The Student Room Group

People who supported Brexit - do you feel conned?

Scroll to see replies

I supported Brexit and I do not feel conned at all. I knew what I would be getting.

You must really think we're stupid if you thought that we thought that £350 million a week would all suddenly go to the NHS. Nope, of course not. What was actually said was that that money COULD go to the UK, for things LIKE the NHS, and that is true.

Notice how it's all the remain supporters who are getting mad about it, not the leavers. That's because we never expected that in the first place. We knew it was a fib.

You underestimate us.
Reply 221
Original post by Sephiroth
We absolutely must not join the EEC. Brexit was won on immigration and to allow free movement between us and the EU would mean we are effectively still in the EU but with no say. That's worse than staying in the EU.

The UK is big enough to not be bullied by the EU. I mean you don't see the EU forcing the US to allow free immigration in return for the trade deal it is working on so why us?

I don't feel betrayed by the leave campaign as I made my decision years ago. I voted Brexit for democracy. It was the rules against deportation of terrorists that first turned me off the EU and then it became more and more apparent that we are being ruled by a technocratic government in Brussels.

You are going to get screwed. No UK government will stop freedom of movement if it damages the economy.

No political party cares enough about poor, uneducated marginally productive people to alienate big businesses that pay a lot of tax and employ a lot of people.

Even if UKIP gets into power and stops Freedom of Movement, the fall out from businesses that leave the UK and cause massive unemployment and huge dedt would mean the government will be deposed double quick.
Reply 222
Original post by Abstract_Prism
I supported Brexit and I do not feel conned at all. I knew what I would be getting.

You must really think we're stupid if you thought that we thought that £350 million a week would all suddenly go to the NHS. Nope, of course not. What was actually said was that that money COULD go to the UK, for things LIKE the NHS, and that is true.

Notice how it's all the remain supporters who are getting mad about it, not the leavers. That's because we never expected that in the first place. We knew it was a fib.

You underestimate us.

Sounds more like you don't want to admit you were made a fool of by claiming it was never true in the first place.
Original post by Maker
Sounds more like you don't want to admit you were made a fool of by claiming it was never true in the first place.

Are you serious?

Come on, we're people, not sheep. My opinion wasn't formed by the leave campaign throwing around such a tiny figure as £350 million.
Original post by Fenice
While Farage is obviously an egomaniac I don't believe this has been wholly or even mostly a vanity project for him. He has been pursuing it for decades in the backwaters of politics with enornous vigour and with absolutely no guarantee of success when he could have been guaranteed top earnings elsewhere. He cannot be that entranced by his own ambitions alone.

It isn't a vanity project, it is monomania.It is a cause that has totally absorbed him to the point where he has lost rationality on the subject. Jimmy Carter once described the single issue campaigner as the greatest threat to American democracy. There are no checks and no balances on their views. Everything must be subordinated to their issue.

I suspect this has been an opportunistic move by Boris but I have yet to understand why. Remain were alwayd probably going to win and people were always going to say that doing what he has done was opportunistic, neither of which clearly benefits his position.

Because he perceived that heroic defeat on this issue would boost his chances of becoming PM. Dunkirk spirit, rats of Tobruk, the Somme, Rorke's Drift, Wolfe and Nelson dying at their moments of victory. We feel more comfortable with them than with great triumphs being celebrated.

I am not sure what you mean by the last sentence.

Leave knew that the principal image/slogan of the campaign, the £350M a week for the NHS was wholly misleading. Leave also knew that remaining in the single market with meaningful restrictions on migration was unachievable. Exaggeration of the effects of Brexit by the Remain campaign cannot excuse this.

Johnson will betray the millions who voted Leave in the hope that this will curb immigration and I will support him in that betrayal because I believe it will be in the UK national interest. But I will recognise that it is a betrayal.

Make no mistake this Leave vote was about numbers of immigrants. It wasn't that way for most of the Leavers on TSR; they are a minority of a minority, young people engaged in politics who supported Leave.

It wasn't about sovereignty, though many parroted that it was. Most of the Leave voters didn't have the intellectual firepower to have handled such an abstract concept (and that isn't mainly a matter of intelligence, they had not been trained to handle abstract concepts). That would have been clear if follow-up questions had been asked. The admission of East Europeans without restriction in 2004-9 was an exercise of national sovereignty by a democratically elected government with a thumping majority. Only Sweden, Ireland and ourselves did this. How many of those who said this was not about immigration but was about sovereignty were comfortable with that decision?

It wasn't about cultural change. How many of these Leave voters supported the rent-a-trots campaigning against gentrification in parts of London or the tribal segregation of Belfast?

It wasn't about an Australian points system because if you had asked these Leave supporters if they would have been happy about increasing immigration to Australian proportions they would have said "no" (incidentally both the last Labour government and the Coalition introduced what they called Australian points systems but were nothing of the sort because the consequences of an Australian points system would be a politically unacceptable increase in migrants)

It wasn't about wanting only skilled migrants because the jobs Leavers wanted their kids to have, engineering apprenticeships etc are the jobs that would disappear by importing skilled migrants from abroad. No one was complaining about their kids being deprived of the right to dig spuds.

It was in part about services because that is a function of numbers particularly considering that individually migrants were using a below average amount of services
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 225
Are you serious?

Come on, we're people, not sheep. My opinion wasn't formed by the leave campaign throwing around such a tiny figure as £350 million.

Fact is, your were conned.

We now have higher inflation, less job security, poorer and immigration will be unchanged unless we want to be even poorer.
(edited 7 years ago)
We absolutely must not join the EEC. Brexit was won on immigration and to allow free movement between us and the EU would mean we are effectively still in the EU but with no say. That's worse than staying in the EU.

The UK is big enough to not be bullied by the EU. I mean you don't see the EU forcing the US to allow free immigration in return for the trade deal it is working on so why us?

I don't feel betrayed by the leave campaign as I made my decision years ago. I voted Brexit for democracy. It was the rules against deportation of terrorists that first turned me off the EU and then it became more and more apparent that we are being ruled by a technocratic government in Brussels.

"We absolutely must not join the EEC " Well, you just implied that you know more than 99% of the economists around the world.
1. hahahahahahahahaha. Guys don't fall for the bait on this one
2. Inevitable
3. The majority of the people the people who voted leave do. Anecdotes don't matter.

Very stupid argument from you. Not surprised though,

We absolutely must not join the EEC

Why should we trust your opinion over not only nearly every economist in the UK, but nearly economist around the world?

g.

You must really think we're stupid if you thought that we thought that £350 million a week would all suddenly go to the NHS.

You guys are the stupid ones. The vast majority of leavers actually believed it. And even if they didn't, it doesn't change the fact that it was a very clear lie by the leave campaign in order to win votes. Great movement you guys have there.
(edited 7 years ago)
Brexiters on TSR aren't the sheep who voted leave because "they miss the old days" or or can't get a job and thus blame immigrants.
ye bruv i got 2 admit um feelin' a let down

mr farage nigel told me wen he cam 2 me town all de immigrunts would be gun

but they r still hear???????????

reli confused by all dis.... also wat is da EU????

bloody immigrunts takin' me jobs, NHS, benefits

least da government r doin' well and stable
Original post by Lawliettt
1. hahahahahahahahaha. Guys don't fall for the bait on this one
2. Inevitable
3. The majority of the people the people who voted leave do. Anecdotes don't matter.

Very stupid argument from you. Not surprised though,

Why should we trust your opinion over not only nearly every economist in the UK, but nearly economist around the world?

You guys are the stupid ones. The vast majority of leavers actually believed it. And even if they didn't, it doesn't change the fact that it was a very clear lie by the leave campaign in order to win votes. Great movement you guys have there.

You are clearly :troll:ing here aren't you? My reply was not neant to be an "arguement" because the OP is asking for personal opinions. Reading comprehension not even once
Original post by Ladymusiclover
Brexiters on TSR aren't the sheep who voted leave because "they miss the old days" or or can't get a job and thus blame immigrants.

you would be surprised.*
[video="youtube;-a6HNXtdvVQ"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-a6HNXtdvVQ[/video]
Original post by DorianGrayism
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4036781

I believe Post 11 is yours

" OP, some people are incapable of doing anything that isn't menial work. They see these jobs being taken from them by similar people coming en masse from other countries, they get angry. It's not that hard to understand.

My grievance with immigration is more cultural myself anyway"

No. I said that the situation remains the same. The EU will continue to make laws that affect our employment rights, immigration rights and etc.

I wasn't stupid enough to claim that we didn't have control in the first place.

Perhaps some clarification is required. Immigration didn't decide my vote, I knew it wouldn't have any impact. However, I do have grievance with the cultural issues of immigration.

Also, we weren't in control in the first place, I have already pointed that out. Now we have got more control, have we not?
Original post by DorianGrayism
Which is basically everything apart from CAP and CFP AKA Most EU regulation.

Doesn't mean that some laws will emerge later on that we cannot deal with.
Well 2 of your personal opinions were objectively wrong.

You're one to talk about reading comprehension. You couldn't even properly read your own campaigns advertisements. "£350mil to the NHS" was heavily pushed by the leave campaign. You look a bit daft now
Original post by Maker
So Britain's future is entirely in the hands of foreigners who may or may not do as a trade deal. Thats getting back our sovereignty and no mistake.

So, the future won't at all be influenced by the choice between boris johnson and theresa may? So the choice in Weimar Germany between Hilter and Thaellman made absolutely no difference?
[video="youtube;-a6HNXtdvVQ"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=229&v=-a6HNXtdvVQ[/video]
Original post by HucktheForde
[video="youtube;-a6HNXtdvVQ"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=229&v=-a6HNXtdvVQ[/video]

:rofl:

That one's really good!
Original post by InnerTemple
Five days after the referendum, and the Brexit case is already unravelling. Boris, the man most likely to be key to building our new relationship seems keen to replace the EU with the EU.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-eu-referendum-36641390 - curtesy of *Cherry82

The blunders of Boris Johnson really do sum up the whole thing. In line with what many brainwashed Brexit supporters were saying, Johnson went on about an agreement being struck quite quickly. We'd have informal chats - the EU would be begging for us to work with them. Then Boris told us that the German business group, the BDI, were all for the UK getting a special deal. He then reassured us that the Pound was stabilising.

All those things were untrue, and by Monday lunchtime, the wall of lies was falling to pieces:

£350m (apparently) spent on the EU would be directed to the NHS... nope, that was a mistake.

Britain will be free from the EU and regain 'sovereignty'... nope, that's not the case.

Leaving the EU will lead to immigration falling... oops, another mistake!

So, if you supported Brexit, how do you feel? Things like cost, immigration and sovereignty were central to the campaign - and it seems that your beloved leaders are ready to turn their backs on these areas.

No. I voted leave because I didn't want to become part of a United States of Europe. And now plans for an EU superstate are taking form, I'm glad that England will not be a part of it.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3662827/Has-Britain-avoided-European-superstate-France-Germany-draw-plans-morph-EU-countries-one-control-members-armies-economies.html

Quick Reply

Latest