The Student Room Group

Do I tell employers I'm on a gap year?

I'm currently applying for jobs for my gap year but I'm wondering whether I should put on my application that I'll be applying for university this autumn and will probably be leaving the following year. I want to study paramedic science and I'm applying for jobs like Healthcare Assistant etc so the job is related to my course and I want to get experience. I'm just worried telling them that will put them off employing me but on the other hand, they'll believe I'm more motivated to get experience so they may favour me? I'm not sure. Also, I feel I'd have to tell them if they ask me 'where do you see yourself in five years time?'.
Reply 1
Original post by nutellalover91
I'm currently applying for jobs for my gap year but I'm wondering whether I should put on my application that I'll be applying for university this autumn and will probably be leaving the following year. I want to study paramedic science and I'm applying for jobs like Healthcare Assistant etc so the job is related to my course and I want to get experience. I'm just worried telling them that will put them off employing me but on the other hand, they'll believe I'm more motivated to get experience so they may favour me? I'm not sure. Also, I feel I'd have to tell them if they ask me 'where do you see yourself in five years time?'.

no don't tell them just say you've finished school and want to find work cause you don't want to get turned down cause they know you're going to leave them in a year... why do they need to know anyways ?
Original post by nutellalover91

Usually you don't say you will be leaving if you are applying for a permanent role, but in this sector and level, when there is a well known need for work experience, then it's probably fine to be clear you are building career experience.
I really wouldn't. It isn't really any of their business and I know from experience they are less likely to give you a job if they don't think you will be there working for them forever. All they need to know is that you're available to work now. Telling them you're enthusiastic about building more experience will help you. Also, tell them you're interested in as permanent a placement as possible but they don't need to know you're doing a gap year.

If they ask you where you think you will be in 5 years time, be vague but determined because you need an enthusiastic answer but not to spill all of your personal information to them - just enough. Just say you would have loved to have gained more experience in your field, particularly at the place you're applying. I've gotten so many job offers that have stalled the minute they worked out my education was more important than my job. Of course it is, but they don't need to know that so long as you're doing your job now, well and when asked to.
Reply 4
I don't think you need to tell them since you're still available for a whole year. :smile:

If they ask what your future plans are, you could just say you think you'd like to work in healthcare because you like people, you don't need to be specific. Plus if you get a bank/flexible HCA job there's no reason you can't potentially carry it on during your training. I start my postgrad in Nursing in September so I am applying for bank HCA at the moment with a view to working when I'm not on placement.

Good luck! :smile:
Thanks for all the replies :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending