The Student Room Group

Compulsory Military Service for the Unemployed

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Kieran1996
well well

I could see that working, just put some British soaps in front of them on large TVs and it would work

it is a Win-WIn situation. *
I agree to military service, but not as a forced career option for people.

My opinion is to have a 1 year Military Service like they have in Germany, Singapore, Israel etc.

This should be done at the age of 18 after Secondary Education before university. All citizens must enroll in this service. Those, who for health reasons, cannot enroll would have to enroll in a Social Service programme.

Both schemes will be paid. At the end of the scheme, people confirm whether they want to progress through the system or leave and go to University.
Original post by Wired_1800
I agree to military service, but not as a forced career option for people.

My opinion is to have a 1 year Military Service like they have in Germany, Singapore, Israel etc.

This should be done at the age of 18 after Secondary Education before university. All citizens must enroll in this service. Those, who for health reasons, cannot enroll would have to enroll in a Social Service programme.

Both schemes will be paid. At the end of the scheme, people confirm whether they want to progress through the system or leave and go to University.

You've given my idea grace

But seriously yes, this is a much better way to do it and kinda what I meant but incorrectly said

I feel we would all benefit from the experience and also if required have some training

But seriously yes, this is a much better way to do it and kinda what I meant but incorrectly said

I feel we would all benefit from the experience and also if required have some training

Happy to help. :biggrin:

On a serious note. I think that people will benefit from such a service. As long as they are not conscripted to fight against their will, I am open to this 1 year service plan.

I also think that national service (military or social) will benefit people and may improve the strength of national cohesion.

What's stopping you from joining up?
Original post by Wired_1800
Happy to help. :biggrin:

On a serious note. I think that people will benefit from such a service. As long as they are not conscripted to fight against their will, I am open to this 1 year service plan.

I also think that national service (military or social) will benefit people and may improve the strength of national cohesion.

Yes I take back the whole conscription thing... oops.

Or if it could be integrated into education that would be great.

While I was at secondary school I was in the CCF and it helped me develop a lot. Also have lots of good memories from it :smile:
Original post by Drewski
What's stopping you from joining up?

Well I have a job and my point was to the unemployed so... yeah
Reply 27
Firstly please do not be rude and disrespectful.

In the wake of the EU exit, with these "immigrants" leaving and giving up their jobs I would like to suggest an idea for those who will still be unemployed.

Those who are not mentally or physically ill, out of work for a year, will have to join the Army / RAF / Navy. Effectively pre-war conscription.

Thoughts???

Absolutely up for it, so you can contribute to your country.
Well I have a job and my point was to the unemployed so... yeah

So it's going to "benefit people and may improve the strength of national cohesion", but only for the unemployed? You're too good for it?
Bring back national service maybe we should all do a short stint there. It would toughen people up and Instill a sense of public service
Original post by M14B
Absolutely up for it, so you can contribute to your country.

exactly, although Drewski did highlight a valid point about finance

If it could be financed and managed it would be better than allowing them to get money for "nothing"
Original post by Drewski
So it's going to "benefit people and may improve the strength of national cohesion", but only for the unemployed? You're too good for it?

When on earth did I say the quoted parts???

Too good for the military? No I am not

So what is your idea on how people who have been unemployed for years and have claimed benefits should be dealt with?

The aim of this is to find something useful for people who haven't worked for years and claim benefits other than a) allow them to continue or b) catch them out and stop their benefits and just let them suffer on the street
When on earth did I say the quoted parts???

Too good for the military? No I am not

So what is your idea on how people who have been unemployed for years and have claimed benefits should be dealt with?

The aim of this is to find something useful for people who haven't worked for years and claim benefits other than a) allow them to continue or b) catch them out and stop their benefits and just let them suffer on the street

You agreed with the post that said it.

So you agree that it'll help cohesion. But only if some people do it? Cohesion means everything working together - which means everyone should do it.

Training courses. Vocational courses. Public service. Council service. Put them into the community. All of those are better ideas.

This situation is not a military problem, it does not require a military solution. Nobody in the military wants it, the military (hell, the country) cannot afford it. No government would ever sign it off.

I'm willing to bet that everyone agreeing with this idea wouldn't dare join up themselves. It's all right for other people. But not them.
Original post by Drewski
You agreed with the post that said it.

So you agree that it'll help cohesion. But only if some people do it? Cohesion means everything working together - which means everyone should do it.

Training courses. Vocational courses. Public service. Council service. Put them into the community. All of those are better ideas.

This situation is not a military problem, it does not require a military solution. Nobody in the military wants it, the military (hell, the country) cannot afford it. No government would ever sign it off.

I'm willing to bet that everyone agreeing with this idea wouldn't dare join up themselves. It's all right for other people. But not them.

Ohhhh I see

Well if I was unemployed for a year I'd be fine with this

A year is more than enough time to find a job if you don't want to do it

I think it's clear that the initial idea was wrong, but I guess what we all agree now is to put people who are unemployed for a year into the services which need them, and if they don't like it then they can find a better more suitable job for themself

I think it's clear that the initial idea was wrong, but I guess what we all agree now is to put people who are unemployed for a year into the services which need them
, and if they don't like it then they can find a better more suitable job for themself

There's the key.

Put simply, the military does not need them.
Original post by Drewski
There's the key.

Put simply, the military does not need them.

Well I am glad this conversation has lead to a positive outcome.

If only the leaders of our country could hold such discussions.
It comes from a time when we had umpteen colonies all over the place, not realistic for today's world.

Besides why would you risk turning away willing volunteers for people who are forced to be there?
Original post by JamesN88
It comes from a time when we had umpteen colonies all over the place, not realistic for today's world.

Besides why would you risk turning away willing volunteers for people who are forced to be there?

Well I guess the system would need to be points based. But I feel like rather than put them to the military, after seeing what people have said so far, it makes more sense to put them in services which need them. Even if they hate it, hopefully they'll gain some skills and it might motivate them to find a better job.

At the minute some of those have no "incentive" to go looking for a job as they know they've cracked the benefit system.
Well I guess the system would need to be points based. But I feel like rather than put them to the military, after seeing what people have said so far, it makes more sense to put them in services which need them. Even if they hate it, hopefully they'll gain some skills and it might motivate them to find a better job.

At the minute some of those have no "incentive" to go looking for a job as they know they've cracked the benefit system.

Their days are numbered now anyway with this Tory govt, it's hard enough for genuine people looking for work who aren't milking it to get what they're entitled to.
Original post by JamesN88
Their days are numbered now anyway with this Tory govt, it's hard enough for genuine people looking for work who aren't milking it to get what they're entitled to.

I agree. Let's hope their days are numbered

It would be nice if we did have a better system for all unemployed, not just the ones who exploit it, friends and family I know have not had the best support... although they have been a bit too demanding sometimes

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending