The Student Room Group

FTI Consulting Insight in July

Scroll to see replies

Original post by stellaris
Yeah of course I knew but there have been some changes...

I think I applied a few days before deadline and heard back the start of this month.

Original post by mitchell.gkm
I've been offered a place - does anyone know what to expect? Is it worth missing a day of my current internship to attend?

What are you guys wearing to the Insight Day? I dont know how relaxed they actually are about dress code.
I'm gonna go for suit and tie. Last thing like this I went to I was basically the only guy without a tie on lol, erring on the side of caution this time.
Lol i have yet to still get a reply. Sad times. Only have today and tomorrow to get one ):
Reply 23
Original post by AenigmaFx
Lol i have yet to still get a reply. Sad times. Only have today and tomorrow to get one ):

Hope they replied to you today!

Or if not, and if it's any consolation, my friend didn't hear back in the end as well :frown:
I'm gonna go for suit and tie. Last thing like this I went to I was basically the only guy without a tie on lol, erring on the side of caution this time.

Ah but I thought it was meant to be business casual? Would a suit and tie not be too formal?

I wasn't even sure if I should wear a jacket.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 25

Original post by KingBach12
Ah but I thought it was meant to be business casual? Would a suit and tie not be too formal?

Do you mind me asking you guys what unis were represented at the Insight Day?

& did they say anything about whether they targeted their student recruitment in terms of degrees/unis etc?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by CompSci16

& did they say anything about whether they targeted their student recruitment in terms of degrees/unis etc?

Eh I think there were about 30 of us with about 8 unis represented? Cambridge, Durham, Imperial, LSE, Oxford, St Andrews, UCL and Warwick. Though @mitchell.gkm may have spoken to more people.

They didnt say anything about targeting student recruitment, and there was a good mixture of degrees - not just economists. All years were represented; there were people who just completed their first year of uni up to PhD students.

Hope this helped :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
I ended up wearing a tie then taking it off about 20 minutes in...

Original post by CompSci16

I think @KingBach12 covered all the universities there. They didn't mention any specific unis and actually talked a lot about how they want a diverse mix of universities and degrees, On this point, I spoke to people doing engineering, (quite a few), sciences, economics, politics, maths, and accounting & finance (which I do).

There really was a big mix of people - they stressed heavily how you didn't have to do economics to be a suitable candidate.
They didn't mention any specific unis and actually talked a lot about how they want a diverse mix of universities and degrees

Original post by KingBach12

They didnt say anything about targeting student recruitment

@Princepieman thoughts? seems that some firms care less and less about this 'idea' of target unis :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by C_Richards99
@Princepieman thoughts? seems that some firms care less and less about this 'idea' of target unis :smile:

They're not investment banks or pure strategy consulting firms, don't really know much about FTI apart from they're mostly an economic consulting firm. So can't comment on there I'm afraid.

The bottom line is though, most firms will say they don't target anywhere to the public because it's good PR, but when you speak to people behind the scenes you get to know a bit more about how the process actually works.

Even in this case 'mix of diverse universities' translates to: *'Cambridge, Durham, Imperial, LSE, Oxford, St Andrews, UCL and Warwick' with what the poster above said. That is neither diverse nor a mix lol.
Reply 30
Original post by Princepieman
They're not investment banks or pure strategy consulting firms, don't really know much about FTI apart from they're mostly an economic consulting firm. So can't comment on there I'm afraid.

The bottom line is though, most firms will say they don't target anywhere to the public because it's good PR, but when you speak to people behind the scenes you get to know a bit more about how the process actually works.

Even in this case 'mix of diverse universities' translates to: *'Cambridge, Durham, Imperial, LSE, Oxford, St Andrews, UCL and Warwick' with what the poster above said. That is neither diverse nor a mix lol.

Would you say Durham > Nottingham?
Original post by GodOfSea
Would you say Durham > Nottingham?

For what specifically?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 32
For what specifically?

Posted from TSR Mobile

General rep.

As a target uni in finance.
General rep.

As a target uni in finance.

General rep, depends on the subject.

Finance, Durham places marginally more but they're close enough for it not to matter.

Posted from TSR Mobile

A fair point, but consultancy firms in general are more selective than investment banks since there are less of them.

Those are just the universities that were there at their insight programme, not their target universities or anything (just happens there are those select 8). It's more likely that they would hire from a lot more unis.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 35
General rep, depends on the subject.

Finance, Durham places marginally more but they're close enough for it not to matter.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks.

Bristol or Durham?
Thanks.

Bristol or Durham?

They're all in the same tier

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending