victory. And it's left to Farage to 'represent Britain' in a typically crass way in Brussels today. All not helped by the fact that the typical leave voter is a narrow minded racist. A right mess.
Reply 210
Original post by Zarek
the typical leave voter is a narrow minded racist..

Yawn. This bigotry annoys me at first, but then I realize it's this type of comment that helped leave to win. So thanks!
Not at all. The victory is made all the more meaningful because of the government-led propaganda campaign, allowing Obama to interfere with the process, the coercive Remain leaflets persuading me to vote Remain, placing Youtube Remain adverts, the vulgar political exploitation of the untimely death of MP Jo Cox, etc.

My only hope is that people recognise we live in a democracy and that means respecting the will of the clear majority vote. They tried to coerce me to vote against my conscience but failed to realise media manipulation and political correctness doesn't silence everyone! Cameron is responsible for gross abuse of his democratic office. We are supposed to be living in a democracy but that has been eroded gradually but surely for decades now due to the authoritarian Left controlling the narrative. Well times are a changing. It's a big win for democracy. The EU will collapse because it's rotten with corruption. It's elite have far too much power and it is anti-democratic. But you can be sure that they will not go down without fighting all the way to hold on to power and they will have the support of those Remain supporters who don't care about democratic process when it doesn't go their way.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Samiz
Yawn. This bigotry annoys me at first, but then I realize it's this type of comment that helped leave to win. So thanks!

Yes, the patronising, sneering, self-righteous authoritarian Left unashamedly stereo-typing Leave voters. Such undisguised bigotry with comments like, 'the Northern working class people who were too stupid to know what they were voting for' and 'it's the fault of those insular little Englanders' and so on. Well the everyday, marginalised, silenced majority finally had their opportunity to voice their opinion in the referendum and they roared!
Original post by XcitingStuart
Both sides partook in deception and ignorance; the information was there for people who looked for it, and the information showed we'd clearly be better off out of the EU.

It was your side, the remain camp, which advocated passing off economic predictions as blind fact, at face value.

**cough cough ring leader Sadiq Khan**

You have no one to blame for that but yourselves.

Hypocrite.

Sent from my Bush Spira B2 5 Smartphone using Tapatalk

That's actually very true. I completely agree. I guess this is a wake up call to many people, instead we should always do our own research before taking what we hear or believe as fact.
Original post by Samiz
No. Remainers, do you feel conned that:

1. The 3,000,000 job losses was found out to be a lie
2. The families being £4,300 worse off was found out to be a lie
3. The emergency budget turned in to a lie (and was criticised by Lord King today as being the nadir of the campaign)

No?

There were lies on both sides.

Here's more on that budget you ordered:*http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-eu-referendum-36647006
Original post by MagicNMedicine
I voted Leave, and I didn't do it on the basis of any of the spurious claims coming out of the campaign, £350m for the NHS, Turkey joining EU etc.

However I am concerned at the way things are progressing.

My main disappointment is the complete lack of leadership and plan amongst the leaders of the Leave movement. The nagging feeling I have is that Leave didn't expect to win and hadn't prepared for this moment. They probably saw it as the next step in a long struggle to getting out of the EU.

I think Farage did not care, leaving the EU is his life's work. Everything else, including the economic prosperity of the country was secondary to that.

For Boris this was purely a device to favour his own ambitions.

For most of the rest, this was a faction fight in the Conservative Party-wets and dries, Blairites and Brownities, appeasers and re-armers etc etc. I don't think they expected to lose, I think it is just that they thought the business of government would carry on whilst they squabbled.

They have also tied themselves in knots by harnessing the anti-immigration movement in order to get the votes they needed to get over the line, and are now realising that those voters expect being able to control immigration as a red line in negotiations, but they know the EU won't budge an inch on free movement and they have a list of the business community / donors who they have to satisfy with single market access, passport for services which will be difficult to achieve anyway but almost certainly will involve free movement.

Whilst Remain can legitimately be criticised for failing to get over the inherent contradictions in the Leave position, Leave knew they were lying to the public.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 216
Original post by nulli tertius
I think Farage did not care, leaving the EU is his life's work. Everything else, including the economic prosperity of the country was secondary to that.

For Boris this was purely a device to favour his own ambitions.

For most of the rest, this was a faction fight in the Conservative Party

While Farage is obviously an egomaniac I don't believe this has been wholly or even mostly a vanity project for him. He has been pursuing it for decades in the backwaters of politics with enornous vigour and with absolutely no guarantee of success when he could have been guaranteed top earnings elsewhere. He cannot be that entranced by his own ambitions alone.

I suspect this has been an opportunistic move by Boris but I have yet to understand why. Remain were alwayd probably going to win and people were always going to say that doing what he has done was opportunistic, neither of which clearly benefits his position.

I am not sure what you mean by the last sentence.
Original post by Kryptonian
...hence why most Leave voters generally have had a poorer education than Remain voters. A lot of Leave voters aren't 'reasonably intelligent' as you say since they don't / did not realise that fundamental point.

Ha. Well I go further. As far as I'm concerned anyone who wants another 350 million a week to be spent on the NHS or even just 10 billion a year ,is an idiot anyway.

Albeit a well meaning one.

:smile:
I'm very happy that I voted leave :smile:
We absolutely must not join the EEC. Brexit was won on immigration and to allow free movement between us and the EU would mean we are effectively still in the EU but with no say. That's worse than staying in the EU.

The UK is big enough to not be bullied by the EU. I mean you don't see the EU forcing the US to allow free immigration in return for the trade deal it is working on so why us?

I don't feel betrayed by the leave campaign as I made my decision years ago. I voted Brexit for democracy. It was the rules against deportation of terrorists that first turned me off the EU and then it became more and more apparent that we are being ruled by a technocratic government in Brussels.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending