The Student Room Group

Do universities look at your Year 7-11 achievements?

Hello! This is my first post here and I'm a little confused over how this site works so appologies if there are any mistakes!

I would like to ask if universities, particularly top universities such as Oxbridge, look at Year 7-11 achievements. As I am moving from my current school to a new school (I just finished my O levels), I was wondering if my achievements in this school would be significant. Would they take into consideration my achievements here or would the board more like look at my achievements in my 6th Form?

Thank you in advance for all replies!
Hey they look at your GCSEs and get references that's all.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by infiinitee_
Hello! This is my first post here and I'm a little confused over how this site works so appologies if there are any mistakes!

I would like to ask if universities, particularly top universities such as Oxbridge, look at Year 7-11 achievements. As I am moving from my current school to a new school (I just finished my O levels), I was wondering if my achievements in this school would be significant. Would they take into consideration my achievements here or would the board more like look at my achievements in my 6th Form?

You tell them about all the qualifications you have (eg GCSEs) and expect to get (eg A-levels).

The most recent ones are generally the most important.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3

When I went to uni all they looked at was my diploma. My GCSEs were only good for getting me out of Key Skills (which I had to do anyway in the end).

Grades for GCSE and A Level will need to be included on your UCAS application. Regarding other achievements, your sixth form will write a reference for you, but obviously if you're changing schools they won't include anything from your previous school unless you specifically ask them to, and can provide proof. Most teachers will ask what you want included in your reference and let you read over it.

Ideally for your personal statement most of your achievements (non-grades wise) should be from the last 2-3 years maximum. I certainly wouldn't recommend writing about things you did in years 7-9. There is, however, nothing to stop you writing 'I achieved X award through doing Y' and not stating when this was or what school it was at, as this would be a waste of your character allowance anyway. If you're mentioning older achievements then make sure they are relevant to your degree and you are discussing what you have learnt from it, rather than just listing achievements.

Quick Reply

Latest