The Student Room Group

grammar school? Is it right for me?

Scroll to see replies

I was in a similar situation to you a few years back, chose grammar school because I thought it would be the 'better' option, then ended up hating it and consequently failed my A-levels. I went to a grammar school sixth form and everyone who was already there already had their friendship groups etc so I ended up making friends with a few of the other new girls like me but still never had any close friends. I'm quite smart but everyone there was really clever so it was kind of depressing when your entire class was getting A*/A grades etc and a B was considered 'bad'. Also, the teaching was no better, infact worse, compared to my old school. Students got the grades because they were bright to begin with, not because the teachers were amazing. It felt like being at school again which I hated, even had to wear a uniform. There was zero freedom compared to that which you'd get at college (had to stay in school during our free periods etc). I ended up failing my a-levels which is funny because all of my friends who went to colleges got way better grades and are now doing really well at uni. If you work hard and put the effort in, you will do well regardless of whether you go to a grammar school or not. Go with where you feel like you'd ENJOY the next 2 years of your life more. I wish someone would have told me that because unis don't give a **** where you studied as long as you have a good academic history and meet their entry requirements. Once you have your degree you'll never be asked what college you went to etc. Wish someone would have told me this before. That's not to say you can't go to a grammar school and enjoy it, but I feel like at college everyone's on the same boat, you're all new, you're treated more like adults (in comparison to a sixth form), have a better social life etc.
Original post by mediaya
Thanks, i know am lucky:king1: , i always was since i was born orelse i wouln't be born....... Jk:tongue:

I guess when you say "first" that means before i made this thread:K: ...... If so than i am sorry to make you scared:ashamed2: ....... But please:adore: don't think that all that people have said is true:no:because people think DIFFERENTLY, there are those who really enjoyed going to grammar school (they are probably like you) and for others it didnt suit so they went to college coz theu needed a more relaxed environment.

TBH, i dont think it makes much difference to which TYPE of school you go to (as long as it's good:gthumb:) as long as you are hard working, like ur subjects and are determined (which i am sure you are) :clap2::woo:

I am just kind of overeacting with this matter but i swear i only just discovered it now :teehee:
(as i was writting it) that it doesn't make much difference whether you go to grammar or not. In ur case i'd say go to the grammar sixth form (coz apparently from you, the other are ****:tongue:) ans i dont want my bro to be like :damnmate::lurk:, :no: (Jk:tongue:)

Spoiler

lol that was wayyy too much (I read it) :tongue:

Thanks a lot :biggrin:
Original post by hamza772000
lol that was wayyy too much (I read it) :tongue:

Thanks a lot :biggrin:

Oops, i didn't realise how long i wrote, i swear i only meant to write 3 lines :colondollar:

You're welcome :wink:
Original post by mediaya
Oops, i didn't realise how long i wrote, i swear i only meant to write 3 lines :colondollar:

You're welcome :wink:
lol, dw, it just shows............:colondollar:...........Erm............Nothing.
lol, dw, it just shows............:colondollar:...........Erm............Nothing.

I HATE when you do that:colonhash:, why do you never finish ur sentence?
Original post by mediaya
I HATE when you do that:colonhash:, why do you never finish ur sentence?
Oh, I'm so sorryyy, but I did though :tongue:
I went to a grammar induction day recently and I didn't really like it. :redface: Some of the 'internal' students don't even bother talking to you and the teachers seem like they already know everyone which is a bit unfair. But all the neebies like myself were really nice and friendly, so we all stuck together! I'm probably still going to enrol there though.
Original post by SmallTown
I went to a grammar induction day recently and I didn't really like it. :redface: Some of the 'internal' students don't even bother talking to you and the teachers seem like they already know everyone which is a bit unfair. But all the neebies like myself were really nice and friendly, so we all stuck together! I'm probably still going to enrol there though.
Wait, are you like me? Are all the other schools around sh*t?
Wait, are you like me? Are all the other schools around sh*t?

Yeah! :biggrin: I think half my year is going to go to our local sixth form which is rubbish.
Yeah! :biggrin: I think half my year is going to go to our local sixth form which is rubbish.
No one in my year is going either sixth form or college at all! :frown: (apart from me obviously)

I'm actually nervous about going to the grammar school, at first I was excited but now..........:frown:

Are the teachers biased towards the students they already know? as in like are they more friendlier, or pay more attention, to them?
No one in my year is going either sixth form or college at all! :frown: (apart from me obviously)

I'm actually nervous about going to the grammar school, at first I was excited but now..........:frown:

Are the teachers biased towards the students they already know? as in like are they more friendlier, or pay more attention, to them?

