The Student Room Group

PGCE Preparation - Assignments and Grading

Hi :smile: I will be starting a PGCE in SEN teacher training in September.

So basically.. I'm trying to become as well-informed and prepared for my course as possible, and I was wondering whether anyone could answer a couple of questions for me.

Firstly, how is the PGCE graded? Can I find a mark scheme online? I have a basic idea but I'm not totally sure.

Secondly, what are the assignments like? E.g. format, question styles, length etc.

Thanks in advance!
Reply 1
It is up to the the individual course providers to decide how they want to run their course so PGCEs do not follow a set structure. Typically, they are not graded. You either pass or fail. You are likely to be graded following each placement, though. At my university, we were graded from 1-5 against each teaching standard and needed to have achieved 3s with some 2s during the final placement in order to pass the course. I know some other course providers assign Ofsted-style grades like 'outstanding', 'good' and 'requires improvement' instead. At the end of the course, your course provider might then use these grades to assign you a final grade, which gives you an indication of how well you did overall. This grade is very unlikely to appear on your certificate and, in my experience, schools are not particularly interested in these grades either, so generally they really are just provided for your own benefit.

Assignments will differ greatly between courses. At my university, we had two formal 5,000 word assignments due in on the first day back after Christmas and Easter. The first was based on observations we made of specific children during the first placement, the second was a report based on investigations we conducted during the second placement i.e. implementing some sort of change in the classroom to see if it improves an element of teaching. Your assignments may or may not involve similar things, but as your PGCE has a SEN focus, they certainly will be more heavily focused on SEN than mine were.
Reply 2
Original post by Pierson
It is up to the the individual course providers to decide how they want to run their course so PGCEs do not follow a set structure. Typically, they are not graded. You either pass or fail. You are likely to be graded following each placement, though. At my university, we were graded from 1-5 against each teaching standard and needed to have achieved 3s with some 2s during the final placement in order to pass the course. I know some other course providers assign Ofsted-style grades like 'outstanding', 'good' and 'requires improvement' instead. At the end of the course, your course provider might then use these grades to assign you a final grade, which gives you an indication of how well you did overall. This grade is very unlikely to appear on your certificate and, in my experience, schools are not particularly interested in these grades either, so generally they really are just provided for your own benefit.

Assignments will differ greatly between courses. At my university, we had two formal 5,000 word assignments due in on the first day back after Christmas and Easter. The first was based on observations we made of specific children during the first placement, the second was a report based on investigations we conducted during the second placement i.e. implementing some sort of change in the classroom to see if it improves an element of teaching. Your assignments may or may not involve similar things, but as your PGCE has a SEN focus, they certainly will be more heavily focused on SEN than mine were.

Thank you so much for your reply! Very useful and informative, I am extremely grateful.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending