The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

You can't say I'm racist because

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Catholic_
Here we go again, insinuating only white people are somehow racist. Those tolerant, peaceful minorities hey? they all love white people...

If you're happy to do that Mr poster, be happy when people correlate Muslims with terrorism, antisemitism, non-Muslim hate, raping and grooming white women, honour killing and international conquest of non-Muslims.

Ta ta

The victim complex is real :lol:
You have more in common with the Islamic apologists then you might like to think
Original post by WBZ144
That was my point; it would be completely irrational (not to mention intolerant) to hate everyone from every conservative party everywhere. How do we even determine which party in every country constitutes the Tory equivalent, if it's not in the name?

Hating a certain community of muslims you know, e.g. because they still practice FGM, is somewhat understandable. However seeing someone in a hijab you've never met and hurling abuse at them, despite not having a clue about what their personal beliefs are, is unacceptable so I see your point.

As long as it doesn't extend to "Criticizing Islam should be against the law", which is what most people in my social circle believe. Even questioning the Qu'ran is enough to get you branded as a "Racist" in some circumstances.

You do, many bigoted people aren't intelligent enough to tell the difference. That's why it is normally followed up by a phrase such as "we should send them all back". That's also a reason why hate crimes against Sikhs has soared.

I'll consider myself privileged, in the sense I don't know anyone this retarded in real life :frown:
Original post by Another
Islam is an ideology... it's like calling someone racist because they hate Tories, on the basis that they are mainly middle class white men. Saying "I dislike people who think a certain way" does not make you a bigot.

I think criticising Islam would be more like criticising Conservative policies. Now obviously not every Tory supports all conservative policies, and the Conservative party is not a monolithic institute and has held many different policies throughout its history. And even within the Tory party there exist different factions that hold slightly different views and outlooks.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Another
There's an equivalent Conservative Party in pretty much any area that practices democracy

Being a Muslim is a choice. Being a Pole is not. Criticising someone else's lifestyle choice doesn't make you a bigot. Discriminating against someone on the basis of religion still makes you a scumbag, but it's a different class to racism

Hating the Conservative ideology, or hating Islam is not the same as hating Tories or hating Muslims. What do you think of a shopseller who wouldn't let a Tory in his shop? Or who would verbally assault a Tory? That's definitely wrong, so is the same behaviour directed towards Muslims.
I agree with you OP, tarnishing all muslims the same way is extremely prejudice. I wouldn't call it xenophobia, however i would call it outright stupid. Anyone with half a brain cell can see the issue with hating millions based on religion. It's the same with any ideological group.

BUT i do have to add this must not and can not be confused with Islam the ideology. There is no wrong in attacking the religion itself.
Original post by Another
Hating a certain community of muslims you know, e.g. because they still practice FGM, is somewhat understandable. However seeing someone in a hijab you've never met and hurling abuse at them, despite not having a clue about what their personal beliefs are, is unacceptable so I see your point.

As long as it doesn't extend to "Criticizing Islam should be against the law", which is what most people in my social circle believe. Even questioning the Qu'ran is enough to get you branded as a "Racist" in some circumstances.

I'll consider myself privileged, in the sense I don't know anyone this retarded in real life :frown:

True, but hating everyone who practices FGM would mean hating what would be almost entire countries in some parts of Africa and or the majority of residents in those countries at least. On top of that you would be hating minority communities that practice it in some parts of the Middle East, Asia etc. Then it would extend to victims of FGM as well, as many of them grow to become supportive of it becomes they see it as their "culture". That's a lot of hatred to carry :P

I do have an intense dislike for men who want it done on their wives because they fear that the women will be unfaithful or those who do it to their daughters to stop "lewd behaviour" but for most of the part I see it as a dangerous practice that needs to be eradicated through education and anti-FGM laws.

I completely understand those who dislike a specific category of Muslims, such as those who support Daesh. I share such a dislike.
Here we go again, insinuating only white people are somehow racist. Those tolerant, peaceful minorities hey? they all love white people...

If you're happy to do that Mr poster, be happy when people correlate Muslims with terrorism, antisemitism, non-Muslim hate, raping and grooming white women, honour killing and international conquest of non-Muslims.

Ta ta

I rest my case.
Original post by Zargabaath
I agree with you OP, tarnishing all muslims the same way is extremely prejudice. I wouldn't call it xenophobia, however i would call it outright stupid. Anyone with half a brain cell can see the issue with hating millions based on religion. It's the same with any ideological group.

BUT i do have to add this must not and can not be confused with Islam the ideology. There is no wrong in attacking the religion itself.

PRSOM

By the way, I used the term "xenophobia" in reference to the hatred of Poles while "bigotry" referred to the hatred of Muslims.

Yes, one should definitely not confuse it with criticism of the religion. Otherwise it becomes a case of crying wolf, and it gets harder to call out the actual bigots.

Ta ta

When did he say, insinuate, or even hint that only white people are racist?
Original post by WBZ144
Are people indoctrinated from birth to be members of the Tory Party? Didn't think so.

Besides, I wasn't aware that the Tories were a worldwide political party of one and a half billion with various sects and beliefs, my bad.

Terrible analogy.

Actually its a very good analogy a belief isn't any different just because more people believe it. And actually yes people are indoctrinated from birth to support the tories.
Original post by wildleaves
Actually its a very good analogy a belief isn't any different just because more people believe it. And actually yes people are indoctrinated from birth to support the tories.

The Tory Party hardly covers dozens of sects and various different teachings. It's not just about the numbers. There isn't a racial element to some types of Tory hatred either. And exactly how widespread is hatred of Tory supporters, anyway? How many Tory policies have various interpretations, according to their supporters?

That being said I would think that someone who genuinely hated people for just being Tories was intolerant and ignorant.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by WBZ144
Poles aren't a race/Muslims aren't a race."

I have seen this frequently online and while I agree that the wording is incorrect, guess what? You can STILL be an xenophobe, you can STILL be a bigot. And that makes you just as big a scumbag as a racist. By the way, there is a positive correlation between xenophobia along with other types of bigotry and racism. So if you are one, it's not unlikely that you're the other as well.

I hate Islam and there is nothing you can say to change my mind
Original post by Manchester_123
I hate Islam and there is nothing you can say to change my mind

You're not relevant enough for me to care to change your mind.

However, if you hate Muslims then at least have the guts to accept and embrace what you are.
Original post by Another
Criticising someone else's lifestyle choice doesn't make you a bigot.

I agree with you, but I'd like to clarify that criticising and being introlerant are two different things.

Saying 'I dislike the Tory party because of their policies, etc' is criticising, and that, as you say, is completely fine.

Saying 'I HATE THE TORIES BECAUSE THEY'RE ALL SCUM WHO DON'T CARE ABOUT POOR PEOPLE' I think is intolerance and that is when people cross the line in bigotism territory.

When you shut out different ideas completely, have a narrow minded view of other people's choices, then you are a bigot.

But, as you said, criticising someone for their views definately doesn't make you a bigot. I just wanted to show everyone what the difference is, as there are quite a few people like the second example on here.... :tongue:
Original post by WBZ144
You're not relevant enough for me to care to change your mind.

However, if you hate Muslims then at least have the guts to accept and embrace what you are.

Are you blind and retarded. I said Islam you fool. I'm an atheist.
Original post by WBZ144

Correction: Poles ARE a race because their are ethnically Polish. I don't mean to be rude, but you need to get your facts right.
Original post by Manchester_123
Are you blind and retarded. I said Islam you fool. I'm an atheist.

And I said "Muslims" in my OP and did not mention Islam at all, so why did you feel the need to respond to that with "I hate Islam and there is nothing you can do about that", unless hatred of Muslims came along with your hatred for their religion? It's easy to see through the likes of you, just have the guts to admit to it.
Original post by Adamski191
Correction: Poles ARE a race because their are ethnically Polish. I don't mean to be rude, but you need to get your facts right.

Race and ethnicity are not the same thing, so perhaps you are the one who needs to.
Original post by WBZ144

I have seen this frequently online and while I agree that the wording is incorrect, guess what? You can STILL be an xenophobe, you can STILL be a bigot. And that makes you just as big a scumbag as a racist. By the way, there is a positive correlation between xenophobia along with other types of bigotry and racism. So if you are one, it's not unlikely that you're the other as well.

Well, technically they can claim they are not racist and be correct. But they are still bigoted, as you pointed out and that is still just as bad because racism is only one branch of bigotism. It's purely a matter of linguistics.
Original post by WBZ144
Race and ethnicity are not the same thing, so perhaps you are the one who needs to.

Excuse me, but do you even know what race 'is'? If so, do tell me.

Latest

Trending

Trending