Not biased, but they just knew their names maybe from seeing them around school so they told them to begin 'ice-breakers' and when it was time for feedback they'd be the first to contribute and stuff. I think it was because we were too nervous so that's a likely reason. Maybe it's different in your school so don't worry :biggrin:. Did you go to your induction day yet?? I think as result day looms, I'd be petrified, but right now I'm sort of excited because the induction day was ok! Actually made some friends, and met someone on the bus who takes the same route as me which is strange because I live ridiculously far away.
Not biased, but they just knew their names maybe from seeing them around school so they told them to begin 'ice-breakers' and when it was time for feedback they'd be the first to contribute and stuff. I think it was because we were too nervous so that's a likely reason. Maybe it's different in your school so don't worry :biggrin:. Did you go to your induction day yet?? I think as result day looms, I'd be petrified, but right now I'm sort of excited because the induction day was ok! Actually made some friends, and met someone on the bus who takes the same route as me which is strange because I live ridiculously far away.
Maybe it'll be different.

I don't think there was or is an induction day, which is strange.......

There was an open evening a long time ago, but I missed it :redface:

I just got a letter saying I need to bring my results, passport copy in on results day. I applied through UCAS and there were no interviews either, I got a conditional offer solely based on my predicted grades and personal statement, which I made super dramatic :tongue: and I wrote about how bad my current/previous school is/was.

After doing these exams, I feel like I have definitely met the requirements. Wbu?
Your probs better off going to a grammar if you can. The general attitude is just laid back and you will get drilled into how to pass exams. I can't complain with the teaching quality at sixth form college cuz they were awesome but it was easy to go to town for food and to smoke some cigs at lunch/during frees etc which you are unlikely to be able to do at grammar. However I think some grammar students struggle at first year of uni as they have never had to get up and do studying on their own initiative due to teachers pestering them and giving them homework all the time. This is particularly apparent with a rigour pjs course like law or history where there are deadlines which need to be met
Original post by Indeterminate
I went to MGS which is an independent boys' school in the NW.

I found it to be quite a challenging environment (academically) but the quality of teaching is exemplary and students there are constantly pushed and given the support that they need in order to realise their full potential. It's also very disciplined, which is something that I didn't mind so much. :tongue:

If you have a clear idea of what you want to achieve and are determined to work hard, then I say go for it :biggrin:

Normal sixth form colleges are probably more relaxed. :yep:

Woah, never seen someone else from MGS on tsr before....
Maybe it'll be different.

I don't think there was or is an induction day, which is strange.......

There was an open evening a long time ago, but I missed it :redface:

I just got a letter saying I need to bring my results, passport copy in on results day. I applied through UCAS and there were no interviews either, I got a conditional offer solely based on my predicted grades and personal statement, which I made super dramatic :tongue: and I wrote about how bad my current/previous school is/was.

After doing these exams, I feel like I have definitely met the requirements. Wbu?

huh?? ur saying u never had an interview, (how strange, i have 2 for the grammar school, one that i have done and the other one after results day)u never seen the school or what?
Oh, I'm so sorryyy, but I did though :tongue:

LOL, yh u did but u......were gonna say somethung and then stopped......which is..............no nothing,:tongue:
Original post by mediaya
huh?? ur saying u never had an interview, (how strange, i have 2 for the grammar school, one that i have done and the other one after results day)u never seen the school or what?
Yeah, they had interviews before but they stopped having 'em from this year I believe. They just looked at my personal statement, which they seemed to LIKE coz they told my dad that on the phone, and my predicted grades.

I had one interview for the college and got a place, in fact I applied for like 5 other crappy sixth forms and got a place straight after the interview.

I know this is really strange but yeah, I haven't seen the school :tongue:
Its known to be like the 'BEST' school in the area, and other areas too for that matter.
Original post by mediaya
LOL, yh u did but u......were gonna say somethung and then stopped......which is..............no nothing,:tongue:
lol :tongue:
Thanks, yep i've been to 3 induction day where i did 1 subject a day (3 hours) but...... I dont know.... It just seemed weird so i chose to go to the sixth form college

Btw, what is the difference between sixth form and sixth form college ad college?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yeah, they had interviews before but they stopped having 'em from this year I believe. They just looked at my personal statement, which they seemed to LIKE coz they told my dad that on the phone, and my predicted grades.

I had one interview for the college and got a place, in fact I applied for like 5 other crappy sixth forms and got a place straight after the interview.

I know this is really strange but yeah, I haven't seen the school :tongue:
Its known to be like the 'BEST' school in the area, and other areas too for that matter.

Oh okay, i never had to make a personal statement....... Dont even know how u make it

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest